“I strongly urge people to stay elsewhere.”

Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
“I strongly urge people to stay elsewhere.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

This used to be my hotel of choice in Fort McMurray, in fact I spent ~$2000 there in February, however after this past ordeal they will no longer recieve my patronage. I was charged for a lampshade that was damaged when I checked into my hotel room. I recieved a call from my hotel after my second night of stay that they noticed the damaged lampshade and I would be charged $50 for it. I told the staff member that the lampshade was damaged before I checked in, but they refused to believe me. They told me that they inspect the rooms daily and could not have missed it; however they missed it for at least two days (who knows how long it was broken before then or if this is some scam). That also makes me wonder about the quality of cleaning service that the staff does. The staff also went as far as saying that it was my responsibility to report the damaged lampshade when I checked in. As a patron it should not be my responsibility to report everything that is damaged in the hotel room. The staff treated me very poorly; every time I tried discussing the issue with the hotel staff, they blew me off and told me a manager would call me later, but I never recieved any phone calls, until after I checked out that they will be charging me for the damages that were there when I checked in. I feel that the way I was treated by this hotel was unjust, unfair, and an insult to my character. They will no longer recieve any of my business in the future, and I strongly urge everyone else to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LJH602

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

This hotel has a multitude of problems that need to be addressed. The hotel itself does not have a normal front entry, with a stone curb in front of a set of narrow steps down. Very slippery when I was there, and the snow removal was non-existent. The front lobby is poorly laid out, and the staff are not very fluent in English. The rooms and hallways are not clean. The room looked worn, as did the elevator. The elevator area was cluttered with random material. The wireless internet was not functional at all. The duty manager was unconcerned and quite frankly, disinterested in any comments from guests. I had an emergency that initially required a two day stay, but fortunately I was able to wrap up my work in one. I was unable to get a room at my regular hotel on short notice, but I will avoid this property at all costs. This is not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, but it is close!!

Travellers are raving about these Fort McMurray hotels

Lac La Biche
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here because I had to work a casino, and that is the only reason whyi stayed here. The hotel is sketchy to say the least, many things I could complain about, but why bother. This hotel is need of some major renovations, but when there is a shortage of rooms already in the Ft, there is no need to spend dollars to improve the place when you are hosing the travelling public.
Another thting I will be reporting is the violation of the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act, hotels cannot photocopy your drivers license and keep your picture. I was able to get my copy when I checked out as I told the girl that there is no legal reason for keeping a copy and that it coolates FOIP legislation. The location of the hotel is in a sketchy part, come home for. Working a casino late at night and just watch the freak show, people throwing up in the parking lots, drunks hanging around the. Bar, one people screaming. I think I have said enough.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bcnllb
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Hello,
After reading your review, I take a lot of your points very seriously, but also dont understand all of them. The location of our hotel and the other properties in the area, are something that we have absoltuely no control over. We have a security company that patrols inside the hotel and outside the hotel, but they cannot cross the propety line. Therefore waht is happening outside the casino and in the parking lot is not something that our secuirty company can deal with. I wish concerns like this were pointed in the proper direction, towards the mall security and the RCMP, as our secutity team legally cannot do anything outside of our property lines.
As for improving the hotel, anyone who has been to the hotel over the past year can see that we have re-invested over $2,000,000 back into the hotel (lobby, pub, 38 room deluxe wing). We are one of the few hotels in the area who is doing this sort of re-investment and we are not stopping there. We are in the final planning stages for our upgrade to the 97 room tower side of our hotel, which will complete a full renovation of the entire hotel.
As for a copy of your license, every guest that stays with us, is offered to be given the copy back at cheque or we shred it immediately at that time. This would have been offered to you the same it is offered to all other guests.
If you would like to discuss your stay in detail please contact the hotel directly so we can figure out why you feel as though we are "hosing the public" when in fact we are doing major reinvestments while still keeping our rates below the average downtown hotel costs, therefore providing great value for all our guests.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

I was there for only the one night but would not go there ever again if I can help it. The towels and bedsheets were far from clean, and tub had gross looking brown marks all along it. The walls were incredibly thin and there was a crying baby next door. I had the Deluxe Double Kitchenette, so there were stove top burners but no microwave there which was kind of annoying.
Service was okay, but pretty much the only good thing about this hotel is its proximity to Tim Hortons and Superstore. Not worth it. Never again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Hello,
I have looked into your comments very closely and taken a look into everyone one of our Deluxe Double Kitchenettes, to make sure no microwaves were stolen in the past few days. Every one of our kitchenttes has a microwave in it, directly above the electric stove top - as you can see from the photos on our page. Each Kitchenette has the same layout with minifridge, stove and microwave. You must have just missed it when looking around, it is stainless steel directly above the stovetop. Also, in everyone of our Deluxe Double Kitchenettes there are no brownspots on the bathtubs. This is again sometihng we take very seriously and are actually in the processes of refinishing all of our tubs / showers.
As for the sheets and towels, they are washed every day and inspected by our Housekeeping Manager to ensure cleanliness.
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I'm staying at this hotel on a business trip for a week and not pleased with my stay so far. Unfortunately my admin team did not look into the other reviews of this hotel before booking it for me because almost none have been positive.

