“There has to be better”

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
North Vancouver, Canada
“There has to be better”
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

The Nomad is centrally located in the middle of absolutely nothing. To be fair, Ft. McMurray is a horrible town, so any hotel here would get an unfair review. However...

...the rooms are very dated, relatively clean but found dirt on the carpet and crumbs on the desk. Seems like the housekeeper was in a rush. Comfortable beds but I wouldn't sit on the stained couch.

Tried to get breakfast, but good luck finding any without a walk.

As I said, not impressed with the town, and there has to be better hotels here.

Stayed April 2012
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. I was concerned to read that our hotel did not live up to your expectations.

Our downtown location is one of the many reasons our guests choose our hotel over several others in the area. Due to our downtown location, and in addition to the coffee shop in our lobby which provides a complimentary continental breakfast for our guests, we also have close to a dozen popular restaurants located within a few hundred meters of the hotel.

Your hotel room was one of the few remaining rooms that have not yet been renovated. We will be doing renovations to these rooms over the next few months and this will complete the renovation project for the entire hotel which we started in August of last year.

I was also concerned to read that your room was not up to the standard of cleanliness that we pride ourselves in. I will personally address this issue with our housekeeping team. If you are coming back to Fort McMurray in the near future please contact me directly and I will see that your next stay is more enjoyable and comfortable in one of our renovated rooms.

Mike Harlick GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Visiting Fort McMurray is a bit like visiting a gold rush town in the Wild West, and this hotel further reinforces this impression.

Cheaply built rooms, feel like they have been refurbed in the last 5 or 10 years, but serioulsy on the cheap. The shower bath combo is has one of those plastic shell preform inserts, modern and functional, but again, cheap.

Poorly maintained, block air conditioner stuck on the external wall of the room, big fat CRT TV in a huge TV cabinet. You get the picture. Parking is limited and problematic.

The hotel doesn't have any food and beverage themselves, but there is easy access to a Keg and a coffee shop in the building. By the way, for the $199 per night rate, I got a Free breakfast voucher to the coffee shop. I had to smile, a fruit juice in a box, a bakery item (toast or muffin or bagel), and a coffee, all served school cafeteria style.

Go somewhere else if you can, the local recommended the Merit Inn.

• Stayed November 2011
nomadinngm, General Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you very much for your comments. We apologize that your recent stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

We have just completed the first part of our planned renovations a few months ago. These have included new beds, new linens, and new furniture in 70 percent of our rooms. We will be extending and completing these renovations to our remaining 3 floors in the next 6 months, and will also be completing the upgrades to our TV’s and other in-room electronics durring this time.

Thank you again for your comments, and if you plan on coming back to Fort McMurray, let us know and we will do our best to provide you with the product and service that you are expecting.

Travellers are raving about these Fort McMurray hotels

Edmonton
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I was originally in a jacuzzi suite but the roon smelt odd and was extremely dated. I asked for an upgrade in the room and was setup on the top floor in a renovated room which is ten times better. The room is spacious, clean and does not smell of stale smoke. It has a couple flat screen TV's and microwave and mini fridge. The hotel itself does not have a fitness centre or pool but does have a irish pub with normal pub food as well as The Keg. Underground parking is $5 a day or parking is available on the street or surrounding parking lots. Overall I would stay here again if I was able to get the upgraded room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank garlicspamsam
Airdrie, AB
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I stayed at the Nomad for 2 nights and really don't have anything bad to say about the hotel or it's staff. I was late arriving on the first night (around midnight) and while I had to wait for the 'couple' ahead of me to check in, I had no problems. The front desk staff apolgized for my wait, checked me in quickly and answered all my questions. They were very helpfull and very nice. I had a room on the top floor, it was clean and quiet. The only thing I could possibly complain about was the fact that the shower temperature never got hot. I could only get 'very warm' at the best.

