“a reliable, clean stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“a reliable, clean stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed here for a night while on work. Really great, polite staff.
Staff went out of their way to give me directions for my morning meeting. Centreally located, and in walking distance to most things that one might want or need to walk to (for a place like this, it's most likely a franchise restaurant).
Clean, reliable digs. Consistent wifi coverage indoors. The airconditioner made a weird hydraulic sound through the night. The cleaning stuff they used made the tiled floors sticky, but no complaints other than that.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your comments and we appreciate your feed back and recommendations. I will adress with Housekeeping and our purchasing department the issue of the cleaning product used and we will certainly correct this concern immediately. I will as well discuss the Air Conditionning issue with our Maintenance Manager. We especially installed a centralized A/C to reduce noise opposed to the reguar windows A/C Heat most hotels commonly have and likely a pipe may have gotten loose with time and caused this unfortunate "rattle". Rest assured, this will be corrected immediately! We hope to count you among our guests once again on your next visit while travelling to our city in the foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Okanagan Valley, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I recently stayed in the Timberlea location of this hotel. The Timberlea location is the monthly-stay building run by the same staff. The suites were new, clean, and well-furnished. The manager was organized, on-time, and friendly. The housekeeping staff are good, but the schedule seems to change often. Sometimes cleaning is missed or at odd times.

The bedrooms are decent, but let in a great deal of light and noise at night. There are metal blinds, but no curtains to block out the sun in the summertime or during shift work. Also, the building is wood-framed, and is on a larger, loud street.

Many of the amenities are still being installed, such as the wi-fi. There is no gym or business centre on-site, and I often had to go to staples downtown to get documents scanned and printed. If you require access to a gym and business centre, make sure to book into the downtown building rather than Timberlea. There is also no breakfast or daily housekeeping (housekeeping is twice a week). If you are depending on a service that seen advertised by the Clearwater Suite Hotel, be aware that most of these amenities are not offered in the Timberlea building.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest. Thank you for your most constructive comments on your recent stay at our new addition to our portfolio of Hotels in FortMcMurray. This Condo Hotel Rezidence under our Management since June 1st, is intentionaly set up as a Long Term Stay Type of Condos. But we will stress both on our Web site and upon check in what services it entails. We have adressed the Blind lack of Black Curtains and our designer is presently looking in this matter and we will be looking to get a "preffered Guest Program" through a Gym located 5mn walk from this property. I will stress through internal and external communication the difference between both "Clearwater" and I thank you for your feed back and recommendations. We hope you still be using our Hotels whenever you are planning your next visit in our region. Jean-Marc Guillamot
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Clearwater Suite Hotel is the place to be while you are in Fort Mcmurray. Had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay in this hotel for 2 nights. The place is very clean and well-kept. The staff especially those in the front desk were so friendly and accommodating. Their warm smile and greetings surely made me so welcome. I would definitely stay on this hotel in my succeeding trips.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest, Thank you for your comments passed on to us and rest assured, I will share these vey kind words with all concerned. We certainly hope to see you on your next visit in our region. Safe travels! Jean-Marc Guillamot General Manager.
Humboldt, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

