“Heavenly! A quiet, blissful retreat.”
Review of Tekarra Lodge

Tekarra Lodge
Edmonton, Alberta
“Heavenly! A quiet, blissful retreat.”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

If you are looking for a place to unwind, get away from reality for awhile, this is the place. No phones, no TV, no internet (for now, I guess they are getting wi-fi soon). Just the birds, squirrels and the occasional bugling of the elk. All you need is a good book, maybe a deck of cards to keep you occupied in the evenings while you sit in front of the wood burning fire place.
Every cabin is unique, some very small, to family sized and in between. They are all very cozy and quaint. Don't forget, these places were originally built in the 1940's, so don't expect luxury here. Yes, the bathrooms are small, the kitchens are small and need some updating. They are clean, and really, what all do you need? They all have the bare necessities. Towels, soaps, coffee maker and coffee, pots, pans, cork screws.
If you need something, the staff try to accommodate. They are helpful, courteous and will leave you alone when you want them to. When I stay there, I usually have the "do not disturb" sign on the door. I go down to the office and ask for stuff if I need it. The only thing I complained about was the use of deodorizer in the room. It was a bit much. I just opened all of the windows and all was good. I told the front desk ( Lisa and Stephanie are awesome! ) about it when we were leaving and she said she would pass that on.
If you are staying for awhile, there is a couple of grocery stores in town. The town of Jasper hes everything you need. Just a 5 minute drive, or if you need a good walk, takes about 10 or 15 minutes. Watch out for the wild life!!! ( no, seriously, really watch out! )
We are lucky enough to live close to Jasper ( 4 hour drive) so we often bring the little extras that we feel we need. Like a better no stick frying pan and maybe a few better cooking tools. We also bring a little stereo to play cd's because there really isn't great radio reception. But again, I have to say, even if you can't bring anything with you but your clothes, you will do just fine. You are in the mountains, people! Go outside. There are plenty of trails to take in around Tekarra. And there are plenty of the most spectacular drives in any direction.
I love this place so much. I have been coming here most of my life, and have never been disappointed. But then again I know what I'm getting. If you're looking for 5 star accommodations, go to Jasper Park Lodge or perhaps just stay home.

Side note: The Tekarra restaurant on sight is excellent!! A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. You don't even have to dress up! Just no baseball caps or tank tops. We were there on the last week that it stays open and they sell off there wine list at half price. Good deal!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissMimi11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My wife and I live in Edmonton (4 hours drive) and have been to Tekarra many times. We have stayed in lots of different cabins. One of the things we love is that no two are alike in every detail, and every cabin has unique charm. The cabins are small and cozy and have everything you need to enjoy a rustic time in the mountains:

- a furnace that gets plenty hot

- hot water, a shower

- a kitchen(ette)

- some minimal furnishings

- a real wood-burning fireplace

- electrical outlets, good for a cd player or radio

- a lamp, for reading books as well as overhead lighting

- no tv, no phone, no internet - it's like being on vacation (though they say wifi is coming next year apparently - oh well, I just won't use it.... I hope)

The cabins and "main lodge" are located about a 5 minute drive outside of the town of Jasper so you're actually located in a beautiful, quiet location, at the top of cliff, intersecting a trail system where the Athabasca river meets the Miette river. A row of the cabins actually have a stunning view of this incredible vista, but my wife and I really don't think there is a bad cabin in the bunch.

If you happen to find yourself located next to rowdy yahoos, and don't want to stand up for your right to enjoy the sounds of nature rather than the sounds of drunken college kids spending their parent's money on alcohol and insurance claims, complain to the front desk. Either they'll take care of the problem directly, or offer you a nicer cabin, or both - the staff are great... assuming you're not a loud-mouthed and abusive jerk yourself.

By the way two tips by way of "you're in nature's back yard":

1. Elk are a lot bigger and a lost nastier than you are, particularly when they mate in the fall

2. Bear cubs are cute but if you see bear cubs get scared and look around for mom. Hope you don't find yourself between mom and her cubs

There are some peculiar "as chance would have it" details that make Tekarra a real gem as compared with the other "log cabin choices" in the area. Tekarra isn't cheaper, the cabins aren't outfitted with all the amenities of home... it's a log cabin in the mountains! You go out and drive to Maligne lake and take the boat ride, it's incredible - or you go sit by Athabasca falls, or you do something else - and at night you come back to Tekarra.

