“Finally! A great place to stay on a business trip to Fort Mac. (esp in winter!)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Platinum Hotels

Platinum Hotels
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Located off the east end of Franklin Avenue, this hotel is a ways away from the popular restaurants such as Earls, BP's etc, but there are some smaller restaurants located nearby, so you won't starve.

However, because of the small kitchen, complete with 2 ring stove, microwave, fridge, pots, pans and dishes, we opted to go to nearby Save-On-Foods and Sobeys and make our own healthy alternative meals - cheater chicken, bagged rice, salad etc. And felt much better for it!

We did have a rental car, so the location wasn't really an issue to us, but because it was January, and the temperatures dipped to -29, we did love the abundant heated underground parking!

Security is better than most hotels, as all outer doors are locked, including the garage door, and the door from the garage into the hotel. Also, all visitors to the hotel must pass the front desk which is attended 24/7. To access the hotel when checking in, merely press the buzzer for access, then go up to the 2nd floor by stairs or elevator to get to the front desk.

Next to the front desk is a small lounge where a free breakfast buffet is served. It is pretty minimal, but completely adequate with hot western omelettes, toast, muffins, cereal, fruit, milk, juice, coffee, and tea. You can also get packed lunch and bar snacks and beer/coolers here. Watch the TV or read your free paper (Edmonton Journal/Ft Mac Today).

Staff are super friendly and helpful. The (tiny) boardroom seats 5 or 6 but was free for our use during the evening.

The room was great. Clean, new and modern with laminate floors, granite countertops, modern fittings, and a glass stove top. One small bedroom with en-suite, and one slightly larger bedroom with a small balcony and a second bathroom. A small kitchen, small living/dining room with a two seater leather sofa, and tiny table with two chairs. Plus a desk with a chair. Intended for two people (by the seating) it will house up to four.

For two business colleagues it was much preferable than sharing one bedroom/bathroom, which is what we have done in the past, and only about $50 a night more (which we saved by eating in).

The suite is long and thin with access to daylight only in the second bedroom, also the heating and air conditioning is only in the second bedroom, which means that the temperature in the first bedroom is hard to regulate, though they have provided a ceiling fan to assist with this.

Clean white fluffy bed linens and towels promise a clean experience.

The suite was super hot most of the time 75+ and only cooled down when we opened the balcony door (remember it was January!). And we did have to request bulbs for our bedside lamps, presumably because guests have been burning the wallpaper with them, and need to be verbally warned.

There was a flat screen TV cleverly placed on the front of the side-opening closet with drawers under in each bedroom, and another in the living area with Shaw Cable including some HD, and one DVD player.

All in all an extremely pleasant business trip, which we look forward to repeating on our next visit in the summer.

Room Tip: We specifically requested a room in the main building, so that we had access to the amenities. Ther...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank VicletSmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Used to go often, the suites are nicely done up. However, I had an incident that scared me there. I woke up to find someone had gotten into my room and was sleeping on the floor. After getting the guy out, I let the front attendant know, he found out it was someone from upstairs. They determined the lock was functioning fine, so how did he get access to my room? I had both my card keys with me. After calling several times to speak to the hotel manager, I never got a callback. My company travel coordinator called several times as well and never received callbacks. Such customer service is deplorable. Travellers beware and use the deadbolt as the staff obviously do not consider this an important incident to address. Although the units are comfortable, the wifi signal is poor and on many occasions the wifi internet was not working. Otherwise, it was a nice hotel prior to the incident.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LiH891
Kelowna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

I was impressed with the size of the rooms. They are beautifully decorated and many extras with many conveniences of home. Not your typical hotel room.
I was very surprised at the free long distance and wireless internet offered each day you stay. Great location and great value. I recommend this hotel for your next visit.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

This place is elegant, clean, frendly and has fresh starbucks coffee!

The free long distant package and internet service was a treat.

I loved style and paintings my room was separate to my working and living space. We had a 2 bedroom and it was very spacious. It was so nice to end my day there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

I was pleasently surprised when I stepped into this property. I was wowed by the decor and overall presentation. Very fashionable for Alberta's oil town! The lounge in the lobby was quite quaint and really fabulous for us lady travelers... and it was really nice to grab a starbucks on the way out in the morning. Thank you Platinum Hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Savytraveller2008
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

The rooms are beautiful, modern and very clean. Great service and fresh Starbucks every morning!! Close to all the restaurants and services.
Just like you are in a boutique hotel in Vancouver or Calgary. I will definitely stay here again and again. It is by far the nicest hotel in Fort McMurray.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lindsf
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

The rooms are full of space with a apartment feel. A desk a Free wifi helped me connect up to work. A tv in every room but the bathroom kept me entertained. I had a few other guests talking loudly outside my door at 1:30am but I closed the bedroom door and allwas great. The free continental breakfast includes Starbucks, muffins, toast, cereal & fruit juice - good for a quick bite to keep me going until lunch. The bran muffin was the best I have had in a very long time.

The evening dinner was tough as not good choices close by so we had to drive about ten blocks.

Under ground parking was great as it had snowed and I had nothing to clean.

This is a good hotel for a small family to stay in for a week or two as the kitchen is adequate for small meals and a grocery store is next door.

• Stayed March 2011