While this hotel was very clean and apparently well-kept, there is considerable disorganization on staff. I booked a three-night stay back in February and in June called to add another night to our stay. I was told that four nights was not a problem, even though our arrival would be very late. I made sure to impress upon the desk clerk that we had a late flight and would be arriving after midnight and was assured that they would be prepared for our late arrival. When we got to the hotel at 1:25 a.m., the desk clerk looked at us somewhat sternly and said she was not expecting any more arrivals that night. I told her our names and she shook her head, then checked her computer and said there was no reservation under that name. At all. I showed her our confirmation email, she checked the booking number and told us, "That reservation was cancelled." I asked her how a reservation could go from a confirmed four nights to being cancelled outright. She just shrugged.
She then said that she could re-book us in for the three remaining nights, but that there was nothing available that night. She then offered to find us another hotel for the night. She called a number of hotels before finding us a room and said she'd tell the manager about the situation. There was no offer of picking up the fare for another cab ride, and no mention of any sort of deal because of the trouble we'd been put through. The hotel where we stayed was considerably more expensive that night than it would have been at the Clearwater, and no mention was made of picking up the difference. We thought that the manager would have given us some sort of discount, but it didn't happen.
When we checked in the next day, the manager was apologetic but that's it.
The day before we left, we booked, through the front desk, the airport limousine service for a ride to the airport at 7:30 the next morning. After a 10-minute wait we talked to the desk clerk who said he'd call again. At 7:45 the cab arrived, and the driver apologized for being late, saying he had been told the wrong hotel. In that case, we are not sure who was at fault, but our experience at this hotel was that one must confirm, and confirm again, any reservations one may have.
The breakfasts, which are included with the cost of the room, are fairly meagre, though the scrambled eggs on Friday morning were fairly good. Sunday morning was packaged waffles, french toast (I think), small croissants and regular bread, bagels and packaged muffins. There was also a bowl of fresh watermelon and cantaloupe, which was most welcome. The coffee (Seattle's Best) was very good.
The hotel is clean, the bed comfortable, our stay was quiet, and we enjoyed the tiny balconies that appear to be a feature of each room. That was welcome, especially since it was plus 28-30 degrees the three days we were in Fort McMurray. The Clearwater is right next door to a Montana's, and across the parking lot from a small shopping mall, Superstore and liquor store. My husband and I recommend the hotel, but we were extremely displeased with the way our mishap was handled.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
JeanMarcGuillamot, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Dear Guest; I am sincerely sorry about this recent experience you had with your recent booking and stay with us. We have "dropped the Ball" and no valid excuses are to be forwarded to you from myself except to let you know we have taken immediate corrective steps in our internal communications upon check ins and records of cancellations. I understand you have been contacted by our Operation manager who dealt with this unfortunate situation and made appropriate reimbursment and based on what was communicated to me, I am to conclude we have hopefully regained some trust in our organization. Nevertheless, we have taken your comments most seriously with all concerned and proper follow ups have been initiated to insure no similar situation would happen to any of our guests. I am hoping we have not detered you to give us a second chance and we hope to count you as one of guests in the most foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot -General Manager
La Paz, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have been staying 3 nights/wk since Fall/2011 and continue to find the staff very pleasant and accommodating. Free breakfast and free wi-fi are provided. Gym facilities could be enhanced, but the basics are there and in working order. The rooms are comfy and it's nice to have the full kitchen and a separate bedroom. Hallway carpets recently redone which helped the overall atmosphere. Some of the rooms need a splash of paint, but they are always clean and the housekeeping staff is very attentive.

Room Tip: Front of hotel faces the highway but the soundproofing is good, but ask for a room further from the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest; Thank you for taking time to give us your most valuable feed back on your most recent stay with us. I will pass on to our Team your positive comments as I will to our Maintenance Manager. We do have an on going internal "Room and Public Spaces" painting program and rest assured we will adress these comments with all concerned. We hope to have the pleasure to be once again in the most foreseable future your first choice of Accomodation while sejorning in our city. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Although the room was clean, I found this hotel to have the most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered. I wanted to check OUT before I had even finished the onerous check IN routine. The so called breakfast buffet was horrible & each day I was asked at least three times if I had "paid" for breakfast with my coupon. I did not appreciate the exorbitant "damage deposit". Overheard many other unhappy guests at the front desk. Much nicer hotels available in Fort Mac.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest. On my behalf and our entire Team, I am sincerely sorry your most recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. As highlighted in various other guests comments, we certainly strive to achieve the highest level of hospitality through our entire Team. I will stress once again through our daily check in training to our Team the fact of the "Damage Deposit" which should not be perceived as such but rather understood as a "hold" on a credit card as it is custommary through any Hotel Check In processes. I will as well pass on your comments on our Lessee to be most courteous and diplomatic when asking proof of residency in our property for the benefit of their own internal control. I thank you for taking the time to post these constructive comments and rest assured they will be adressed with all concerned. We would hope this last visit will not deter you to give us a second chance to make the "right First Impression" on yourself and other guests. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

i was already in awe of this place the minute i walked in since the service was soooo good....they really made sure that everything's in place which made me feel sooo welcome..my room is polished and right for my taste,elegantly designed,smells soooo clean.and i can do my laundry in my own room!!!how's that for a hotel room!???and oh my god,i love the spa!!!can't wait to go back and try that one again.
the hotel is also very accessible to all the happenings at Ft Mc,foodtrips,bars and all..:)
this place definitely tops my list as one of the best hotels not only in ft mc but the whole of Alberta :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest (s). Thank you for your most valuable feedback following your recent sojourn with us. Our hard working Team will be thrilled to receive your most positive feedback and you can rest assured they are most appreciative of your comments. We hope to welcome you once again in our property in the most foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager