“Home away from home”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
St. Albert, Canada
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have been staying at the Franklin for a couple years now every couple weeks. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Ft. McMurray primarily because of the staff. Annie and her team are second to none. They make a point of knowing each of their customers by name and their smiles are infectious. The underground parking, quiteness of the hotel, and unique size and shape of the rooms are a nice change from the normal "cookie cutter" hotels in the rest of the city. Yes it would be nice to have a restaurant but there are several within easy walking distance. Access is very easy out to the mines in the morning and easy to get back from in the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Annie H, General Manager at Franklin Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful comments. We are of course always thrilled to see that our hard work pays off and we greatly value your support. Thank you once again and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Annie Hachac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I really liked my room. It was large and I can easily imagine staying there for a couple of weeks. An in-house restaurant would have made my stay much more comfortable but there were a few places closeby so it wasn't too bad. The towels could have been a bit cleaner and the "continental" breakfast was just muffins and cereal, but the place was roomy and clean. I especially enjoyed the balcony.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Annie H, General Manager at Franklin Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your most valuable feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience you experience with regards to breakfast and towels. I will certainly pass your comments to the rest of my Team. We are continuously striving to satisfy all of our guests concerns and your comments are extremely helpful in order for us to maintain the highest level of hospitality. We hope to welcome you back in the most foreseeable future. Once again, thank you very much!

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Stayed here for two days. As usual the staff is very attentive. When I checked in I noticed the toilet paper roll was in pieces on the floor. I mentioned when I went for supper and when I got back, everything was fixed. The room is nicely appointed, but they need to spend a little attention to detail in cleaning. They tile baseboard was detached behind the toilet and noticed a lot of dirt in the corners. The light switches and the thermostat were fairly dirty as well. If the room had a good cleaning it would be perfect, but these left me feeling a little uneasy. Overall I enjoyed the stay and the comfort, the best "value" for your money, as this town is expensive!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking another some of your valuable time to give comment on your most recent stay. Our Team will continue to work harder in order to achieve guest's expectations and on behalf of my team I thank you for passing on this feedback. We are most appreciative of your support and rest assured that those things that you brought to our intention will be addressed.

Once again thank you very much and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We were very nervous when we found we had been booked by a client into the Franklin Suites. Our last stay was rather uncomfortable with a patio door that was too small for its frame, allowing in wind and any thief who could do a bit of climbing.

But the good news is that the hotel company fixed the doors...at least on #304. We like the room with its set of two TVs (older models, but good pictures), its full kitchenette with microwave and hotplate, dishes and cutlery, and its comfortably split sleeping and sitting area.

If you stay here in winter, you must crank your heat...as the windows are large and the northern temps eagerly enter the room. I had some time figuring out how to turn up the thermostat until I discovered that it is a touch screen on the wall.

The woman at the front desk was very pleasant and attentive. An extra pillow was easily had.

Note: Because you will be charged a $50 incidental fee (which will be refunded on your credit card if not used), you should check your inventory in the suite. We were short a wine glass, and informed the front desk so that we wouldn't find a charge on our bill for a missing glass.

Another note: This property is wonderfully close to McDonald Island.

Room Tip: Be sure to check your patio door upon entering your room. Does it fit tightly into the door frame? D...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Annie H, General Manager at Franklin Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you very much for your review! It is feedback like yours that allow us to identify shortcomings in our operations, and enable us to constantly improve to meet the needs of all of our guests. Rest assured that your feedback will be passed on to the entire Team.

Once again thank you very much and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I stayed here for just under a week, working around the oilfields and the big fire crews that were up there. It was fantastic to come back to the Franklin to my nice big room. The kitchenette was a nice touch, because we were usually so tired we didn't want to go anywhere. Since Fort Mac is a place people go to work, they really do their best at the Franklin to make it a place that feels like home. Hot showers, comfortable rooms, lots of amenities.

And the staff! They were all so friendly and kind. Especially the breakfast lady, she was always such a treat at 4 in the morning when I wanted a hot meal to sustain me for the next 8 hours.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your most valuable feedback. We are of course always thrilled to see that our hard work pays off and we greatly value your support. Rest assured we have passed your comments to all concerned within our property.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed there for the first me this week and had a good experience. The room was fairly clean, except for some large crumbs on the floor that I mentioned to the front desk (they never came to clean it up). Besides that, nice rooms, large. The only thing I didn't like is my room was facing the street by the freeway, and it was pretty loud. This is a place I will stay again. Breakfast was good, and the service was good as well.

Room Tip: request a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful comments, as it is this feedback that helps us to improve, and that is constantly our goal.

I sincerely apologise for your experience with regards to some large crumbs on the floor. Rest assured we have passed your comments to all concerned within our property.

Once again, thank you very much and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Probably one of the best spots to stay when in Fort McMurray. Owned by the "Fort McMurray Group of Hotels" and probably one of the best in their line up. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are always clean. Parking is never a problem. This is Fort Mac, people don't (or shouldn't) go there for pleasure. The only think I look for when i get back to the hotel is comfort, good wifi, and a good night sleep. The Franklin Suite Hotel gives you that. The complementary breakfast starts early, is basic, and is hosted by a very friendly lady who knows how to make great coffee. No complaints!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your most valuable feedback. We appreciate your positive comments which will be passed on to the entire Team. It makes it worth all the hard work we all go through to see comments like this!

Once again, thank you very much for your support!