“Awesome place to live”

Merit Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
“Awesome place to live”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The front desk is very welcoming specialy Pearl. She knows me by name and she is very friendly. Rooms are always clean. If they can provide parking for trucks that will be awesome. This is where I usually stay when in Fort McMurray, which is pretty often.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hanju B. B
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are very pleased to hear that our team has made this a comfortable home away from home for you and look forward to hosting you during future visits.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at the Merit for week of May 27-June 1 and have to say that the service by the front desk was just great.
I had a number of requests during my stay for printing some documents and this was done quickly, efficiently and with a smile. One quick e mail from my computer to their guest services group and BANG...It was Done.. Even printed out my boarding pass for me on the day of departure. .Also had to change our departure date and this also was looked after with a smile and they ensured me a better daily rate for the longer stay. Great service from the front desk crew and the Sunday brunch crew at the adjoining Pantry Restaurant. I will return to the Merit next time I plan a trip to Fort McMurray.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us.
You can be assure that I will share your excellent review with my entire staff.
Thanks again for choosing the Merit Hotel and we hope to see you soon on your next visit in Fort McMurray.
LONGVIEW
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Fort McMurray is nothing but a very industrial town. Oil winning from the tar sands is what's going on and you can only imagine...
The population has doubled in the last 4 to 6 years and is about 160,000 with 70,000 so called 'shadow residents'. (= oil industry workers)
Bus service is good and on the opposite end of town from this hotel is a truly magnificent sports complex on McDonald Island. Excellent pool and sports/recreational facility.
People are very friendly but I was unable to locate any outstanding restaurants beyond the standard and franchise fare.
The hotel is nice, no idea why the pool is still drained and postings on the door suggest a building inspection issue. If your main reason to travel to the Merit is a typical hotel pool, stay home. But the rooms are comfortable, have a microwave, fridge and two televisions; one in the bedroom area, one in the sitting area.
There's a great pub downstairs serving very good food (the shepherds pie was awesome!) and you don't even have to go outside to get there. Across the street is a fast food noodle joint, a 'healthy' burrito place, a gas station with a convenience store and an adult video establishment. (Hey, it's an oil 'paradise' - what do you expect?)

We had to be there for business and with that in mind, it was not bad despite the early May snow. Even considering the fact that the room rates are in Canadian dollars, it ain't cheap but this is also a function of the industrial atmosphere. It appears that the Merit Hotel and many others along this main drag are owned by the same conglomerate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and I will share your positive comments with my staff.
Concerning the pool, we were on the process to change it from chlorine to salt water, that is why the pool was closed, and it is normal to get the Health department involved in this kind of change.
I am happy to say that the pool is open now and our clients are loving it.
Hope to see you again on your next visit to Fort McMurray.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Excellent Staff from the great GM, lovely front desk staff, and to the friendly housekeeping staff,.... clean rooms.... Underground Parking... great place compared to other hotels in Fort Mc Murray which make me always stay when I visit the town....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you Mustapha K. for your review.
I will make sure to share this with the entire staff.
Thanks for your kind words, we always try to get to know our customer when possible so we can know their needs.
Hope to see you soon in our hotel!
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The front desk is very welcoming. Pearl now knows me by name and is very friendly. Rooms are always clean, the exercise room is a little small, but I usually have it to myself. Underground parking in a Fort McMurray winter is great! This is where I usually stay when in Fort McMurray, which is pretty often.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you Curtis R for your kind words.
I will make sure that Pearl get your appraisals.
Also thank you from the Housekeeping department, it is nice to see customer like you recognize their hard work.
Hope see you soon in our hotel.
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Best front staff, always willing to help and very welcoming! The GM engages his customer and the cleaning staff are friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable with a good selection of pillows to find your comfort spot! Food at the Pantry is good and the pub service is great! Best service in Fort McMurray!

Room Tip: I prefer a suit for working in at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We are delighted to read that you have truly enjoyed you stay at our hotel and were satisfied with the overall provided services.
Rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team and we do look forward to welcoming you soon again to our hotel.
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I have severally used this hotel and suites, and really enjoyed it each time I lodged here. They have excellent suites with absolutely all you might need to make you feel relax and enjoy. And the Staff are welcoming and excellent as well. Experience will say more about this wonderful hotel and suites.

Room Tip: I just like all the rooms. All the rooms used so far are excellent
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Michel J, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 April 2014