“I would avoid this hotel like the plague”

Clearwater Suite Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Hotel is right beside the highway, so it's super noisey, service was horrible!!! Go in expecting nothing and no service and you'll be fine. All the oil patch work live there so if you are looking for a party hotel with a bunch drunks whooping it up the Clearwater is perfect. I would recomend avoiding this hotel the pooulan hotel or sawridge is much better. Breakfast at the hotel is a joke, verse the hot breakfasts at the other hotels.

Room Tip: All the industrial trucks park there and they beep loud when the back out in the morning.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Mr5star_12
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Guest. I am sincerely sorry your most recent stay did not met your expectations. The practicality of our location has been usually mostly appreciated by our guests, and I am sorry we could not have moved you to a quieter room. As suggested through another review, and upon availibility, we are most happy to relocate any guest to a quieter Suite on another side of the property.
Indeed our full Kitchenette Suites having all the comfort of a "home away from home" are most appreciated by all our guests. With the Oil Sands being the biggest industrial work zone on the planet at our door step, I could not contradict you by denying that any activities related to this massive undertaking are not in fact taking place. The Oil Sands is a 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days project complemented by work crews and road traffic which are scheduled on different shifts. But to alleviate any issues guests may have in relation to safety and comfort, we do have discreet on site security patrolls inspecting our room corridors and are instructed to quiet down any disturbances if any.
As stated above, our Suites have all the comfort expected inclusive of a full commercial fridge, stove top, diswhashers, sink etc... making very practical for anybody to cook their own daily meals. But understanding time is short in this very active work environment, and in addition of the these amenities listed above, we do offer a light Hot Continental Breakfast for guests in a hurry with a choice of Cold cereals, Juice, Baked Goods, Fresh Fruit Salad, Hot Eggs and proteine and other related Breakfast items.
We have and will continuously strive to get the highest guest service rating possible and we were most proud to once again this year have 2 of our Team Members been nominated for the annual coveted Hospitality Tourism awards.
I would certainly hope you would give us a second chance to make the right "First impression" and to be of further assistance on your next visit. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I should start by clarifying that Fort McMurray is a place that you will go only if you have to. Having said that, I will add that this is one of the best choices in hotels, if not the first
“Downtown” is not really more than a couple of blocks, with a supermarket, a little mall and a casino being the center of it. Clearwater is right there. You cross the street and you have the supermarket to your right, and the mall in front of the lobby. Really great location, given the circumstances
Rooms are large. They have 1 TV, coffee machine, microwave, fridge, kitchenette, dish washer, air extractor. Also in the bathroom (shower pressure is pretty good) they have wash and drier machines. They will provide you with powder and other implements in small amounts and, if you are not going to stay longer, they will be helpful. Very good lights in the bathroom, however parts of the room should have more lamps; the further desk from the door was literally dark as night, no reading light or any other option for that matter.
One thing on apparently every hotel in the area, they don’t have safe-deposit boxes, which for me is a security basic device every hotel should have…
Internet was free in the room as worked a little better than the other hotel I stayed at, the Franklin Suites. Air conditioning seemed difficult to manage. Sometimes I set the heat at full blast and it was still cold (outside only -17; would not like to imagine a -40 temperature)
They have a small Jacuzzi and only one treadmill, which was always occupied.
Topic restaurant: what a lie. There is no restaurant, just a place where they have a couple of finger food options. Continental breakfast is ok (but not fancy in any way, just basic)
Staff was ok. Not friendly, not rude either. I appreciated however, that having arrived at 1PM and being the check in at 3PM, they let me do it at 2PM. In any way, it happened when I told them I had just arrived from a 30 hour journey, did not come naturally from them, which happens in other cases (remember Rome’s hotel hospitality and comparing this is so frustrating and poor).
Still if you have no choice than to stay in a Fort hotel, I would say this is it. Cannot add “enjoy” though… good luck :)

Room Tip: Try rooms not close to ice machines and in higher floors. If you have trouble with highway car noise...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Katris
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Thank you for your most valuable feed back. Obviously we have just barely met your expecations which do not meet our standards as we hope all our guests receive from our Team Members an above at par "great experience". This will be discussed with all concerned.
I have reviewed your comments and will work with our Chief Engineer to improve lighting and Heat/cold concerns related to your particular assigned room. We are in the process to finalyze a Lease agreement to welcome in our Lounge a reputable restaurateur who will improve our food fare with important physical improvments to our existing food facility.
Rest assured, we do take your comments at great value for us to continously be the First Choice of Any Travellers coming to Fort McMurray. Jean-Marc Guillamot -General Manager.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

I have stayed here about 10 times and find the hotel to be great. THey have often called to see if I can check in early, they have allowed late stays. And they try to help me with whatever I may need, like storing luggage, etc. The hotel is clean, and has great wi-fi (very strong signal). Breakfast isn't amazing but is perfectly fine. Given how busy Fort McMurray is I find this to be a great choice.

Room Tip: the suites are great, but I haven't stayed in a bad room so far
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Kajillion
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Thank you for your most valuable feed back. We appreciate your positive comments which will be passed on to the entire Team. I have noticed we did not meet your expectations with our daily Breakfast Fare but rest assured we will adress this matter most urgently and work with our Corporate Food & Beverage Team to improve this important part of our Guest's experience.
We hope yo be your continuous first choice of accommodation when travelling to Fort McMurray. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed in the suite on Sunday night. Was very impressed with the room and all it had to offer.The bed and the pillows were so comfortable. It was clean. If I go back I will definately stay here again. Definately recommended. Very comfortable for long term stay. Loved the size of the suite.

Room Tip: Pick the King size suite
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank erinanne7
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Thank you for your most valuable feed back on your most recent stay. I will certainly pass on your comments to the entire Team! We appreciate your on going support and looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Fort McMurray.
Jean-Marc Guillamot -General Manager

Reviewed 13 May 2011

-In suite laundry ; full kitchen ; large living space ; cozy fireplace on cold nights ;balcony to relaxe on ; downtown location ; staff friendly and knowlegeable ; Management is top of the line. I have patronized this hotel for the last 6 years and wheather it has been for 1 night or long term it is a great place you can call home.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank clearwater53
JeanMarcGuillamot, Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

We appreciate greatly your on going support and rest assure your comments will be passed on to all concerned. We hope to welcome you back in the foreseable future and your next visit to be once again most enjoyable. Best Regards,
Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager

Reviewed 27 April 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at the Clearwater Hotel. Good hotels in Fort McMurray are scarce and this hotel is one of the few exceptions. The location, rooms, staff & overall experience was great. I wish the rate could have been a little lower but I think next time I'll just book online for a cheaper rate.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Mel_O321
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

Thank you for your most recent comments which I will forward to all concerned. We are monitoring closely on a daily basis rate parity at Front Desk and on all booking channels and obviously can do a more accurate follow up on this issue as you suggested. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the most foreseable future.Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.

Reviewed 11 February 2011

Our organization has used this hotel for 2 years now and we have had excellent service, the staff are Awsomme and the rooms are clean and open. We use the conference rooms and have had great service from Micheal who is one of the banquet staff members. There is allways a welcome feeling especially from the Front Office Supervisor Alexandra who has a knack for turning a frown upside down, great job Alex. I would recomend this hotel to anyone.

Scott Jacobs