“Detail to Cleanliness and Service, Secure”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Edmonton, Canada
“Detail to Cleanliness and Service, Secure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Staying here on several occasions, I can confidently say the staff are helpful, the hotel entry way, and hallways are kept clean in every way. The rooms are clean as well and many have fridges, etc. Having an elevator that requires your pass card adds security and a good thing in a "boom economy" city like Fort McMurray. The restaurant/lounge attached is convenient when needed. The one down side is that the gym equipment, although newer, obvioulsy was not a quality brand as they are often broken down and in my opinion need to be replaced with a better brand & product.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
We are delighted to read that you have truly enjoyed you stay at our hotel and were satisfied with the overall provided services. Rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team and we do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel. For the Fitness center we appreciate your input and rest assure that we have shared your comments with our owners.
We do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
White Rock, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

One might imagine that spending about $250 a night would put you in an awesome room in one of Alberta's resorts. In Fort McMurray, that amount buys you a basic hotel room at a average hotel. Consider yourself lucky to get accommodation at any price because this town is booming and the hotels/motels (and everything else) are busy. The staff at the reception desk were both friendly and professional during our check in and out. The cleaning staff passed we in the hallways, also friendly. The hotel and our room were both very clean, remarkable considering how snowy/muddy Fort McMurray is in March. Both the room and bathroom were average in size and comfort. The indoor poor area provides a nice break, with warm water and lots of windows to look out at the blowing snow. During our visit, the hot tub had hot water but non working jets. Funny how awkward sitting in a small pool with a stranger feels. The attached Pantry restaurant is consistently inconsistent for both food and service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you may have experienced concerning the hot tub and we advised our maintenance department to verify the problem.
For the cleaness of the room and the Front desk staff that you found both friendly and professional rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team and we do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

From the check in to my departure the staff was great.....polite and very friendly! The rooms were clean and spacious. Pearl was extremely helpful with my check out. There was a little misunderstanding with the bill but Pearl took care of it with professionalism and courtesy. I would recommend staying here anytime!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for your comments. We will pass along your positive comment to Pearl.We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Fort MacMurray
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

The last 2 stays have been without any problem (I am there every month for 3 nights).
Earlier stays were less coordinated with my 3rd party payor. Computer system problems were previously obviously opaque to the reception staff trying to access info.
Best to book in advance for hotel accommodation, and for limo airport-hotel and return, by internet. Limo drivers are friendly, but verbal communication with the majority is very fragile, i.e., not reliablly understandable. Better would be communiciation by sms - readable - if possible.
The room, internet access speed, hotel room quality and reception staff accuracy have now improved to match better quality hotels at the same price level.
The hotel will hopefully continue to offer wired access internet - the service at much more acceptable speeds than wireless.
I will continue to choose this hotel vs alternate accomation with my 3rd party payor.

Room Tip: Wired internet is useful if higher speed is needed. Free-Weights are (were at least now) 20, th...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you to Fort McMurray
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I just spent two nights staying in the Merit Hotel in Ft. McMurray and have no complaints about the experience. The room I had on the third floor was clean and spacious, the bathroom was clean and well stocked and more importantly the bed was comfortable and provided a good nights' sleep. The front desk and housekeeping staff I had contact with were friendly and helpfull. The room rate is expensive compared to similar properties in other locations I visit, however, one needs to keep in mind that this is Ft. McMurray where high wages is the norm and accommodation generally appears to be scarce and like everywhere else, market forces will set the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Sherwood Park, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Incompetent does not even begin to describe the hotel staff. During my stay, the front desk checked in four other guests to my room on four separate occasions. WHILE I WAS IN THERE! My coworker was at work, when this happened to him, and he came back to someone else checked into his room. How did the Merit fix this? Did they give him an upgrade? No. They put him in a lower class room. After arguing with the front desk staff, we finally had enough and both checked out and went to another hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Glenn T
I have shared your concerns with our Management Team, and I assure you we are working to ensure this is not repeated in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

Cleanliness was on par with most places. The decor was out dated. Seriously, what was that big square box on the dresser?

The staff was a combination of incompetent and disgustingly snobby. Upon rounding a corner and slipping on the wet floor, I said wow, that's slippery. Staff member stated that's why there's signs. I said excuse me? She told me it's so if I slip its my own fault not the hotel.

I highly doubt that I will stay here again. This was a terrible excuse for a hotel. Merit hotels should be ashamed of this establishment.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear you did not receive exceptional service, we will be replacing our TV's by new flat screen ones in a couple of months.
We have also have shared your concerns with our Management Team, and I assure you we are working to ensure this is not repeated in the future.