“nice stay but idems stolen by staff..”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 20 January 2014

first off id like to say my fiance and i had a lovely stay at the matrix hotel over christmas.. we checked in on dec 24th and checked out dec 26th, we stayed on the 16th floor in a platnuim suite for the 2 days we were there... and paid alot of money for our stay as well... everything was nice the room was clean...when we checked out we has accidently left a few idems behind in the bedroom closet... we called to notify the matrix hotel of the belongings behind in an idemized list... turns out only half of our things were recovered... i personally was very upset because i had left behind a very sentimental gift and it was one of the idems that were not recovered... my fault granted for not double checking but i would like to suggest to the matrix hotel that they screen their cleaning staff alot better as they do have a theif on staff...we took every mesure to recover our left behind idems thinking that they would all be returned seeing as we were only one of a few rooms rented out over christmas holidays...apperantly not! because of this we will NEVER stay at this hotel again.. not because it wasn't nice but because of the low standards of their staff on hand.... lesson learnt always double check your room! very sad about not recovering all of our things from this hotel and very dissapointed knowing that some one on the cleaning staff got to keep my brand new very expencive red velvet shoes and the rest of our things :( SHAME ON YOU!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lola881
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear lola881,

We are disappointed by your review of your stay with us as it was our understanding that together we had concluded that this was a lost and found issue. As some items were returned to you and this continues to be a sensitive issue, we ask that you contact us for further review.

Olaf Miede

Write a ReviewReviews (2,858)

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed here for business in November. Booked directly with the hotel via phone. Having read reviews, specifically asked for a suite away from the elevators. Was assured this was fine.

Arrived, was told that all of that particular suite are located next to elevator (building design). However, this is where the front desk experience went from good to excellent.

Without missing a beat I was upgraded to the platinum suite (or whatever its called) on the top floor. Suite itself is very nice. Gas fireplace pumps out so much heat I had to have the windows open in Edmonton in November!

Room itself - housekeeping needs to step up their game. There were items missing from the minibar area (I had no interest in being charged for their own failure to note these things). The blackout curtains in the bedroom were filthy. Disgusting. Also attention to detail like cleaning in the corners in the bathroom where dirt and grime are clearly visible.

For $250 per night I would at least expect a better cleaning job.

I mentioned these things on checkout (I didn't complain - I hesitated when she asked how everything was, and then she insisted I tell her). When I did so, she was also appalled, and slashed the room in 1/2.

Overall, I cannot recall better front desk staff at any hotel anywhere. However, the maintenance lack of attention to detail is what kept this from getting 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank notyetworldly
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Matrix is a gem near the Alberta Legislature and downtown business centres. A tall, narrow waterfall next to a wide gas fireplace fills the lobby with unexpected warmth and visual delight that echo through this impeccably-coordinated, super-contemporary wonder of a hotel, A winding staircase in the glass-walled main floor leads to the Mezzanine, where a couple of drinks and cheese and tidbits welcome each guest from 5:30 to 6:3o every day. In the a.m., there is a fine breakfast in the same room. Diners have excellent choices of cereals, fresh range-run egg dishes, fruit, juices, porridge (oatmeal in US speak), and rolls and pastries. A rare quality is apparent in every choice, and a decent quantity -- but get there early for the hot dishes go fast. Oh, and you'll find no cost for that meal or the wine-welcome.

Rooms are urban-sized but perfectly matched to the lobby, mezzanine and restaurant (a superb meal of bison, salmon, or geggie specials can be had at rather considerable cost but who cares, it's that excellent!) in decor, color, and choice of furniture, carpets, elevators, even bathrooms. I hate predictable synthetic wood and plastic bits: so does Matrix. The city is just beyond the silent den of delights, but it looks like a movie. Highrises surround you but they are pleasantly joined to small older buildings for a vista from the mezzanine that is a visual feast. We were there at chaos-time, I mean Cristmas time, and staff was as cool as Santa's beard and as efficient as Rudolph at guiding us. We were delighted, too, at our 14th story room, silent as a creche, neat as a convent, and just plain "right".

Need to work? Our room combined the wooden dresser with a synthetic glossy desk surface in an arc repeated in the bathroom counter. Match that! Free Internet. My partner kvelled. I kvelled. Of the last dozen or two hotels we've stayed out, only Matrix delighted us so well and in so many, often unexpected, ways. Simply Numero Uno in Edmonton.

Reserve early, the biz and Leg people know how delightful staying at the Matrix can be, and they have expense accounts. Did I mention the thick white robes for the spa? The mezzanine's bar-function? The expensive duvet and subtly striped soft sheets on the best bed in town? I wish I had. Happy Holiday. We started ours with peace and joy, at the Matrix.

