“I wouldn't stay again if it were free”

Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Grande Prairie
Fort St. John, Canada
“I wouldn't stay again if it were free”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Upon arrival, stopping out front to check in we found about a dozen people to the left of the entrance at the smoking area outside the bar at hotel and another half dozen or so to the right outside the Dennys.Nasty to navigate for those who don't smoke or have young kids as we did. Inside we found a barefoot homeless girl laying on a love seat in the lobby, who after checking in asked my wife and I if we had a smoke she could borrow. We were put in room 101. As soon as we got to the room my grandson needed the potty.The rim, front of toilet and floor were covered in dried urine. Night manager gave us a different room.The Denny s restaurant was on a par with the hotel, Burnt chicken for my grandson, my meal did not come as ordered and my wife is still waiting for her salad dressing after asking twice. The urine on the floor left us feeling as though nothing was probably cleaned properly. When three people book and pay for a suite perhaps 3 towels facecloths and hand towels would be a novel idea.

Room Tip: Stay at the Podollan.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank al h
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at our property. I am sorry it was not to your satisfaction as we do take pride in our guest experience. Our staff did move you into a different room to address the dissatisfaction with your first room. If you had advised the desk staff that you required addition towels, they would have been able to tell you that extras are available under the sink and/or deliver the required towels to your room. Unfortunately the issue of smokers outside the building and bar is beyond our control and I certainly agree that it is not pleasant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel and glad it was just one night. The check in was quick and the employee was very friendly. Getting off the elevator on my floor, it felt like a sauna. In the room, it was the same! The wall thermostat was over 20 which I turned down and found a instructions by the AC on how to cool the room. I turned it on to a low temperature and after returning an hour later, I still found it too warm in the room.

The room and furniture is outdated as others have said. The comforter reminded my of the 70s and there were knicks on the dresser and closet. It would have been great if there was a mini fridge but no such luck. With the AC being so loud I didn't sleep with it on and didn't have the covers on me. The sleep was decent until 3:30AM when the rumble and whistle of the train woke me up. Try to ask for a room that doesn't face the train tracks but I don't know if that would help.

The wifi isn't reliable but there's a computer in the business centre that you can also print from. There's also a fitness centre on the first floor by the elevators. There's a Denny's and a bar on site but there's also a few restaurants around such as Wendy's and Subway. The location is great and convenient to walk to most places I had to get to. The evening front desk employee was very friendly and helpful too.

Not sure I would stay here again if there are other hotels in the downtown area to choose from.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the train tracks
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your time and feedback is much appreciated. I am sorry you encountered issues with the room heat during your stay, and unfortunately the train and train tracks are beyond our control. They are not used that often, but obviously the timing was wrong for your stay.
It is great to hear the positive feedback regarding the staff, we take pride in the level of customer service offered, and it is nice to hear they were up to standards.
I do hope you consider us for your next visit to Grande Prairie.
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

The rooms are dirty and seem really old...not been updated at all. Carpet is dirty, bathroom lights flicker. The only good thing was the coffee. Oh ya...tried to take a shower this morning and there's not a drop of hot water! I'll update this review once the front desk lets us know what the General Manager is going to do about this.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Icepinkiesnow
gm_grandeprairie, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the review of your stay with Sandman Hotel Grande Prairie. We did have an unfortunate incident with our boiler system, and truly do appreciate the understanding and patience of our guests. We addressed the issue immediately and the part was ordered and has since been repaired. I know this doesn't help with your recent stay, and I do apologize for that. We continue to update our rooms, with specific areas done each year. We have recently completed the flatscreen TVs for each room and have also started a duvet program. As with any major undertaking, it all takes time. Looking to the future we will be adding more duvets, and some new carpeting has recently been installed in some areas, with more to come in near future.
I hope you won't let this past stay deter you from staying with us in the future, as the situation was truly unfortunate on all levels and beyond our control. I take pride in our property and the level of professionalism of my staff. They did the best they could with the situation.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel is showing its age, Bed and furniture are quite old, and the bed sagged enough that my wife and I rolled toward the center a few times in the night. For the price of the room we feel that we paid mostly for the location, and the Sandman name. The staff was friendly and very helpful in the morning. We stayed at the hotel on January 20 2014. We also found the sink drain in the washroom to be almost plugged, so we passed the info on to the staff in the morning. The biggest effect on our sleep was train noise, as the hotel is located right next to an East-West spur track that had trains using it a few times throughout the night and they were blowing their whistles a lot. Even though this is not the hotels fault, it is a reason we feel the price is too much when there is factors that disturbed our stay.
Harvey M

