“Fort McMurray trip”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We chose the Merit Hotel based on previous reviews. We found the front desk staff exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, modern and best of all, there was no noise from other rooms. While Fort McMurray hotels have a 'captive audience', that hasn't stopped the staff at the Merit-from the very visible manager (Mark) and guest service supervisor (Ayoba) from treating their guests with courtesy and concern. Really felt at home and well taken care of while we were there. There were a few problems with the internet but a solution was found for our needs. The lobby floors were constantly being cleaned , which is necessary in Fort McMurray with all the dirt and dust and just one of the many examples of the pride the staff takes in how their hotel looks and runs.The convenience of a fridge /microwave and small kitchen in the extended stay suites is great.We would definitely make the Merit our home away from home for all future travel to Fort McMurray.
Two very satisfied customers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank joellenbbr
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you very much for your review!

We are very proud of the changes we have been making, and are glad that they are able to make this kind of impact on our Guest's experiences here.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Recently was in Fort McMurray, AB on business (September 26 - 28) and stayed at the Merit Hotel.

I normally stay at the Saw Ridge Hotel (because I was told by one colleague it was the best hotel in Fort McMurray by far) until another colleague told me to try the Merit Hotel.

I found the Merit Hotel to be an exceptional hotel. It was clean and had a modern look and feel. The staff were extremely courteous and friendly and the pub and restaurant serve great food. The added bonus is the Merit is located in the lower town site, not up the highway.

I look forward to staying at the Merit Hotel whenever possible while visiting Fort McMurray.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank The_FM_Traveller
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

Thank you very much for your review! We love to hear stories of our success, and you can be assured that your feedback has been shared with our staff.

We all look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Great hotel - the blonde receptionist was friendly and very helpful, will definitely stay again! Restaurant was slow, but the food was good.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite if you can - totally worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nick C
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback!

We have spoken with the Restaurant Management, and they are aware that slow service can be an issue at their peak times, but are committed to resolving these concerns, while continuing to ensure the quality of their product.

Hope to see you on your next visit!

Reviewed 14 August 2011

When I came here for work my company had all its employees in Fort Mac staying at a motel in Gregoire. I thought it was ok until one of our superintendants came to pick us up and saw the inside. He immediately began trying to find a better hotel for the guys (nearly a dozen!). His search brought him to the Merit where he got a good rate and WAY better rooms and the guys and I couldn't have been happier. That was almost a year ago and now we send all our employees from labourers to project managers to stay at the Merit.
I found the service to be friendly and competent and if ever there is a problem the staff, including management, are quick to resolve it. I book rooms for the guys on site all the time and I've never had a problem getting them set up with a nice room.
The extended stay rooms are modern and clean with nice granite countertops and no shortage of flat screen TV’s. The serviceable kitchenettes are fully stocked (aside from having no oven I'm still able to make fantastic meals) and when I'm too tired to cook I gladly go down to Alexanders and have a cold beer and a nice meal. I've found the food there some of the best in town.
I have nothing but good things to say about the housekeeping staff. Compared to most hotels they go above and beyond to ensure the room is neat and clean every day.
All in all I would say I'm extremely satisfied with my experience at the Merit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamie C
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

Thank you very much for your comments!

It is sincerely our goal to exceed all our guests expectations, and it is important for us to hear when we are successful, so we can strive to replicate that with all our guests.

Thank you again, and be assured your comments have been shared with all our staff!

Reviewed 26 July 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here for two weeks. It was a frustrating and dissapointing stay.

SERVICE: The problems began with check-in where we discovered that our reservation was cancelled. We had called the day before to confirm it and they had confirmed it then deleted it. Check in took 45 minutes. Service actually went downhill from there. The front desk staff are indifferent at best and rude most of the time. They really, really don't care, preferring to chat on their cell phones rather then help you. It took six days to get a robe, nine for a can opener (remember the suites are supposed to be stocked) and the volume on our tv broke on day six of our stay. They sent a teenager to fix it and by the time he left we had only one channel. Repeated requests to fix the tv were met with "right away" but by the time we left--eight days later!--the tv was still broken.

