“Convenient downtown location”

Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Toronto, Canada
“Convenient downtown location”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Small boutique hotel located in the core of the downtown area, however, it doesn't really live up to its 4 star rating. Stayed here for 4 days with my wife in an upgraded Sterling Suite ($220/night), which was located on the 10th floor adjacent to the main elevator shaft. The sound of the elevators whizzing by our room was certainly somewhat annoying, especially at night but not nearly as noisy as the baseboard heaters, which tended to make a loud "clicking" every 10-15 minutes as they cycled on/off. The room itself was very clean and modern with a separate sitting area and kitchen, which were really handy. The suite included two large LCD TV's (in the bedroom and sitting area) which was a nice touch and even an electric fireplace, but this wasn't working. One night, we decided to have dinner/drinks in the hotel lounge on the 2nd floor and positioned ourselves next to the large fireplace there, but it wasn't working either. Parking at this hotel was also a challenge since they have a very limited number of outdoor covered spaces which tended to fill up quickly when the hotel was busy. Our favourite features of this hotel were the dual shower heads and the complimentary breakfast buffet, which was actually quite good considering the price. If we return to Edmonton, we'll likely stay elsewhere since the city is full of 3 star hotels.

Room Tip: Not next to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Haidasun,

We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are sorry you do not feel like our hotel lived up to it’s rating.

Thank you for the feedback on the baseboard heaters, we will be sure to have Maintenance look in on the issue. It is unfortunate that the elevators disturbed you. We would happily put you in a room away from them during your next visit.

We apologize that you were not able to take advantage of the fireplaces in our hotel. They are such a lovely feature and we will work on educating the staff on how to properly use them and direct the guests to use them.

We are pleased to see that you were otherwise happy with the room, especially the lovely dual showerheads. They are such a lovely feature in the rooms.

Thank you again for your comments. We will work hard to rectify the issues listed and make elevate the level of service. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further and let us know how we can restore your faith in us.

Warm Regards,

Olaf Miede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The hotel is in a good downtown location. Clean, modern rooms with comfy bed. The complimentary breakfast is very large and varied. Parking was a little difficult do to a wedding but we found free on street parking. The building is well maintained, bright and modern.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Alberta
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We have stayed here many times. The rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and the location is convenient. The one problem is getting a room here as it is often booked solid. Parking, wine tasting and good breakfast is free.

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Second time staying here. We had exceptional service. We were upgraded to a lovely room along with a $50 dining credit because the room I requested was unavailable. The staff is polite, helpful , friendly and they give top notch service. The hotel includes a lovely FREE continental breakfast, FREE wine tasting in the evening, FREE parking and FREE internet!! Where do you get that these days?? It's clean and modern and in a great location downtown close to everything and especially close to shopping! There is great restaurant next door called WILDFLOWER it's won awards and has become one of my favorites. I wish we had one in Calgary! Overall FANTASTIC!!!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor! They have a fantastic terrace off your room!
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My first time at this hotel and I think this will become the new favourite for business trips to Edmonton. Fresh, clean and modern, free wifi with excellent connectivity, complimentary hot and cold breakfast buffet, very good rates ($168), nice beds and shower. Awesome restaurant rated one of the best. Of course, great professional and very welcoming staff. Downtown location very central and walking distance to Edmonton Centre. Starbucks next door. Highly recommend this for business travel. Didn't have time to check out other amenities. Will report on them next time .

Wpg., MB, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

From the moment we walked into this hotel, to the moment I checked out, it was amazing. Jennifer, Jay and Mike were at the front desk to check the three of us in, and they were fun and friendly and more than helpful! They had suggestions on places to go to eat, Jennifer told us about the Common Social Hall, with martinis on tap, etc. (She's so wonderful, that Jennifer!)

I had a lovely room, with a fabulous king sized platform bed, small but more than adequate bathroom and a large flat screen TV.

I had opted out of housekeeping for my stay, so ran through my coffee pods for the Keurig within the first 24 hours. When I went down to ask for more, the lovely gentleman created a 'coffee care package' with coffee, creamer and sugar, and brough it up to my room.

The restaurant staff was awesome, helpful and fun as well. And seriously, free glass of wine and appies every night?! AMAZING! And honestly the very best breakfasts I've ever had in a hotel. EVER.

I can't wait for my next business trip to Edmonton! I don't care if it's -40 and I have to walk outside for 20 minutes to get to my office, this is now my go-to hotel.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The team at the Matrix do an excellent job of honouring and welcoming frequent stayers - they treat me like royalty when I'm there, remember my name, remember my favourite requests, and the whole staff makes every stay easy. I call the Matrix my "home away from home" and it is the staff that creates that feeling. Good breakfast every morning, lovely wine and cheese each evening, all for what I consider a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: The elevators can be a bit slow during heavy traffic periods (mornings and after work) so staying on...