“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This hotel surprised me with comfortable spacious rooms, it was very clean, the staff was friendly and responsive to requests (and I can be pretty picky traveler :) ). The location is very central, I particularly enjoyed their lounge with live music. Definitely will come back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BGTravellerDS
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We will share your comments with our team. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when traveling to the area in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay, a clean comfortable room after a long day of driving. The hotel is well maintained, the beds were comfortable and the room was well prepared, with great service. We would recommend this to anyone & We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Icah08
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you Icah for taking the time to submit your kind review. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoy our Hotel. We look forward to being your hotel of choice when travelling to the area.
Toronto
Reviewed 21 August 2014

So I've been travelling to Fort McMurray on and off for years and have stayed in just about every hotel up there. This hotel is by far my favourite. Not the fanciest, hardly the Four Seasons and not the cheapest (little in Fort McMurray is cheap) yet overall the consistent hotel thats perfect for a reasonable average guy like me.

The staff are this hotel are friendly, The old faces always remember me and treat me like a dear friend and i'd like to think over time we have to some extend developed legit friendships. My last visit was after quite a few months and the staff who have been there for a while all remembered me and sincerely come across as being glad to see an "old pal"! It definitely feels nice. Not just another customer walking through their doors.

The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, not the biggest equipment selection in the gym but all in all good for a morning workout. More or less sufficient for the average joe, not for the die hard gym rat fitness enthusiast. the Pool was closed for maintenance and upkeep which is understandable, would have been nice if it was opened though, but hardly the end of the world for me personally.

I like the restaurant, they have a good breakfast selection, I'm not around during the day so I can't really comment on the lunch and when I have dinner I usually pop into the hotels bar and enjoy the food, service and general atmosphere in there with my co-workers. It's relaxed and a fun place when there is a game on and it gets busy. the staff in the bar are great, they are "characters" but thats what makes them so enjoyable.

As someone who's stayed here about 10 times now over the past few years, usually for a week or two at a time, I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling up to Fort Mac. It's a great place with great people and I plan to return every time I can and will always push my company to book my co-workers and I here, especially after some recent experimentations at other hotels.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator landings. It's quite a spread out hotel and too much foot traffic congreg...
1 Thank axels
Thank you Axels for your kind review. We will share you comments with our team to reinforce the things we are doing right that make your visits with us so enjoyable and afford us your repeat patronage. We look forward to continuing to be your hotel of choice when travelling to the area.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at the merit august 17-19th and was givent he summer promotion, and was promised a free room upgrade,

which was most certainly not what i received. I arrived late sunday and by the time i was up in the room i wanted nothing to do but sleep. And felt unnecessary to move rooms for one night.

I just feel as if you are going to offer that as a treat please honor it. I mnetioned this to the gentleman at the front desk and all he said is he would talk to whoever checked me in and that was it,

Other than the rooms, everything else in the hotel is just fine,

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor, the business suites have very high ceilings and lots of space.
1 Thank Crystal D
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review Crystal. I'm glad to hear the service offered to you by out staff was good. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the shortfall in communication and follow up between the individual you booked with and the one you addressed your concern regarding your room type with so that we may use this as an opportunity to learn from it and avoid future similar occurrences.
Manitowaning, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed for 1 night only. Upon check in staff can't even understand the word I say and took so long to get my room key. And when I reached my room the door key did not work so from the fourth floor I needed to get down to have my key work. The worst part it the staff did not even apologized. I got in to my room and felt hungry so I called the restaurant for room service and nobody answered my call. Called the front desk that I would need to order food and they told me that I have to call the restaurant myself. So in frustration I just slept. Room is noisy maybe because of the air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear J.W. Thank you for your review, we will be sure to share your comments about your experience with our team to use it as a learning opportunity to improve our overall product and service offering.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have been using your Hotel for over a year now when I am on business in the Mac, usually once every couple months. I can always count on a nice clean room and underground parking which is a bonus both summer and winter. Keep up the good work folks, see you again soon.

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad room.
1 Thank Ron A
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you Ron for your kind review, your comments will be shared with our team. Were very please that our hotel is your first choice for accommodations when travelling to the area. We look forward to continuing to be your preferred hotel in Fort McMurray!
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Friendly staff, convenient location, adjoining restaurant

The staff are very courteous and polite. They make you feel special and not just some average traveler. The location is close to the airport, but yet still downtown.

There is no free breakfast but there is a restaurant that part of the same building. It is called the Pantry.

There is also a bar, separate from the restaurant, but shares the same kitchen and menu. This makes having a few beers easy because you can just sip some suds and then walk up to your room and go to bed.

I'd recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Nuwan E, General Manager at Merit Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review Jason, we appreciate you taking the time.

It's great to hear that our team goes the extra mile to make you feel welcome and at home. We will share your comments with the team so that all who have impacted your visits to the Merit Hotel & Suites in such a great way celebrate this success.

We look forward to your future visits as your travel to the area.