“Spacious suite, convenient location, disapointing breakfast”

Clearwater Suite Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Fort McMurray
GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Albert, Canada
“Spacious suite, convenient location, disapointing breakfast”
Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Clearwater Inn one evening while traveling on business. Apparently the policy has just changed, so stays must now be a minimum of 3 nights.

The room was clean and spacious, and well appointed for a longer stay. My room, and my coworkers, both had jacuzzi tubs but neither worked. Still, nice to have a larger tub. The double beds in the room had nice soft sheets but the beds seemed tiny compared to the usual queen sized.

It was nice to have access to the gym, it was sufficient but small. The location near Superstore was very handy - however I wouldn't feel comfortable venturing far from the hotel after dark. Our room key entitled us to 10% off at the very conveniently located "Montana's". There appears to be a strip club also very conveniently located if one is into that.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful with the noticeable exception of the person working in the breakfast room. She was less than friendly and the breakfast disappointing.

Still, a very nice hotel - just go elsewhere for breakfast!

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Dear Guest; We sincerely appreciate your recent review which I passed on to our Team. We thank you for giving us your comments on your recent over all positive guest's experience! In very busy times, as our hotel being a long term stay suite which is in high demand we give a priority to extended stays requests as we manage 6 others properties ( www.fortmcmurrayhotels.ca) in the Market offering as well traditional Corporate Hotels type of accommodations to our guests. This allow us to maximize occupancy to specific room types within our group. But foremost we will accommodate any requests of hotels or lenght of stays to our guests for any of our properties.We hope this explanation will confirm your on going support for your next visit in our region to the Clearwater Suite Hotels or any of our other properties in town.Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2013

In reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I picked the Clearwater Suites as my hotel of choice for when I went on a last minute work trip to Fort McMurray. Located conveniently off the highway and in the middle of ‘downtown’, location wise the hotel was great.

Previous reviews suggested staying on a higher floor for less noise, and as I am a light sleeper, I made the request when I checked in. The hotel staff was awesome; fun, professional, yet not afraid to joke around with us. I got a room on the 4th floor (top floor) and it was quiet and I had no concerns. I was facing the parking lot, and the other side of the hotel faces the highway, which must have been more noisy.

The room was very spacious, full and very functional kitchenette (stove top, full fridge, dishwasher), living room space, and balcony. The washroom was nice and large, and even has a washer and dryer in the corner, as well as a big tub/shower combo. The tub had Jacuzzi jets, and I will say I was rather disappointed to learn that they did not work. Additionally, the hot tub and sauna were not in order while I was there, but to the hotels credit, they did tell us right when we checked in.

Bed was nice and comfy, and really good internet access. We went for dinner / drinks in the hotel bar on our first night in town and it was decent enough… Small, but with a few TV’s and cheap food and drinks. All in all, I had a great stay and would 100% recommend it to anyone coming to Fort Mac. The large rooms and super friendly and helpful staff make it a stand out amongst other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the parking lot (much less noisy)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Tash
Dear Guest; Thank youi so much for passing on your most valuable comments on your recent stay. With snow finally clearing we will endeavour to fix the Hot Tub area which had serious damages in the roof caused by Mother nature in early winter. Jacuzzi tubs in rooms will be as well addressed shortly. We are continuously proud of our Team in dedicating excellent guest's relationship appreciating a balanced approach in welcoming our guests after a long trip all the way up North of Alberta! We thank you for your visit and hope to see you once again in the foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot -General Manager
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I found the Clearwater to be an excellent place to stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and very clean. The hotel was very quiet which contributed to a restful and relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest; Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to send us a comment on your most recent stay. Our Team will continue to wok harder in excelling in "guest's expectations" and on theri behalf I thank you for passing on this response. We are most appreciative of your support. Hope we will see you soon once again in the nearest future! Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This is a phenomenal place to stay in Ft. McMurray. Beyond our expectations. We stayed in the King family suite. It is brand new, has a full kitchen, separate bedroom, living room with fireplace and balcony and in-suite laundry. We are impressed with the level of service and hospitality of the staff. After confusion with an online offer I had found, they were quick to investigate and honoured the discount. The location is perfect- next to lots of restaurants and the mall. Just a short drive to the Syncrude Aquatic Centre which is fantastic for the kids (and adults!).
Complaints - the price, but what can you expect for Fort McMurray.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest; Thank you for your most valuable comment and we passed along to our Team your overall postitive experience. We are sincerely very appreciative of your comment on pricing and indeed the cost of running a hotel or any other businesses in our area is tremendously more expensive for various unique local economic factors. But nevertheless we hope this will not deter you to come back to our region and stay with us on your next trip to our fair city. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I have been staying at the Clearwater Suite Hotel for a few years now for business. The front desk staff, housekeeping and maintenance staff are all exceptionally friendly, helpful, respectful and eagerly waiting with a smile and welcome. The rooms are clean, quiet and have kitchenettes and balconies. This will continue to be my hotel choice while in the Fort McMurray area.

The only exceptionally negative aspect to my stay is the breakfast in the morning. The choices are few with cereal, over cooked eggs, undercooked bacon or sausage and a very unwelcoming and rude lady that manages it. Food or drink is forbidden to leave the room which makes no sense if I want to enjoy my breakfast in the privacy of my room while I prepare for the day. If the hotel fixed this issue, I would certainly not hesitate to rate it a 5.

Room Tip: I have found all rooms that I have stayed in to be quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank teeth-on-fork
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Guests. We thank you for your most positive comments on our Team Hospitality and level of comfort but we are disappointing your stay was not on a level 5 due to our leased operation serving Breakfast in our facility. I will definetly pass on the comments to the operator who hopefully will adress this unfortunate repetitive issue in the Breakfast area. We will continue to work diligently in resolving all concerns our guests do kindly submit to us and we thank you for your on going support. Looking forward to your next visit. Jean-Marc Guillamot - General Manager
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The suites are made for longer stays where you can bring in your own groceries and eat breakfast in (since the continental breakfast downstairs is not satisfying - just bad coffee and toast and bagels. The rooms are noisy, unless you're on the top floor. The staff are earnest, but the "business centre" is a nightmare - do not expect to use it effectively or at all. The suites are well equipped with closets, household items, and the full kitchen. There is NO room service. Wifi is good. Location is good - but most would have a vehicle, so you can get around easily. It is a very short walk to the Superstore. Good choice overall for FM.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your most valuable feedback. We are sorry your Breakfast experience was not up to par to the rest of your stay. I will certainly pass your comments to the Leased operator of the Lounge/Breafast area. We are continuoulsly striving to satisfy all of our guests concerns and your comments are extremely helpful in our quest to maintain the highest level os hospitality in Fort McMurray. We hope to welcome you back in the most foreseable future. Jean-Marc Guillamot-General Manager.
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I recently spent 10 days at the Clearwater and was impressed with the personal service of all the staff. The staff remembers your name and are extremely helpful. The suites have everything you would need for an extended stay, the washer and dryer are definite assets. I would recommend the Clearwater to anyone that has an extended stay in Fort McMurray. The superstore is just across the road.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Jean-Marc G, General Manager at Clearwater Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for forwarding your most recent experience while staying with us most recently. We sincerely appreciate your feed back and our Team takes great pride in being as much as possible most hospitable while away from Home. We are looking forward to be your first choice of accomodation when your future travels bring you back in our region. Jean-Marc Guillamot