“Surprisingly Good considering it's in the Food Court”
Review of Famous Wok

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Famous Wok
Ranked #50 of 136 Restaurants in Fort McMurray
Cuisines: Chinese
Alberta
“Surprisingly Good considering it's in the Food Court”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I am a regular and I find the servers to be friendly. English is not their first language and I don't go for the conversation.

My ranking may be a little high, but I have been to more expensive places and the food here is better. It is "buffet" food, so you should not expect made to order freshness.

Prices have increased recently, but still good value for the money.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank WiseTravellerAlberta

Ft McMjurray
“Is good food.”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Is really good food, always looks fresh. Get large portions. Too bad it is in the food court. Would be nice to be able to go to a restaurant sit down location. Mind you, it may be more expensive if they had the extra overhead of a restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
“Best Chinese Food in Fort McMurray!”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I've never had a bad experience with the Famous Wok in Fort McMurray. Even though this restaurant is located in the Peter Pond Shopping Center, in my opinion it's the best chinese food in town!

Famous Wok is a "serve-n-go" sort of restaurant. The food is already prepared and on display in serving trays behind a large plastic shield. They never keep one particular dish out for too long to ensure freshness. Once an item has gone past the "keep time", it's tossed. Each dish is clearly labelled on the top of the shield so that you know what the dishes are and there are always a large selection of items to choose from. The servers always give generous portions of the food you choose. Prices go by how many items you choose, however they do have a value menu (a certain number of items at a discount price). Typically, I pay around $12 for a dish with 4 items from the menu and this price includes a can of soda.

There is only one complaint I have about this restaurant and that's the service. The employees are a no nonsense type of people. With every visit, it's the same thing (for me at least). My server will say "Yes?" or "What you want?" (heavy Chinese accents). After each item I request, the server will say "and?". Finally when I'm done ordering they'll say "Drink?". I'm given the total of my meal and there's hardly ever a 'thank you'. What's more annoying is the Soy Sauce issue! They have a large bottle of soy sauce and a bottle of hot sauce near the cash register and I'm sure it's to help the business save money. However I do like to take a packet of soy sauce to my table with me and I normally have to fight to get it. On my last visit, I asked for one packet of soy sauce and my server just gestured to the bottle of sauce near the register. Again, I requested for an individual packet and after the server rolled her eyes, I got the soy sauce.

Overall, this is a great place. The food is amazing and though the service isn't the best, it's "serve-n-go", so you only have to deal with the servers for a few moments.

• Visited July 2011