“Not bad. If this was 1990”

Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Not bad. If this was 1990”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Seriously. How can it be 2014 and have internet so slow?!? This is worse than when I had to disconnect my phone and plug in to a 3 lb modem. Trying to work is impossible let alone try to catch up on Breaking Bad on Netflix. Let me know when your wifi gets up to 2002 standards and I might be back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Donkingjedi
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with the WiFi at The Stonebridge Hotel. It is our policy to help guest out when ever possible with any issue when advised. I have had our staff check and verify that speed tests throughout the hotel are consistent. As we are serving Free WiFi to an average of 200 devices daily we do have to cap out speeds at a maximum of 2 mbps and a minimum of 1 mbps during very busy times. As this is the case it may be slower than the 10-50 mbps that you may receive on a single user home connection. I have verified that Netflix is working throughout the property at this time. Currently we have the largest available internet connection that is dedicated completely to WiFi for hotel guests. Last Monday night we did have some issues with Shaw internet signal that have been resolved. This issue may have lead to slow or intermittent connections for a short period of time that evening. During this time we did have to restart our WiFi system.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Although billed as a relatively new hotel, the Stonebridge has the feeling of something that has been around boom town Alberta for awhile. Every entrance seems sort of gloomy and ready for a bar fight to break out. The looming security guards don't detract from the impression. I don't know where they got the pictures of their lobby, but they are either of another Stonebridge, or they have been doctored.

The check in -- the clerk remained pleasant in the face of the fact that we weren't happy. His English was not good but so he stuck to the pre-rehearsed script. My boyfriend checked in using his credit card, fully expecting to allow them to view his driver's lic. for verification purposes. They photocopied it and then insisted that I, was staying in the room but not offering a credit card, also provide i.d. for them to photocopy. This seemed to be an unnecessary collection of data and we resented it a bit.

The room was tidy, though most of the furniture looks liked it escaped a bar fight in the 1970's scarred and beat up, it was functional. The TV was very nice and well placed with a decent selection of free channels. I have never been in a hotel that offered offered off sales of liquor to the room, although the instructions were convoluted. It also explained the presence of the security officer on the floor when we returned from dinner.

The sheets and linens were clean, the beds have seen better days but not terrible. Pillows are small, chicklet size and quite hard. It was quiet even though we were above a parking lot in busy downtown Fort McMurray, but as soon as we opened the window to cool down, we found out it was insulation and not quiet. The fan for the a/c kept cutting in and waking me up.

In Fort McMurray where everything costs, they did allow me an hour of late check-out with no charge and I appreciated that. Staff was pleasant but they have a number of rigid rules from which they won't deviate. Parking is a nightmare; small spaces full of large crew trucks with barely enough room to pull out in the morning. It is near a very busy Tim Horton's--at least breakfast is not far away.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 239. It was quiet. We could see our car in the car park. Two double beds. In For...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cat919
Thank You Cat 919 for your detailed feedback of the hotel and your experience with us. I just wanted to respond to a few of your points.
1. No where is the hotel promoted as a new hotel…We are, (and are very proud of the fact) that the Stonebridge Hotel is the oldest standing hotel in Fort McMurray, built in the 60's at the original hotel to house the workers working on site. We have done a number of recent NEW renovations (lobby, Bailey's, Deluxe Wing, TV's, Carpet, Washrooms) but have never promoted us a new hotel.
2. The photo of the lobby in all places where we have posted it, most certainly is a photo of our lobby. We would never stoop so low to use stock photos or fake photos of any part of the hotel.
3. Taking your ID, as a registered guest is a safety and security protocol that we do in order to keep you, our guests safe. In the unfortunate instance of a fire, we need to know exactly who all of our registered guests are, and therefore need your information. Secondly, we need to know exactly who all our registered guests are in order to keep all other guests safe. The exact same way as I am sure you do not want random unregistered people in the room next to you, while you stayed with us. We take safety and security as serious, if not more, than any other hotel in Fort McMurray.
4. We are currently upgrading our pillows as we are ordering new ones…it is a slow upgrade but one that has already begun.

I hope my comments above help to explain some of the situations you brought up in your review, and we certainly hope to have you staying with us again…on your next stay, I recommend staying in our Deluxe Wing to see the complete room renovations.
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here for work and don’t think I’ll be coming back. The rooms are sparse and the carpet looks like it hasn’t been cleaned in awhile. I have subsequently stayed at other hotels – there are better options in the Fort Mac area.
Happy travels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello Suman 514…Thank you for your review and your feedback. I am happy to note that we have recently completed a carpet upgrade throughout the hotel. Last year we had completed a renovation on our Deluxe Wing, and then earlier this year completed the last steps in the carpet upgrade to the Tower side of the hotel.
Industry standard is to use 36lb carpet in rooms and 38lb carpet in guest rooms, but we went over and above and used 40lb carpet in both the hallways and guest rooms to ensure comfort.

