“Wish I'd Stayed Elsewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles

Clearwater Suite Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Fort McMurray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Wish I'd Stayed Elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Although the room was clean, I found this hotel to have the most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered. I wanted to check OUT before I had even finished the onerous check IN routine. The so called breakfast buffet was horrible & each day I was asked at least three times if I had "paid" for breakfast with my coupon. I did not appreciate the exorbitant "damage deposit". Overheard many other unhappy guests at the front desk. Much nicer hotels available in Fort Mac.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest. On my behalf and our entire Team, I am sincerely sorry your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. As highlighted in various other guests comments, we certainly strive to achieve the highest level of hospitality through our entire Team. I will stress once again through our daily check in training to our Team the fact of the "Damage Deposit" which should not be perceived as such but rather understood as a "hold" on a credit card as it is custommary through any Hotel Check In processes. I will as well pass on your comments on our Lessee to be most courteous and diplomatic when asking proof of residency in our property for the benefit of their own internal control. I thank you for taking the time to post these constructive comments and rest assured they will be adressed with all concerned. We would hope this last visit will not deter you to give us a second chance to make the "right First Impression" on yourself and other guests. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

i was already in awe of this place the minute i walked in since the service was soooo good....they really made sure that everything's in place which made me feel sooo welcome..my room is polished and right for my taste,elegantly designed,smells soooo clean.and i can do my laundry in my own room!!!how's that for a hotel room!???and oh my god,i love the spa!!!can't wait to go back and try that one again.
the hotel is also very accessible to all the happenings at Ft Mc,foodtrips,bars and all..:)
this place definitely tops my list as one of the best hotels not only in ft mc but the whole of Alberta :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest (s). Thank you for your most valuable feedback following your recent sojourn with us. Our hard working Team will be thrilled to receive your most positive feedback and you can rest assured they are most appreciative of your comments. We hope to welcome you once again in our property in the most foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Aside from the professional and friendly staff, our room was very clean. It also had all the amenities we needed, and then some. There was a laundry machine and dryer, right in our room! The front desk people were always nice and helpful. The downtown location is a definite plus, especially for a very small town. Thank you for making my stay in Ft. Mac an enjoyable one!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guests.Thank you for taking the time to send us a quick note on your most recent stay. Our location and amenities are certainly very much appreciated but more important, our Team appreciate greatly your patronage and on going support. We are looking forward to your next visit in Fort McMurray.
Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Me and my husband usually stayed in the hotels for a getaway.. so we stayed at different places this time at Clearwater Suite Hotel. Staff was so friendly and very accommodating and asked us if everything are in order with the room and amenities? What a fantastic hotel, our room was wonderful! Interior is elegantly designed , spacious and perfectly clean and tidy. Very accessible to all famous restaurants and walking distance to bars.. I would highly recommend this place , no. 1 in Fort Mc. They have a Spa which we missed , need to call for appointment and guest can avail a discount. Next time, we'll come back here so we will pamper ourselves for a massage.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest (s). Thank you for your most valuable feed back. We will certainly passed your positive comments to our entire team. Our Spa Team stand ready to welcome you and offer you a most well deserved relaxing experience. We are looking forward to your next visit in our property.
Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Not sure what this Mi M is talking about.. I've stayed at this hotel practically every week over the last year for business. I've never seen a beetle in any of the rooms at any time anywhere.. lol.. maybe he was smoking some "good" stuff =P
I'm sure it's the cleanest hotel in Ft. McMurray. I've stayed at the Sawridge, which is supposedly the best rated hotel in Ft. Mac.. I beg to differ. In my opinion, the two just don't compare.. I used to stay at the Sawridge, but after staying at the Clearwater once, I changed hotels as much as I could until my company would allow us to stay there regularly. The rooms are much cleaner and have a full sized fridge, dishwasher, washer, dryer, and a 2 burner built in stove top as well as gas fireplaces in every room; did I mention they even have dishes in the cupboards and central a/c in every room? The king rooms have a "separate" room for the king size bed with a tv ensuite.. and those king beds are more comfortable than my bed at home; they're great! Their wi-fi is also one of the best I've ever experienced... it's always up, the connection is strong and the surfing is as good as it is at my home(my service at home is 25 Mb/sec). The only advantage the Sawridge has is the free breakfast buffet, however, it's much further from the downtown core and the restaurant food there is way overpriced imho. Clearwater has a complimentary breakfast as well, it's just your standard holiday inn express style though. It's the only real downside of this hotel.
As for the hotel staff, they were always very friendly, professional, and great to talk to! They're only a phone call away and will tend to your needs promptly, should you actually require anything. I'm going to miss the front desk girls though since I won't be up there nearly as often now since I may be changing jobs right away. Never once had a 45 minute check-in time like I had at the "other" place. I was always treated like I was flying first class at the front desk and the rooms feel the same way. If you're worried about highway noise as somebody else had mentioned, request a room on the east side and you should be fine. The highway is by the west side of the hotel, although I personally didn't notice it being all that bad unless your windows are open of course. I've always slept like a baby here. All in all, you won't be disappointed if you stay here.
Sorry, I cannot comment on the spa since I've never used it.... I almost always work late and have no time to enjoy anything afterwards.. except maybe a beer or two in the lounge ;)

Room Tip: I recommend the King rooms if they're available.. for an extra $20 or so, you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew D
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your most valuable feed back. We will pass on your comments to Team Leaders and Team Members and we sincerely appreciate your on going support. We are looking forward to your next visit in our property-Jean-Marc Guillamot General Manager.
Greensboro, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I travel a lot for business, and am currently planning a trip to Fort McMurray. I was shocked to find out when I called reservations that the Clearwater authorizes over $400 per night as a damage deposit. I would understand if they authorized an additional $400 per STAY, but for 3 nights they were going to authorize over $1200!

To the Clearwater, thanks for alerting me to this before I booked. From the way it came across, this isn't something that is normally mentioned, and I would have been irate if I found out later on.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest. I sincerely thank you for passing on your constructive comment on our policies. I must apologyze on behalf of our our Front Desk Associate who should have actually qualified this amount as being a "Hold Pre Authaurization" on your Credit Card as is the norm in the industry. Being in the "Heart" of the Oil Sands Industry, we do host on a regular basis many projects crews who may have their reservations booked by their company but are quite surprised upon check in as having a "hold" on their credit card for incidentals and damage deposit. Your "Hold" on your Credit Card would have represented a total of 3 nights accommodations and a damage and "incidentals" deposit. I will stress to our agents the proper "delivery message" on this sensitive issue. We are looking forward to your visit. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Over tha past two years I have stayed more than 200 nights at this hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for value, comfort, and a professional staff. The hotel is central to downtown and is walking distance to several good restaurants in most weather conditions. I am a professional who expects quality and cleanliness. My wife has stayed on several occasions feels safe and enjoys the on-site Spa and Massages. I have found the hotel to be generally quiet even thought it is just off the highway. Every room includes a in-room washer and dryer combination which really simplies longer stays.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael-584420
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for sharing with us your most recent experience while sejorning in Fort McMurray. Rest assured, we have passed you comments to all concerned within our property.
We hope to be once again in the future be your first choice of accommodation when travelling in our region. General Manager Jean-Marc Guillamot.