“Room Fantastic - Amenities good, but could use a little work”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I travel for business a lot. I usually stick to the big chain hotels, but in fort McMurray, I took a chance because the big chains are non-existent there. I based my stay at Merit a lot on the reviews here, and pictures posted on their website.

The room - If I could, I would give it 6 out of 5 stars. I stayed in an extended stay double queen suite. The room was wonderfully clean and seemed like a little apartment. The bed was very comfortable (and I am very particular about my beds). It had a small kitchen with everything you need. the washroom was typical. The shower faucet took a little troubleshooting to figure out how to use, though.

The Amenities - Before I ramble on here, I figure I should mention something first. I am on the road for business a lot, so these hotels tend to be my home. If you are just looking for a bed and shower, this hotel is definitely top notch. Here is a little more detail:

-the service at the front counter was great. The nice lady got me into my room nice and quick and explained where everything was for me. The hotel is as secure as can be, with card swipes required for just about everything (Including the elevator).

-Free breakfast each morning. Need I say more?

-Every day inside the room, soaps and shampoos where restocked and the room was cleaned. Not too often do you get that for extended stays. It was nice to see that. The room shampoos and soaps seemed to be pretty good quality too.

-The room had your coffee maker with the selection of a few coffees and teas. There where no travel cups though. Usually I take the coffee on the go, so I didn't even use it.

-The room had too televisions. Both nice LCD's. One in the bedroom and one in the main room. The positioning of the one in the main room was a little odd though. It was located directly left of the couch, and there is no way you could watch TV from the couch unless you lay across it.

-the internet security was great. You required to notify the front desk on how many devices needed to use the internet. Never had that before. What was really nice was when I left the room for a day and came back, I didn't have to enter in my security code each time (Most hotels, you have to do that and it can be tedious with long passwords). The speed was the fastest I have ever had at a hotel. I was able to Skype with my girlfriend flawlessly, which is also quite rare.

-The Fitness room and pool. Now here is where I thought the hotel fell short. The pool was closed. Based on reviews posted months ago, the pool has obviously been closed for a long time now. I use the pool at every hotel I go to and it was frustrating that the pool was closed.

The fitness room was tiny. A little box with free weights, one bench, one elliptical, bike and treadmill. I enjoyed the free weights instead of the typical 'all in one' workout machine, but I wish there was another bench to use. And every time I wanted to go work out, there was a few people in the workout room and I couldn't. Make it bigger and maybe add a little more variety.

-There was no little 'convenience store' (with food, drinks, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc). There was just a vending machine. When I am there for business, I pay for nothing and I need receipts. I can't use these machines so I always had to go out to hunt down the things I needed. That is okay, but sometimes I am lazy and I want to grab something quick and unfortunately I couldn't.

the price - Personally I don't care because I don't pay for it. I have heard people complain about the price of the hotels in Fort McMurray, and I do agree. The prices for all hotels in FM are generally all the same and all pretty expensive.

At the end of the day, this hotel was great and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kevin M
Jean-pierre B, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel in such details. All the personnel were very happy to see your comment. We also take your recommendation in consideration and it will be done in a near future. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed in a suite at the Merit on Franklin for business that included a kitchen, work area, two queen beds, and living area. Was in pretty good shape for Fort Mac hotel, and was nice and quiet at night. Was about $250/night.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Franklin are quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank shaqthom
Jean-pierre B, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

I really appreciate your comment and would like to welcome you again. I am the new General Manager of this hotel and I do value any feedback from our guest. With your comment we can achieve the best comfort of being home away from home. Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

simply put the staff is friendly all around. when i arrived i felt a good vibe from the front desk, and as i keep extending my stay week by week i still feel like the first time i walked threw the door. every morning when i grab my coffee i'm told to have a good day and greeted with a smile, and every day i get back the same can be said. if there is a better hotel to stay at in fort mcmurry i haven't found it yet.
thanks to all the staff and keep up the good work.

ps. no special thanks is needed on account that all the staff are above exceptional.

THANKS MIKE

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank mike r
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Thanks! We are so proud of our hotel and it shows!

It makes it worth all the hard work we all go through to see comments like this!

Thank you again, and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 20 December 2011

All and all great. Make the rooms 10 bucks a night then its amazing.
Specieal thanks to abby for going over and beyond her job description.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you very much!

Abby was very pleased to see your comments, and we all agree, she does consistently go above and beyond!

as for $10 room rates, I wish we could comply, but unfortunately we are worth more than that, and our owners know it!

Enjoy the season!

Reviewed 10 December 2011

The Merit Hotel, the hotel management and staff are without doubt the best value when you stay in Ft. McMurray. The extended stay suites are a tremendous for value and alternative to working camp accommodations. The rooms are cleaned daily, and I do mean cleaned, by a very courteous staff that is very polite and energetic. The rooms are also supplied with two bottles of water and coffee, very convenient. The hotel is professional and extremely accommodating. I would like to take to acknowledge the following hotel staff. Ayoba Ka, Jose "Joe" Villacura, Abby Bazar, and Vidhya Seby and those who I did not mention. My company plans to use this hotel in all future travel plans to Ft. McMurray. Thank you to the management and staff of the Merit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Scott S
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments!

We were all excited to read this review, and to see all our efforts make this impact on your travels!

Take care, and see you again soon!

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 7 December 2011

December 3, 2011
booked rm at merit hotel.
Only because of pool,we come to ft mac to visit niece.
note was left at counter for social service to drop off niece @ 2pm.
social service got there at 215pm, we arrived at 2pm .went to rm and waited.
at 400pm got call from social service stated that she waited 1 hr for us and lady at front said we have not booked in.
so anyways finally after a yrs waiting to see niece, we got to visit and give gifts.we had 5hrs to visit but also drove 5hrs to get there.
what bugged me was the fact that when we went to go swimming it was closed due to bacteria levels in pool.
now i booked a rm at merit because of pool.
now the kids were very upset they could not swim.
after all the mishaps i had my wife n 2kids nephew and niece.they offered 3 free breakfast cards.
also i was told there was continental breakfast. so had to spend an extra 50 bucks for meals ....not impressed at all.thanks merit much appreciated.

Room Tip: when and if you book here , ask for details.or get it in writing
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank chuck c

Thank you for your comments, I would love the chance to speak with you in detail, to clarify some of the details you mention.

In general, we are aware that communication can sometimes be a challenge and are constantly seeking ways to improve our communication both with our co-workers as well as our guests, and we are trying very hard to understand how this experience happened to you.

The pool was unfortunately out of service for cleaning, as there was a relatively common skin irritating bacteria found in one of our daily water samples taken. It is unfortunate that this impacted your stay so significantly, and i would love to get the chance to make this up to you.

Mark Perry
(780) 881-0811

Reviewed 4 December 2011

The hotel was very nice, I got a great room! Room was very very clean!
I think my room was renovated - looked new!
Seby was great at the front desk along with the other folks who helped me during my stay.
Pool was closed - but looked nice.
Thanks!
Restaurant attached didn't try as I waited at the front but no one ever came to seat me, so I just left.
Christmas decorations were nice in the lobby.

Room Tip: 306 was good....
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bjtell
MeritGM, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for your comments. I deeply apologise for your experience at our restaurant, and would like to assure you that we are working with the owners of the restaurant to ensure this is investigated and to ensure this does not happen again.

Our Housekeeping staff are very proud of the work they do, and it shows!

Thank you again, and I look forward to seeing you here again soon!