Travellers are raving about these Fort McMurray hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Of course it is not a luxury hotel, but it's very clean, simple and comfortable! It's right in downtown and very convenient! I stayed at many hotels and this one is just right for business travel. Staff are very friendly and I didn't have any problem with them! Enjoy ur stay!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel was booked by our company, so we had no choice. When we arrived, the corridor and room both smelled of stale smoke (non smoking hotel). Washroom floor old and looked dirty. I went to the grocery store and bought some febreeze to get rid of smoke smell. There was no breakfast offered. I tried to book a different hotel but was unable to find available accommodation. Don't stay here if you don't have to.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank canadafarmgirl2
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review and the information about our property in Fort McMurray. It is unfortunate that even though we are a non-smoking hotel and take deposits to ensure people will not smoke, some people will still smoke in their rooms. When we find issues like this we always use our Ozone machines to attempt to clean the air and not just mask it by spraying anything.
We do not run our own restaurant and so we are unable to provide breakfast, but this is not something we ever advertise - we are always upfront about the extra amentities we provide to our guests, and a free breakfast is not something we provide or advertise that we provide. There is a Smitty's restaurant in the hotel and they routinely work with our partner clients to set up breakfasts and lunches for guests staying with us.
Thank you again for your review and I hope that you give us another chance.
Wainwright
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Good place to stay but fort Mac is very pricey. Don't believe the $119 price on the side , expect $179. Clean and friendly staff. Good location to restaurants and Tim Horton's. Bit noisy by highway. Book ahead or no rooms.

Room Tip: All seemed okay
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ken M
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
I am glad you liked our hotel and I just wanted to respond to you on the $119 issue. The sign on the hotel states that we have single occupancy rooms available for $119 which we do. Becuase they are so cheap they get booked up quicker than all other rooms. Next time you are headed up to Fort McMurray, if you book in advance please ask for a Standard Single room, which would be for $119.
Thank you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Great location, being located in the center of downtown having everything within walking distance comes in very handy. The rooms although not large are very roomy but needs some serious updating, I was informed when I had checked in that they did have updates rooms but personally I don't care about the looks only that it is clean. Both the sheets and towels looked older than the building it's self as they were yellowed and over washed, but seemed clean and smelled fresh. Rooms were very dim but I guess this is to cover some imperfections in the room such as faded carpets, yellowed linens, and lamp shades.
Front desk staff seemed to pretend to be busy as they were just stood around doing nothing for about five minutes before they served me.
Where most of my problems with this hotel starts is within their so called "million dollar bar". For starters the bar does look great and gives a warm and welcoming feeling, but the staff just makes the place look cheep. I recently returned to the hotel with my wife and when she suggested we visit baileys pub I straight out said NO. I did not want her to witness the filth I did on my first stay. The staff wore too little clothing and were both rude and uncivilized.
I was served by a pretty nice guy at first who smiled and spoke to me at the bar, when I returned for a second drink I was rudely spoken to and served by a blonde woman whom seem like she was too good to be here.
I was sitting alone for a long period of time and was ignored by all serving staff and had to over hear some unsettling conversations from both the staff and the patrons. The glasses were dirty with rings around the rims and dirt floating in my drink(s).
My recent return with my wife was better, we did stay on the updated side of the hotel and although very dark and dungeon like was much nicer. I did notice a few new faces in the bar but until all the faces are new I don't think I will return.
Would I recommend this hotel to others? Yes but would suggest they stay on the newly redone side and avoid baileys pub at all cost.

• Stayed May 2013
stonebridgeFM, Director of Sales at Stonebridge Hotel Fort McMurray, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you very much for the review, and we certainly take all feedback very seriously. I wanted to respond on a few different parts of the review.
1. Since your last stay, we have updated our linens and new much better and larger towels
2. We have already ordered new carpet and are in the process in finalizing an order for new casegoods for the tower (older) side to update it and get it up to par with the newer, Deluxe side
3. We have recently done an overhaul in Bailey's wtih staff and will contiue to monitor and replace staff if required to ensure that customer service is the best in FM and above expectations

I hope that the next time you are in the area, you stay wtih us and check out, and enjoy, Bailey's Pub and the Stonebridge.
Thank you again for your feedback!
Matt