Room Tip: It's urban. So try high, especially during the week.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Olaf M, Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear bobsolomon,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are very proud of our hotel and it's amenities and are delighted that you found them to be as special as we think they are.

How wonderful that you included us in your holiday plans!

We look forward to your next stay with us! Thank you for choosing the Matrix Hotel!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel is near our Edmonton offices so I decided to check it out on TA. I was disappointed to see all the negative comments so backed off. Then a colleague of mine with whom I was travelling suggested we stay there. The forecast was -30 and I was not keen on driving to or any long walk to the office so I agreed. I was very pleased with the hotel. Nice to see something different. I love the decor- definitely a euro feel to the place… the free breakfast is incredible and having the Wildflower and Matrix Grill right inside the property really made it easy on both nights to have very good dinners. My room was perfect. Gorgeous bed, linens and bathroom amenities. Lots of room to work and plenty of drawers for my clothes. Large fridge to keep things cool and I even had a balcony (altho didn't venture out there). It will definitely make this my go to place in Edmonton. Would have received a five from me but I do agree with many of the negative comments that mention the noise factor… definitely an issue. Not a big problem for me because I sleep with ear plugs anyway.

Room Tip: To deal with 'noise' issues suggest you ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear cmbtraveller,

Thank you for your review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We are very proud of our product, services and amenities and are thrilled you enjoyed them as well.

Thank you for choosing us, we look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I have stayed here a few times during our trips to Edmonton. We love it. Great linens, bathroom ammenties. Calming experience. Excellent breakfast!! Love it! Highly recommend for business, couples, friends or solo.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear F P,

Thank you for your review! We appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us and commented so positively about it!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 December 2013

stayed overnight and had a terrible room which was beside the elevators…complained to front desk in the morning and no regret expressed from the front desk lol…I've stayed at this hotel 3 times in total now in the last year and this last time tore it lol. I won't be staying there again. incidentally I'm not impressed with the breakfast either as the eggs have had cheese on them every time I'm there and being unapologetic about not liking cheese I never get eggs or bacon there. I've always enjoyed the Sutton and have stayed there many many times over the years so I won't be letting the crazy lady of the house talk me into the Matrix again :)
one last thing worth mentioning is the city of Edmonton is deplorable about removing snow from the streets rendering the access from the side street a non option however the wonderful taxi drivers (2) both let us out in the snowbank instead of driving into the lobby parking due to inability to get back out on the street lol

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WarrenCWade
Olaf M, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Warren W,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you found your room next to the elevator disruptive. If you choose to stay with us again, we will be sure to put you in a room away from the elevators to ensure your comfort.

We are sorry that you felt the level of service from Front Desk did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in having staff that do everything possible to create an exceptional experience for our guests.

Our focus with the complimentary breakfast buffet is to offer house-made, nutritious and unique dishes, which our chef changes throughout the week for variety. We are truly sorry that you did not find anything to suit you during your stay with us.

We appreciate the feedback as it allows us to improve our products and services. Thank you for choosing the Matrix Hotel for your stay. Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss your stay further or let us know what we can do your faith in us.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had high expectations for the Matrix Hotel, based upon Tripadvisor comments. I suppose this might have been a bit of a trendy hotel when it was first converted from a shabby old downtown hotel or apartment building, but the old bones are still there and now everything is beginning to wear and fall apart. Walls and furnishings are scratched, scrapped and pot-marked. The bedside lamps hung like decapitated fixtures, barely still clinging to the headboard. I found the hallways dark and dingy and parking is a bit of a mess on a cold winter's night. Breakfast was no big whup, unless you like cheap pork sausage, slices of mealy looking bacon, pig, pig and more cheap pig - not even hash browns or potatoes of any sort. I just found the place to be pretentious and run down. Perhaps it has seen better days, but I was looking for an accommodation that cared about the details… this is not it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear GrittyMan,

We appreciate your feedback on your stay with us. I am sorry you did not find our property to be the high quality establishment that we strive it to be. Having been open for five years we found it necessary to execute a refreshment plan, which includes guest room painting, carpet replacement and woodwork touch ups. In 2013 we replaced all guest room televisions, upgraded our Wi-Fi service and started a bed replacement program.

We are surprised to hear that you did not find the complimentary breakfast suitable as it we often get great feedback from our guests. Our goal is to provide guests with a variety of nutritious and tasty items all made in-house by our chef who rotates the menu throughout the week.

We thank you for choosing the Matrix Hotel for your stay and apologize again for the shortfalls in product/service that you encountered. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this further or if there is anything we can do to restore your faith in us.

Warm Regards,