“Service with bad attitude.”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
“Service with bad attitude.”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Cleanliness was on par with most places. The decor was out dated. Seriously, what was that big square box on the dresser?

The staff was a combination of incompetent and disgustingly snobby. Upon rounding a corner and slipping on the wet floor, I said wow, that's slippery. Staff member stated that's why there's signs. I said excuse me? She told me it's so if I slip its my own fault not the hotel.

I highly doubt that I will stay here again. This was a terrible excuse for a hotel. Merit hotels should be ashamed of this establishment.

• Stayed January 2013
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear you did not receive exceptional service, we will be replacing our TV's by new flat screen ones in a couple of months.
We have also have shared your concerns with our Management Team, and I assure you we are working to ensure this is not repeated in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Very unsatisfied with my stay. The front desk struggled with updating my address and shortly after one of the custodians was really rude as we'll not happy! The t.v is old as the hills my friend and I were waljing after we talked to the front desk we rounded a corner coming in contact with a slippery floor we stated that that was sluopery and one of the house staff said thats why there are signs so if you hurt yourself its your own fault. Busch league my friends

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank milezdeep
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I booked a FULL Kitchen as per the pictures I received as well as asking directly if the unit has a FULL kitchen complete with full fridge and oven,stove. They assured me it was. I was to stay for 2months ( Jan and Feb ). After driving 15 hours and arriving at 7:30PM I was exhausted and then checked into my room only to find that it contained a mini fridge and a 2 burner top no oven.
The microwave was an old antique and was very small. It was not even a convection microwave

So I called the front desk only to find out that NONE of the extended stay units had what I requested.
So at 8PM I was looking around Ft. Mcmurray for another unit and finally got settled in about midnight.
Never will I even suggest the Merit nor will I ever recommend it

Room Tip: go to the Platinum before you consider the Merit
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Warner R
We are sorry for the confusion and incorrect information on your reservation request.
I have shared your concerns with our Management Team, and I assure you we are working to ensure this is not repeated in the future.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I had been to this hotel 2 years ago and had a good experience. This time was no different but I must say that it needs updating badly. Paying $200 plus per night and staying in a suite with old clunky televisions that buzz when turned on is unacceptable. This city is full of money and these hotels are filled day in and out. There is no excuse in my opinion. The other comment is having the bar in the hotel close at 11 pm on a Saturday night. That is unbelievable!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia O
Thank you for your comments. We will pass it on to our staff . We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Fort MacMurray.
Michel Joncas
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We had reservations for 3 nights at the Merit Hotel last week but when we arrived there seemed to be a mix up with the dates. Staff went out of their way to assist us and acutally went above and beyond and upgraded us to a suite (which our young son loved). Staff, especially Pearl, at the hotel were so friendly and welcoming. We will stay there again in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Michelle0630
Jean-pierre B, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
I would like to thank you for giving us a good review after you had experienced some inconvenience. The entire team works hard to make our guest feel at home without any problems. I am proud of the work Pearl did to make your stay memorable with your family. We look forward to welcoming again in the near future.
Milton, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I travel for business a lot. I usually stick to the big chain hotels, but in fort McMurray, I took a chance because the big chains are non-existent there. I based my stay at Merit a lot on the reviews here, and pictures posted on their website.

The room - If I could, I would give it 6 out of 5 stars. I stayed in an extended stay double queen suite. The room was wonderfully clean and seemed like a little apartment. The bed was very comfortable (and I am very particular about my beds). It had a small kitchen with everything you need. the washroom was typical. The shower faucet took a little troubleshooting to figure out how to use, though.

The Amenities - Before I ramble on here, I figure I should mention something first. I am on the road for business a lot, so these hotels tend to be my home. If you are just looking for a bed and shower, this hotel is definitely top notch. Here is a little more detail:

-the service at the front counter was great. The nice lady got me into my room nice and quick and explained where everything was for me. The hotel is as secure as can be, with card swipes required for just about everything (Including the elevator).

-Free breakfast each morning. Need I say more?

-Every day inside the room, soaps and shampoos where restocked and the room was cleaned. Not too often do you get that for extended stays. It was nice to see that. The room shampoos and soaps seemed to be pretty good quality too.

-The room had your coffee maker with the selection of a few coffees and teas. There where no travel cups though. Usually I take the coffee on the go, so I didn't even use it.

-The room had too televisions. Both nice LCD's. One in the bedroom and one in the main room. The positioning of the one in the main room was a little odd though. It was located directly left of the couch, and there is no way you could watch TV from the couch unless you lay across it.

-the internet security was great. You required to notify the front desk on how many devices needed to use the internet. Never had that before. What was really nice was when I left the room for a day and came back, I didn't have to enter in my security code each time (Most hotels, you have to do that and it can be tedious with long passwords). The speed was the fastest I have ever had at a hotel. I was able to Skype with my girlfriend flawlessly, which is also quite rare.

-The Fitness room and pool. Now here is where I thought the hotel fell short. The pool was closed. Based on reviews posted months ago, the pool has obviously been closed for a long time now. I use the pool at every hotel I go to and it was frustrating that the pool was closed.

The fitness room was tiny. A little box with free weights, one bench, one elliptical, bike and treadmill. I enjoyed the free weights instead of the typical 'all in one' workout machine, but I wish there was another bench to use. And every time I wanted to go work out, there was a few people in the workout room and I couldn't. Make it bigger and maybe add a little more variety.

-There was no little 'convenience store' (with food, drinks, toothbrushes, deodorant, etc). There was just a vending machine. When I am there for business, I pay for nothing and I need receipts. I can't use these machines so I always had to go out to hunt down the things I needed. That is okay, but sometimes I am lazy and I want to grab something quick and unfortunately I couldn't.

the price - Personally I don't care because I don't pay for it. I have heard people complain about the price of the hotels in Fort McMurray, and I do agree. The prices for all hotels in FM are generally all the same and all pretty expensive.

At the end of the day, this hotel was great and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Kevin M
Jean-pierre B, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel in such details. All the personnel were very happy to see your comment. We also take your recommendation in consideration and it will be done in a near future. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed in a suite at the Merit on Franklin for business that included a kitchen, work area, two queen beds, and living area. Was in pretty good shape for Fort Mac hotel, and was nice and quiet at night. Was about $250/night.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing Franklin are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank shaqthom
Jean-pierre B, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
I really appreciate your comment and would like to welcome you again. I am the new General Manager of this hotel and I do value any feedback from our guest. With your comment we can achieve the best comfort of being home away from home. Thank you and we hope to see you soon.