“Don't know what everyone's complaining about??”

Nomad Hotel and Suites
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Airdrie, AB
“Don't know what everyone's complaining about??”
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I stayed at the Nomad for 2 nights and really don't have anything bad to say about the hotel or it's staff. I was late arriving on the first night (around midnight) and while I had to wait for the 'couple' ahead of me to check in, I had no problems. The front desk staff apolgized for my wait, checked me in quickly and answered all my questions. They were very helpfull and very nice. I had a room on the top floor, it was clean and quiet. The only thing I could possibly complain about was the fact that the shower temperature never got hot. I could only get 'very warm' at the best.

One thing I will recommend visitors stay away from is the cafe in the hotel. The help behind the counter was not friendly, the coffee was 'nasty' at best, and I never once got exactly what I ordered. Don't expect much from the cafe, other than a cup of bad coffee and a store bought bagel, or week old pastries. There are much better places to go for a good, hot breakfast.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JeepL0ver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
BC
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The hotel is tired, it needs a makeover. Rooms are in poor repair.
Front desk staff was arrogant.
No gym, breakfast is poor, if you can get any service, only one person on the counter at the cafe at the busiest time of the morning.
The only good thing is the Keg next door.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank chatchBc

Travellers are raving about these Fort McMurray hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We were a small group (6) checking in at the Nomad Inn in a big room with a kitchen.
The apartment itself was nice and big and it looked quite new, but we quickly realised that we only had towels for four people. We called the hotel to bring us more towels and got told that "I guess we can find a way to do that" apparently they have no evening housekeeper or houseman so the security guard shows up with some towels... Wierd...
I also look for plates and cutlery in the cupboards and find that the whole dishwasher is filled with "clean" dishes. The thing is that the housekeeper had put something from the oven in the dishwasher that was so extremely dirty that all the other dishes in the machines was stained and dirty by the dirt of the still very dirty oven thing. I call the hotel again for a sponge (cause we don't have that either) so that I can clean at least a couple of the dishes for the next days breakfast, but they can't help me with that and starts telling me that the dishwasher is propably broken...
The next day we get a call from maintenance about the dishwasher and he asks me to check if there is any hot water coming out of the kitchen tap. Of course there is hot water and I try to explain him that there is nothing wrong with the dishwasher but you just can't put such a dirty thing in the machine and expect it to scrub off the burned pieces of meat and put them in the garbage bin because they are too big to fit in the drain.
I take the dirty oven thing and go to the front desk to ask for a sponge and show them that nothing is wrong with the dishwasher, you just have to rinse off the worst of the burned food before you put it in the dishwasher. That should be pretty obvious to everybody but apparantly not to staff at the Nomad in, because the arrogant front desk manager ends the conversation with "I guess that's your own opinion" and then she turns around and starts doing some paperwork, and couldn't care less about the fact that we still have a filled dishwasher with dirty dishes that I can't do anything about because we don't have a sponge. Finally the general manager craps me a sponge and now I can go to my room and do the dirty job of cleaning old, burned food of all the dishes that I actually have paid a housekeeper too do through my room rate.
Talking about room rates... Before we arrived at the hotel we tried to book the room on the internet, but the website wouldn't allow me to book the room on the internet for 6 people because of a special room rate that we were promised, so we had to call the hotel and inform them that we were 6 people staying there, and then book the room on the internet for only one person. After all the trouble with the dirty dishes we found out that apparantly they "didn't know" that we were 6 people staying there so now we will be charged a lot more than we had been promised in the first place. We had a bigger argument with the (still) arrogant front desk manager about the issues and we kept on trying to talk to the GM about it. But she kept on saying that he was in a meeting every time we tried to ask. Still wondering how important and long that meeting was so that he didn't have time whatsoever to solve out a pretty big deal... We didn't get the room rate we were promised, and none of the managers tried to put an effort into making us happy with the stay, so we checked out after only one night there and checked in at the Merit Suites where the GM welcomed us when we arrived to make the stay in Fort McMurray memorable in the good way.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank SilasAlberta
Edmonton
Reviewed 27 January 2009

This hotel is close to everything. We arrived pretty late and was comforted to see security. The staff were friendly and promply got us into our room. The halls are bright and clean. Pop machine and ice machine are on every second floor. Our room #202 was amazing. I have never stayed in a hotel room that was so clean. There was loads of room for the two of us and the beds were amazing. nice desk and chair, internet, coffee machine and mini fridge all came with our room. In the morning you are treated to a continental breakfast. Im afraid all I had time for was to grab a coffee and muffin to go but they were good just the same. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone for a nice stay in Fort McMurray and if I am ever back this way I will book in the Nomad for sure!!

Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank GayleEdmonton
Halifax
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I am a business traveller that has stayed in many hotels over the past year all over North America, but my experience here was by far the worst.
This hotel has no amenities, no service, internet problems, unfriendly unknowledgable staff, rooms rates that are over priced, the decor is very outdated, rooms are not clean, my non smoking room smelt like smoke.
The next time I have to come to town if this is the only hotel that has availability , I will either post pone my plans or sleep in my rental vehicle.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank worldlyHalifax
toronto
Reviewed 29 October 2008

This was the worst room for the highest rate possible
The room decor was beyond dated all furniture was damaged and unsteady.
Breakfast was horrible.
Front desk employees were friendy but poorly dressed
i will never stay here again.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank torontotom33
nomadinngm, Manager at Nomad Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, 4 November 2008

The décor of our rooms do require updating, and we are looking to have several of our floors renovated within the next 2 quarters, to a more executive and modern quality. We are also in the middle of a front desk uniform style change; unfortunately there have been some delays in getting the proper sizes for all of staff members.

If you can contact the hotel with the details of your issues with the breakfast and anything else that may have been a concern, we will gladly look into them and hopefully better meet yours and all of our guest expectations on your next visit. 780-791-4770
Creston, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2008

good downtown location, rooms clean and spacious. free parking. upper room was quiet but I wouldn't want a lower level room

breakfast coupon is a joke.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — high cost
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Agforguy