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side may be quieter, being away from the train tracks. Higher floors may be quiet...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Some observations from my stay:
- Located close to train crossing so the train whistle is loud and frequent
- Ran out of hot water in the shower which also happened to a coworker the previous morning
- My "non-smoking" room reeked of smoke and had cigarette burns in the carpet

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CalgaryTim
Beaverlodge, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

Spent one night so we could go to husbands Christmas party.Was nice we could check in about a hour earlier than their 4 o'clock check in time.We were in a smoking room as I am a smoker but their air freshener or cleaner was such a strong smell we had to open the window for some fresh air and when we opened curtains there were 4 beer sitting in the window from the previous guests.Also the bathroom light flickered so bad you couldn't be in there long because it was a great start to a headache.Beds are VERY hard and we wound up checking out by 7:30 just so we could get home to our own bed.Staff was very pleasant.We didn't bother mentioning any of our issues as we were only there for one night and left so early it wasn't worth our time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel about 15-20 nights in the last 3 years or so. I book it because I travel for work and our office is conveniently located across the parking lot. That being said, I’ve stayed in many rooms in this hotel and they all have one thing in common – outdated. The furniture is old and it is showing. The sofas and chairs have stains on them and it’s very unappealing. The carpets are stained and there is an odd smell in the rooms. Can’t tell you what exactly – could be old smoke, mold or who knows what. After the first few stays I made sure to always pack a travel size bottle of Febreeze – it makes a world of difference. Most staff is friendly, although I’ve had an incident with a vending machine eating coins and not giving out the water bottles and when I let reception know about it she was rather rude. Beds are decent – not the most comfortable but not the worst by a long shot.
My last stay was Nov. 14-16. I checked in and had a corner room on the top floor – room was spacious enough and it had a mini fridge which helps when staying for a few days. The first night happened to be very cold and extremely windy – the wind was blowing in through the air conditioner in the wall! Can’t say I’ve had that happen before -turned the heat on but it didn’t warm up quick enough so I layered clothes on and went to bed. A piece of eavestrough was broken and barely hanging on and it kept hitting the wall throughout the night making it difficult to fall and stay asleep.
The next morning I decided to use my “free” stay. If you stay 12 nights you get the 13th free. I checked out and checked back in – I was upgraded to another room on the fourth floor. The room was huge – had a kitchenette, living room, king bed and a Jacuzzi. I was informed that sometimes the Jacuzzi blows the breaker and if that happens I was told what to do to fix it. After a long day of work I was looking forward to a soak in the Jacuzzi tub. I turned it on - nothing happened. Tried the fix I was told about earlier – nothing. Phoned the front desk and told them about it – the receptionist apologized and said there is no one available to fix it and that’s that. There was no offer to move me to another room that had a functioning Jacuzzi. Needless to say, as thrilled as I was with the upgrade to the lovely room I was just as disappointed when the Jacuzzi, which was the highlight of the room did not work. To add salt to injury, as I was leaving the suite the next morning, the housekeeping staff was on the floor and asked how my stay was – I answered them and mentioned that the Jacuzzi did not work which was disappointing. They (2 women) both knew this was an ongoing issue and were surprised that it wasn’t yet fixed. When I checked out the front desk staff asked the same question and I gave the same answer – she asked if I was given the option to switch rooms to which I said no, because when I phoned to complain about the Jacuzzi not working the girl apologized but did not offer any options.
Bottom line – this is not the best or worst hotel I’ve stayed at. It is conveniently located however it would be nice to make a few improvements to make it more appealing: furniture and carpets need to be replaced (at least in the rooms I’ve stayed in with the exception of the last one, and please fix/upgrade/boost the Wi-Fi because it’s iffy at best.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business