HOUSEKEEPING: The hotel is fairly clean but housekeeping is inconsistent. When we left a tip, dishes were done and the sheets were changed; otherwise is was the bare minimum.

ROOMS: These rooms are straight out of Kafka. They are narrow, long and DARK. There is only one window in the whole room and it is in the bedroom. The living room/kitchen area (seperated by french doors) has no window. There is also NO ART or even a decorative mirror in the ENTIRE room. These rooms are terribly depressing. The flat screen tvs, however, are big (but good luck getting one that works!). The bathroom is small but fine. The kitchenette has only a mini fridge and the tiniest sink. It is impossible to do more than heat up takeout in these kitchenettes.

There is also construction from 7 am-7 pm surrounding the hotel (not their fault but jackhammering for twelve hours is just painful).

GYM: The gym is dangerous. They have crammed four cardio machines in there, with no space between them. Further, one of them is directly in front of the universal gym. It is impossible to do rows, cable pulls or numerous other exercises. The row bar is completely blocked by the treadmill. Other exercises are dangerous as you bang into the machines. The gym is also VERY DIRTY, with missing ceiling tiles and an inch of dirt on the floor.

PROS: The Pantry restaurant is in this hotel. It has a decent, basic menu and quick service. Room service is also available. Alexander's lounge: nice room, friendly atmosphere. Great for a nightcap.

So many things went wrong with our stay that it was comical. When we finally got to check out, the billing was incorrect. (We had already corrected it three times during our stay). This is what happens when a hotel is run by teenagers and lax management.

There are so few options of places to stay (and this hotel is one of six owned by the same people) that it is obvious they don't care b/c you can't really go anywhere else (except to one of their other hotels). However, there are a couple other choices and we suggest you try them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravellingLawyer10
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

We apologise for these unfortunate experiences, and assure you the specific concerns regarding our Guest Service staffs lack of attentiveness to your needs is being addressed. It is our sincere goal to exceed our guests expectations, and in this case we have obviously failed to deliver at this level.

With regards to some of your other concerns, rather than detail each item, I can say that we are committed to providing an exceptional product as well as exceptional service, and your comments, for the most part, were surprising assessments, and differed greatly from the overwhelming majority of our visitors.

We are however, assessing the lighting levels in our rooms, and have already begun the process to renovate our gym, including the removal of some of the cumbersome equipment, and evaluating what more ergonomic options we have for that space.

We greatly value feedback such as yours, as it shows us where we need to improve, and helps us to prevent future guests from having these same experiences.

Mark Perry, General Manager

Reviewed 15 October 2010

It was a good surprise the 5 days that I spent at Merit Hotel. The room is large, with 2 flat TVs 40", separate living room and a kitchen with fridge, microwave and stove top that helped a lot in case you need to prepare something quickly. Room service was really good and they managed to keep the room very very clean every day. The front desk was not that friendly but not that bad as well, they helped me on everything that I needed, including the free wireless connection and parking access. I do recommend the hotel to someone who is coming to Ft Mc on business.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank nyork12345
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Thank you very much for your review!

Mark Perry, General Manager

Reviewed 21 July 2010

This hotel has nice rooms and amenities. I stayed with two colleagues in one of the extended stay suites for 3.5 weeks. However, whether or not things work changes by the day. The cable went out a few times, the internet went out a few times, the elevators broke a few times, in the fitness center, one tred mill was broken the entire time, the water jug was never filled, new towels not brought, old towels not cleaned, and the front desk staff never knew the answers to my questions. The business center tickets for computer time did not work, and the printer was constantly out of paper. My credit card was charged 1/2 way through my stay, but I was never told this was going to happen. Also, we were charged $2/day to supposedly offset the costs incurred by the hotel for environmentally friendly practices, but I didn't see environmentally friendly practices going on...no recycling, towels washed daily even when we didn't put them on the floor, we turned off the AC when we left, but the maids turned it back on, etc. The hotel has a good location, however, and was quiet during our stay. The room was cleaned daily, and the kitchen was a nice option to offset the high costs of food here. Not a terrible experience, but I think there are better options in Ft. McMurray.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business