“Poor room and not sorry for it lol”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Belleville, Canada
“Poor room and not sorry for it lol”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

stayed overnight and had a terrible room which was beside the elevators…complained to front desk in the morning and no regret expressed from the front desk lol…I've stayed at this hotel 3 times in total now in the last year and this last time tore it lol. I won't be staying there again. incidentally I'm not impressed with the breakfast either as the eggs have had cheese on them every time I'm there and being unapologetic about not liking cheese I never get eggs or bacon there. I've always enjoyed the Sutton and have stayed there many many times over the years so I won't be letting the crazy lady of the house talk me into the Matrix again :)
one last thing worth mentioning is the city of Edmonton is deplorable about removing snow from the streets rendering the access from the side street a non option however the wonderful taxi drivers (2) both let us out in the snowbank instead of driving into the lobby parking due to inability to get back out on the street lol

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WarrenCWade
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Warren W,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you found your room next to the elevator disruptive. If you choose to stay with us again, we will be sure to put you in a room away from the elevators to ensure your comfort.

We are sorry that you felt the level of service from Front Desk did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in having staff that do everything possible to create an exceptional experience for our guests.

Our focus with the complimentary breakfast buffet is to offer house-made, nutritious and unique dishes, which our chef changes throughout the week for variety. We are truly sorry that you did not find anything to suit you during your stay with us.

We appreciate the feedback as it allows us to improve our products and services. Thank you for choosing the Matrix Hotel for your stay. Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss your stay further or let us know what we can do your faith in us.

Warm Regards,

Olaf Miede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cochrane, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had high expectations for the Matrix Hotel, based upon Tripadvisor comments. I suppose this might have been a bit of a trendy hotel when it was first converted from a shabby old downtown hotel or apartment building, but the old bones are still there and now everything is beginning to wear and fall apart. Walls and furnishings are scratched, scrapped and pot-marked. The bedside lamps hung like decapitated fixtures, barely still clinging to the headboard. I found the hallways dark and dingy and parking is a bit of a mess on a cold winter's night. Breakfast was no big whup, unless you like cheap pork sausage, slices of mealy looking bacon, pig, pig and more cheap pig - not even hash browns or potatoes of any sort. I just found the place to be pretentious and run down. Perhaps it has seen better days, but I was looking for an accommodation that cared about the details… this is not it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear GrittyMan,

We appreciate your feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry you did not find our property to be the high quality establishment that we strive it to be. Having been open for five years we found it necessary to execute a refreshment plan, which includes guest room painting, carpet replacement and woodwork touch ups. In 2013 we replaced all guest room televisions, upgraded our Wi-Fi service and started a bed replacement program.

We are surprised to hear that you did not find the complimentary breakfast suitable as it we often get great feedback from our guests. Our goal is to provide guests with a variety of nutritious and tasty items all made in-house by our chef who rotates the menu throughout the week.

We thank you for choosing the Matrix Hotel for your stay and apologize again for the shortfalls in product/service that you encountered. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further or if there is anything we can do to restore your faith in us.

Warm Regards,

Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

When we were deciding where to go for a few days vacation, the moment I suggested coming back to The Matrix, my wife's eyes lit up! While some aspects of the hotel are starting to show a bit of wear, it is still one of my favourite hotels in ANY city. TVs have been changed to a bit more user friendly cable box, showing that the hotel listens to its guests who had difficulties with the old system (never had a problem personally). Breakfasts are still spectacular, Sterling Suites are still an amazing suite, especially if you are here for more than 1-2 nights. Located right by the elevators on all floors might be a noise issue for some, but if you can work around it, the rooms themselves are great! If you happen to overhear a conversation at another table during breakfast, good chance you will hear someone else praising the hotel. Had a few service requests that were very promptly handled except for one. When we called a second time, the front desk totally owned up to dropping the ball, and got the call handled immediately. Sometimes someone makes a mistake, which is easily forgiven when they are honest about it and fix it right away. Keep up the amazing work, Matrix! I'm already trying to figure out a reason to come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed November 2013
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Last year I stayed at another hotel closeby and it was excellent. The Matrix was even better! The staff was very friendly and efficient. From checkin to checkout it was first class experience. One particular aspect that stood out was the free breakfast. At most hotel free breakfast are at best so so. But this breakfast was really good with nice variety and quality of food. Room was nice. Most of the time a room is a room. But the room/bathroom had a few nice touches, was very clean and cosy. All staff was really nice (reception, room service, breakfast etc.).

I do not usually stay at very expensive hotel. But I occasionally have (like the Paris Hilton for example) so I can recognize an exceptional hotel. Considering the relatively modest cost of the Matrix, it had the feel of a much more expensive hotel. Great value for the money. I would not hesitate to recommend the Matrix to family and friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
edmonton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Recently enjoyed a very relaxing and pleasant 'staycation' at the Matrix Hotel. Everything about the experience was excellent. The staff were all friendly, pleasant, and helpful. The wine and cheese in the evening was a nice touch. The breakfast buffet was definitely a pleasant surprise particularly the eggs Benedict - the Hollandaise had a lovely rich colour and was nicely spiced, the English muffin crisp rather than soggy, and the yolk had just a nice amount of runniness to it. The surprise was that they were served in the usual buffet metal warmers and yet still were so good. The location is handy to some nice restaurants nearby as well as the rest of downtown. Overall - an excellent and relaxing staycation and a place that I will recommend to anyone looking for a quality stay in downtown Edmonton.

Room Tip: 1515 - corner room so only 1 room beside it and good views from the floor to ceiling windows
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank edmondon
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip at the beginning of November and absolutely loved it.

The staff were really friendly when I checked in and out.

My room was on the 15th floor. The bath tub was deep which made it feel more like a jacuzzi than an average hotel tub. My favourite part was the floor to ceiling windows in my room!

I was very impressed with the breakfast! I walked into the dining room on my first day to find eggs Benedict and fruit kabobs! During my three night stay the hot breakfast changed each morning which was a nice touch. There was a section of pastries and one morning I had a freshly baked chocolate chip muffin.

I used the gym, it was small, but has all the basics. There was a water cooler, towels and flat screen TV's in the room.

The location is good for wandering around downtown. Starbucks is next to the hotel.

I felt like a princess at this hotel and now find myself comparing all other hotels too it. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Good location downtown, clean and modern room. My baseboard heater made loud clicking noises regularly during the night, keeping me awake. It was frustrating! I eventually shut the heat down all together and it seemed to alleviate the problem. The front desk staff were helpful with recommending local places to eat and directions to get where I needed to be.

The breakfast was well-stocked with hot and cold options, although I didn't like that the servers/table cleaners (who did no serving or coffee-bringing) gave a receipt with a gratuity line to fill in. I didn't attend the wine/cheese hour, but it did seem like a nice pre-dinner option.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear floatie43,

Thank you for your comments. All feedback is taken seriously to help us improve our products and service.

We are sorry that your room heater was disruptive. If you would be so kind as to let us know what room you were in, we would be happy to have Maintenance have a look and fix the issue.

The receipts at the complimentary breakfast are to put the room number in so we can ensure we are not charging guests of the hotel but outside patrons are being charged appropriately for the breakfast.

We are glad the Front Desk staff was so helpful. We pride ourselves in having a knowledgeable and friendly staff so we are happy they made an impression.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly or make any additional suggestions, please contact me directly.

Warm Regards