Besides the cheap appearance and recycled feel of the room and furnishings, the "high-speed wireless" is a far cry from high speed. It took nearly two minutes and several attempts just to load this page. I requested an ethernet cable and was told this was not possible, so I am stuck with a connection that is comparable to dial up for the duration of my trip. This will make online meetings impossible, and all other online communication a hassle.

There is a brand new flatscreen television in the room, but all of the digital cables barely work - cutting out and freezing constantly. Again, there is no solution for this problem either I'm told.

The promise of a "fitness room and so much more" on the main page of their website is clearly just space filler as their fitness room is closed and there appears to be very little else being offered.

In the end, you get what you paid for and that's not much in this case. One positive is the central location, but there are lots more options around that offer the same.

Room Tip: Apparently the deluxe rooms are being renovated so they might be a little better
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Due to reasons beyond our control Shaw performed a Digital Network upgrade On Feb 21 2013, since this time Shaw has been on site daily to resolve issues with TV cutting out and freezing periodically on a few channels and for short periods of time some channels not appearing. We have been working day and night since this time to get this issue resolved and new cables from Shaw central box to the hotel have been installed over this weekend to resolve this issue. As a part of this upgrade we are now offering more TV channels then ever before and music channels.

As we had Technicians from Shaw onsite on Feb 23, 2013 repairing the TV Connection the WIFI connection was taken down at a few points for maintenance of our TV channels and may have lead to brief connectivity issues. WIFI Download Speed Tests Conducted on Feb 4 and 5, 2013 taken on all floors of the hotel showed an average download speed of 6.0 MBPS. As we are an older hotel we unfortunately do not offered wired internet connections in rooms nor do we advertise wired internet. We do how ever have 3 Guest computers that are available if needed at any time to access the internet.

The fitness room is currently closed as we renovate it and replace all the machines and weights.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

This is one of the cheapest hotels in Fort McMurray and there's a reason for that. I was able to get 2 nights for about $160/night which was about $30-40 cheaper than other hotels.

The location is downtown and right by the one mall in Fort McMurray. It's also close to the casino, Superstore, and Tim Hortons. There is a Smitty's restaurant and a pub attached to the hotel which is also convenient.

I arrived at 9PM to check in and it went quickly and smoothly. When I booked the room, I asked not to be by the elevator or stairs, but they ended up giving me the top floor at the end opposite of the elevator, right in front of the stairs. During my last stays here, I found it too noisy at both of these locations. But I was happy this time I didn't hear any drunks late at night, and there were a few banging doors but nothing too disruptive.

This is a no frills hotel. Inside my room, there was a 70s recliner that I didn't touch let alone sit in, a 80s desk chair, and desks, side tables, and a dresser that looked like they belonged in a second hand store. The towels were brown and not plush, but likely washed and used hundreds or even thousands of time! The heating is probably as old as everything else but you can have some control over the temperature so it's not too hot or cold with a fan blowing air. The carpet was worn and at one part on the floor, it was uneven.

But the double bed was comfortable, there was a huge tv (even though some of the channels weren't available due to no signal), the wifi was ok, and the bathroom had decent counter space. I wasn't in my room very much besides to sleep and an hour before and after so I didn't mind the lack of luxury.

The hotel staff were all polite and courteous. If you are looking to save a few dollars and don't mind a room with the basics, then this would meet your needs. But I would suggest requesting a room near the end of the hallway as some of the tvs and conversations can get loud and you might hear more than you want. Oh, and you may want to bring your own towels!

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and not in the middle of the hallway with rooms around.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review as any legitimate feedback we can get, we certainly reivew and take to heart. From your review it seems as though you stayed on the TowerSide of the hotel, which we have not yet renovated. We renovated the "Wing" side of the hotel upgrading and updating the carpet and casegoods.
We are in the process of planning our next phase of renovations starting with new carpet in the Towerside of the hotel, to solve the exact issues you mention.
As for the TVs and cable, due to reasons beyond our control Shaw performed a Digital Network upgrade On Feb 21 2013, since this time Shaw has been on site daily to resolve issues with TV cutting out and freezing periodically on a few channels and for short periods of time some channels not appearing. As a part of this upgrade we are now offering more TV channels then ever before and music channels.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

The only good thing about the hotel is the TV in the room. My heater in the room did not work since the first night, they put a space heater in my room and didn't fix the room heater.The lady at the front counter was rude and acted like I owed her something.

• Stayed February 2013