“Ok for business”
Review of Matrix Hotel

Matrix Hotel
Ranked #10 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Good hotel for business. Rooms are nice but sometimes the towels are dirty or forgotten. Rooms can be noisy when near the elevators. Nice tv and work space. Staff friendly and helpful. Love the free breakfast. The Starbucks next door is nice too.

• Stayed: March 2011
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

Dear Boomsca:

Thank you very much for your feedback, and your generally positive review.

I did want to speak to your comment about the towels. Unfortunately, the world has been experiencing an extreme shortage of cotton since last summer, and this has made it challenging for us to order replacement stock. I am very pleased to advise that we have recently received a huge shipment of fluffy new towels and silken bedding, and we no longer experience occassional shortages in towels.

My apologies for the inconvenience, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the bulk of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Matrix Hotel

Reviewed 28 February 2011

The door to the bathroom is not a door at all. It is a sliding piece of wood that leaves gaps on both sides when it is supposedly closed, does not lock and provides absolutely no privacy. There is no bathroom exhaust fan either. Even with the sliding door you have the opportunity to see, hear and smell the person in the washroom. There is picture of the door in the photos on this site.

The complimentary breakfast is very good but you are given a bill that includes a total but then subtracted down to zero - perhaps to guilt you into tipping? This billing technique only made it feel like the breakfast was a hardship - not complimentary.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Dear nlw2:

First, thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate hearing what our guests have to say.

Unfortunately, we have heard this complaint about the bathroom doors before. We are doing out best to find a solution, though making significant changes to 184 bathroom doors would be a significant undertaking, so we want to do it right!

With regards to your comments about breakfast, the purpose of providing a check with a zero balance is not intended to encourage a gratuity (though many guests do want the opportunity to provide a gratuity to our team, even with the Deluxe Contintental Breakfast being complimentary), but instead to ensure those guests in our Hospitality Suite are indeed hotel guests, and also for a degree of tracking purposes. Occasionally, we have encountered non-guests who have heard about our fabulous, free breakfast and they've tried to take advantage of that; who could blame them...it's delicious! I apologize for the confusion, and we encourage our team to explain this to our guests if they question the pupose.

Again, thanks for your comments, and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

great price - (corporate discount) lovely large room. very comfortable and very clean. Very nice gratis products. Check in and out were effortless and staff were friendly.

I enjoyed the wine and cheese

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I heard a lot about this hotel. The lobby is impressive with the cool fireplace. However, the room was tiny without any soundproofing. You can hear people in the hallway like they are in your room. Furthermore, the washroom door is a sliding door that does not properly close with at last a two-inch gap, so basically it is like going to the washroom with the door open. Worst lodgings I've been in since my youth hostel days.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Dear Tornadolarry:

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Although our building is a concrete structure, it is not admittedly (as most hotels are not) soundproofed. I am sorry that you did not like the unique style of our bathroomdoors, or that noise from other guests disturbed your stay. I do hope you may reconsider staying with us again. Feel free to contact me directly at pr@matrixedmonton.com should you wish to do so, or speak to me further, and I would be happy to do what I can to ensure a great experience.

Reviewed 22 February 2011

Where to begin.... Stayed here twice in February - first time for 5 days and second for 7 days. I travel all the time on business and this is the first time I have been compelled to write a NEGATIVE review - but really it was that bad I don't want anyone else to waste their money.

Everything about the Matrix seems great on first blush - but when you actually look beyond the surface (or even at it closely) you see that its all just smoke and mirrors.

Things that bothered me: my room was dirty - hairs all over the bathroom. No hand towels, face clothes or bath mat. When these things were mentioned to front desk, I was told they'd clean my room with a fine tooth comb. Hairs were still on ceiling when I departed seven days later.

The rooms were freezing cold, which in -23 degree weather was beyond uncomfortable at night. We all complained - were told they fix and no result.

The TV in my room didn't work - ever. Even when I complained. didn't work in any of our 4 rooms.

A package I ordered arrived and was never delivered until I asked them to double check. When they finally did it was sitting there. The desk clerk said there was NO way to know when it arrived (strange for a hotel) and offered no apology.

The staff were rude and apathetic. They took no action to our complaints (which we were very polite in delivering) and showed no empathy or concern towards us.

At the end of our first stay we were given upgrade certificates because of the negative experience - and of course when we returned weeks later we were unable to use them....

The Matrix is NOT worth the money and is not a boutique hotel. The staff are rude and the rooms are run down. They are trading on their website and trust me - this place is far from luxury...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank TorontoTVlady
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

I was very disappointed to read about your experience with us, as it appears you have some valid complaints. I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss the details of your stay and hear your thoughts. Please feel free to contact me directly at pr@matrixedmonton.com.

Reviewed 3 February 2011

From the very moment I entered this hotel I had nothing but issues. I can accept that things go wrong sometimes, but this was ridiculous. My car got stuck in the parking lot, and I was told by the front desk that it was not their parking lot and therefore not their problem. I had to go back to the desk three times because the keys wouldn't work, (no one to assist with my luggage) the TV is a nightmare, and had to call twice to get some help with it. I didn't receive my wake up call, no newspaper and the breakfast in the morning had meager offerings. I checked out early and went and stayed at the Westin. The only thing I could say was good about this hotel was the appearance.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
matrix_gm, General Manager at Matrix Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Dear Guest:

I am extremely disappointed to read the comments about your stay, and I would truly appreciate an opportunity to discuss it with you. This is certainly not the type of experience we endeavour for at Matrix Hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at pr@matrixedmonton.com and I would be happy to speak with you further.

Reviewed 29 January 2011

Well you may have read my previous ramblings about Edmonton, and know that I have rarely been impressed. I have had the opportunity to stay at the Matrix before, and rejected it, as it doesn't have a pool. But I had other colleagues staying there, so this was my first time.

First observation, whilst there is a public parking behind, the hotel parking is limited. It is a stylish hotel, boutique by Edmonton standards. I've actually used the restaurant before, good look and feel, and good food too, There is no bar in the restaurant, so this is the stand in, if you want to stay in the hotel.

My room was a good size, stylish king on the 8th floor. Good lighting, flat screened HDTV, basic coffee machine, fridge and bath and shower. The bathroom seemed clean, but there were no towels.

There is wired and wireless internet, datavalet, but in room 802 the wireless signal was too weak to connect to my MAC.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback on our hotel and your stay. We appreciate any and all feedback we receive! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the majority of your amenities.

Although Wildflower Grill does not have a bar, our MZ Lounge is available until the wee hours six days per week, and guests can enjoy cocktails and tapas here.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at pr@matrixedmonton.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back.