One thing I will recommend visitors stay away from is the cafe in the hotel. The help behind the counter was not friendly, the coffee was 'nasty' at best, and I never once got exactly what I ordered. Don't expect much from the cafe, other than a cup of bad coffee and a store bought bagel, or week old pastries. There are much better places to go for a good, hot breakfast.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JeepL0ver
BC
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The hotel is tired, it needs a makeover. Rooms are in poor repair.
Front desk staff was arrogant.
No gym, breakfast is poor, if you can get any service, only one person on the counter at the cafe at the busiest time of the morning.
The only good thing is the Keg next door.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank chatchBc
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We were a small group (6) checking in at the Nomad Inn in a big room with a kitchen.
The apartment itself was nice and big and it looked quite new, but we quickly realised that we only had towels for four people. We called the hotel to bring us more towels and got told that "I guess we can find a way to do that" apparently they have no evening housekeeper or houseman so the security guard shows up with some towels... Wierd...
I also look for plates and cutlery in the cupboards and find that the whole dishwasher is filled with "clean" dishes. The thing is that the housekeeper had put something from the oven in the dishwasher that was so extremely dirty that all the other dishes in the machines was stained and dirty by the dirt of the still very dirty oven thing. I call the hotel again for a sponge (cause we don't have that either) so that I can clean at least a couple of the dishes for the next days breakfast, but they can't help me with that and starts telling me that the dishwasher is propably broken...
The next day we get a call from maintenance about the dishwasher and he asks me to check if there is any hot water coming out of the kitchen tap. Of course there is hot water and I try to explain him that there is nothing wrong with the dishwasher but you just can't put such a dirty thing in the machine and expect it to scrub off the burned pieces of meat and put them in the garbage bin because they are too big to fit in the drain.
I take the dirty oven thing and go to the front desk to ask for a sponge and show them that nothing is wrong with the dishwasher, you just have to rinse off the worst of the burned food before you put it in the dishwasher. That should be pretty obvious to everybody but apparantly not to staff at the Nomad in, because the arrogant front desk manager ends the conversation with "I guess that's your own opinion" and then she turns around and starts doing some paperwork, and couldn't care less about the fact that we still have a filled dishwasher with dirty dishes that I can't do anything about because we don't have a sponge. Finally the general manager craps me a sponge and now I can go to my room and do the dirty job of cleaning old, burned food of all the dishes that I actually have paid a housekeeper too do through my room rate.
Talking about room rates... Before we arrived at the hotel we tried to book the room on the internet, but the website wouldn't allow me to book the room on the internet for 6 people because of a special room rate that we were promised, so we had to call the hotel and inform them that we were 6 people staying there, and then book the room on the internet for only one person. After all the trouble with the dirty dishes we found out that apparantly they "didn't know" that we were 6 people staying there so now we will be charged a lot more than we had been promised in the first place. We had a bigger argument with the (still) arrogant front desk manager about the issues and we kept on trying to talk to the GM about it. But she kept on saying that he was in a meeting every time we tried to ask. Still wondering how important and long that meeting was so that he didn't have time whatsoever to solve out a pretty big deal... We didn't get the room rate we were promised, and none of the managers tried to put an effort into making us happy with the stay, so we checked out after only one night there and checked in at the Merit Suites where the GM welcomed us when we arrived to make the stay in Fort McMurray memorable in the good way.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank SilasAlberta
Edmonton
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This hotel is close to everything. We arrived pretty late and was comforted to see security. The staff were friendly and promply got us into our room. The halls are bright and clean. Pop machine and ice machine are on every second floor. Our room #202 was amazing. I have never stayed in a hotel room that was so clean. There was loads of room for the two of us and the beds were amazing. nice desk and chair, internet, coffee machine and mini fridge all came with our room. In the morning you are treated to a continental breakfast. Im afraid all I had time for was to grab a coffee and muffin to go but they were good just the same. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone for a nice stay in Fort McMurray and if I am ever back this way I will book in the Nomad for sure!!

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business