“Great with not a lot of room for improvement.”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
“Great with not a lot of room for improvement.”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

All and all great. Make the rooms 10 bucks a night then its amazing.
Specieal thanks to abby for going over and beyond her job description.

• Stayed December 2011
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thank you very much!

Abby was very pleased to see your comments, and we all agree, she does consistently go above and beyond!

as for $10 room rates, I wish we could comply, but unfortunately we are worth more than that, and our owners know it!

Enjoy the season!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2011

The Merit Hotel, the hotel management and staff are without doubt the best value when you stay in Ft. McMurray. The extended stay suites are a tremendous for value and alternative to working camp accommodations. The rooms are cleaned daily, and I do mean cleaned, by a very courteous staff that is very polite and energetic. The rooms are also supplied with two bottles of water and coffee, very convenient. The hotel is professional and extremely accommodating. I would like to take to acknowledge the following hotel staff. Ayoba Ka, Jose "Joe" Villacura, Abby Bazar, and Vidhya Seby and those who I did not mention. My company plans to use this hotel in all future travel plans to Ft. McMurray. Thank you to the management and staff of the Merit.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Scott S
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments!

We were all excited to read this review, and to see all our efforts make this impact on your travels!

Take care, and see you again soon!

Happy Holidays!
edmonton
Reviewed 7 December 2011

December 3, 2011
booked rm at merit hotel.
Only because of pool,we come to ft mac to visit niece.
note was left at counter for social service to drop off niece @ 2pm.
social service got there at 215pm, we arrived at 2pm .went to rm and waited.
at 400pm got call from social service stated that she waited 1 hr for us and lady at front said we have not booked in.
so anyways finally after a yrs waiting to see niece, we got to visit and give gifts.we had 5hrs to visit but also drove 5hrs to get there.
what bugged me was the fact that when we went to go swimming it was closed due to bacteria levels in pool.
now i booked a rm at merit because of pool.
now the kids were very upset they could not swim.
after all the mishaps i had my wife n 2kids nephew and niece.they offered 3 free breakfast cards.
also i was told there was continental breakfast. so had to spend an extra 50 bucks for meals ....not impressed at all.thanks merit much appreciated.

Room Tip: when and if you book here , ask for details.or get it in writing
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chuck c
Thank you for your comments, I would love the chance to speak with you in detail, to clarify some of the details you mention.

In general, we are aware that communication can sometimes be a challenge and are constantly seeking ways to improve our communication both with our co-workers as well as our guests, and we are trying very hard to understand how this experience happened to you.

The pool was unfortunately out of service for cleaning, as there was a relatively common skin irritating bacteria found in one of our daily water samples taken. It is unfortunate that this impacted your stay so significantly, and i would love to get the chance to make this up to you.

Mark Perry
(780) 881-0811
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The hotel was very nice, I got a great room! Room was very very clean!
I think my room was renovated - looked new!
Seby was great at the front desk along with the other folks who helped me during my stay.
Pool was closed - but looked nice.
Thanks!
Restaurant attached didn't try as I waited at the front but no one ever came to seat me, so I just left.
Christmas decorations were nice in the lobby.

Room Tip: 306 was good....
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bjtell
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for your comments. I deeply apologise for your experience at our restaurant, and would like to assure you that we are working with the owners of the restaurant to ensure this is investigated and to ensure this does not happen again.

Our Housekeeping staff are very proud of the work they do, and it shows!

Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you here again soon!
Reviewed 4 December 2011

After staying in many different hotels in the area, we found this one and found it the most pleasant one.
Special Thanks to:
Ayoba Ka
Vidhya Seby

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank AxelArenas
Thank you! You have definitely put a smile on the face of our staff here!

Hopefully we will see you again soon!

Mark Perry - General Manager
Fort Mc Murray
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I would like to bring to attention the good quality of service we received from ''Seby'' and others. Seby been a good listener for our need, provided good answering with proper decisional limitation. Her friendly smile and attitude brought me to write down this essays because off some talk between my company and partner here at this spare laps moment of my week. If it wasn't of the hot tub closure and lack of washing and drying machine my sejour in thin hotel would have been perfect.
Overall her professionnalisme would be improved with less decisional restriction from above.
André room #103

Room Tip: Kitchenette are decent with convectional stove and mini fridge but lack of oven
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Andre N
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you very much for your comments! We are always working to improve, and we are so glad that Seby made such an impact on your stay.

She was very happy to recieve these comments, and we are vey proud to have her as one of the newest additions to our team here.

See you again soon!
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The staff are good, friendly and helpful - the rooms are ok and resonably clean but aged and worn. The cafe is very old truck stop type of food. I have the misfortune to have the fish n'chips....sooooo much grease that I had to sponge it off, the McCains chips were at lease a day old. I ate there the next day as we had a breakfast meeting. Let me assure you that the orders were mixed up .... and the eggs were cooked in the same greese as fish from the night before. On a better note.... the wine glass was clear...better than the water glass. So as a fair acessment the hotel is ok...stay away from their cafe....

Room Tip: I am now using the Sawridge for both food and stay, The Raddison for stay, and will be trying the No...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
I would like to thank you for your comments, as it is this feedback that helps us to improve, and that is constantly our goal.

I am happy to inform you that our re-vamp of our Hotel Wing is well underway, and by mid-January we expect all the Corridor Carpeting, in-room bedding, and a few other small touches to be completely replaced.

We won't be stopping there, as we aim to ensure our rooms continue to be the primier rooms and suites in Fort McMurray.

I sincerely apologise for your experience in the Pantry Restaurant, and have passed your feedback and comments onto their Owners and Management. I know they are very eager to hear from all their customers, and aim to be constantly improving their product and service as well.

If there is anything else I can do to assist you during any of your stays in Fort McMurray, please do no hesitate to ask.

Mark Perry - General Manager

Tip - if Food & Beverage is an important component of your Hotel stay, the Nomad Hotel has the only Keg in town, as well as a great Pub downstairs and a very nice Cafe on the Main level!