Here's what makes Tekarra special:

- amazing view - located where the Athabasca river meets the Miette river - chairs set up at this viewing spot - one of the amazing views the Jasper area has to offer

- a hiking trail goes off in two directions from the aforementioned view

- the walk into town is a short but brisk hike

- Tekarra Restaurant is located in the "main lodge" and just happens to be the best place to eat a meal (that you don't cook yourself, if you're a great chef yourself) in perhaps 100 miles in any direction, or more. They have great wines, or you can bring your own and pay a corkage fee, and you're "stumbling distance" from home and nobody has to drive.

I have read some alarmingly critical reviews of Tekarra on this site, and I don't get it. My wife go back over and over again and find the staff cheerful and helpful, and for a tourism-based city with high turnover, it's nice to deal with the same staff year after year, and have a consistent experience in terms of quality and value. Tekarra is not a five-star hotel with wait-staff that wear tuxedo's and who shine your shoes. On the other hand the restaurant would stand up to anything I have ever experienced in the city of Edmonton, and that's saying something (2,000+ of them here) and they still put construction paper on the tables, with a jar of crayons.

When I wanted to plan a special wedding anniversary for my wife and didn't really know anybody in Jasper, the staff at Tekarra helped me put together a really special experience, putting flowers and find, locally made truffles into the room before we arrived, and helped me find a personal chef so I could surprise her with a catered picnic lunch on the sixth bridge of the Maligne Canyon hike, and helped me find and co-ordinate with a jazz trio who waited in our cabin for us to return from an outing one morning.

Can anyone possibly ask for anything more? The staff are so friendly (I guess the key is to not start conversations by yelling at them) that they don't charge for providing this kind of help, and seem legitimately pleased to take part in making our stay a more enjoyable one. This year we brought them presents as a thank-you, both the front-desk staff, and the restaurant, and we just got back from another great stay today.

I have one suggestion to make - instead of calling Maclab to make your reservation as the official website suggests, look around for the actual telephone number for Tekarra (during their season, when they're open) and make your reservation with the staff on site there directly - the Maclab staff (the company that owns and operates this "Maclab Resort") are not really the people you want to make a reservation with, or discuss details with, like "how many beds in that room? does that cabin have a tub?" etc. They are not on site, they don't care, and it shows.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank couple_from_edmonton
South Wales
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Apart from the location the chalet bore no relation to various website descriptions. We were allocated Athabasca cabin 31. It was extremely dated, the furnishings and fittings were old and sub standard and the chalet reeked of disinfectant. The 'cobweb curtain' adorning a ply wood wall panel could hardly be described as 'wall art' but merely reflected the poor standard of house keeping which was evident in other areas of the property. We checked out after just one night of a six night booking following a semi heated exchange of words in protest at being asked to pay a cancellation fee which in the end was waived..

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Putt-putt09
vancouver
Reviewed 9 August 2009

My 2 friends and I stayed at the Tekarra Lodge in July for 3 nights in the Athabasca Cabin. The cabin was slightly smaller than I had anticipated, but was very comfortable. The cabin was clean. The beds were very nice. The lodge is about a 10 minute walk to Jasper town. There are deck chairs located on the river edge, and viewing the sunsets from there was awesome. You feel like you are in the wilderness, and yet you are very close to the town. Tekarra was reasonably priced and I would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank manderley
Edmonton
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We just returned home from a two night stay at Tekarra Lodge. We have been before and enjoyed the leisure time together to spend alone and get some relax time. As usual the cabins are what one would expect, rustic to say the least, but cozy. The views from the point are superb, a great place to read or just watch the rafts coming down the river, lots of walking trails, and the distance from other sights is reasonable. Plus a brisk walk into town is enjoyable as well. We do not have any real complaints about the lodge because we have been before, but we were placed in the middle of a wedding party and were surrounded by those that wanted to party. After meeting on older gentlemen who was very pleasant and asked if we would mind if he borrowed out picnic table, we thought, we aren't using it no problem. After super we went for a walk with our dog, and noted at that tie that the picnic table was gone. We left for about two hours. When we returned there were people sitting on our deck enjoying super and as we greeted them they got up said nothing, sorry, nothing and they left then we noted a chair was missing from the deck. We couldn't even relax with this mixed crowd all ages in our own area. So off we went again thinking that when we return our chair would be back and it would be quieter. Not! We retired to our cabin and they partied on until about 12:00. However then the party started on the other side of us in cabin 10... a group a mid 20's kept partying and yelling until about 02:00. Some how we got through the night. The next morning it was quiet and it appeared most were partied out, but of course wedding was in the after noon. We took a trip down to Athabasca Falls well worth the trip. That night around the cabin our chair located by myself and returned to our deck it was quiet. We walked into town and got a pizza at Lou Lou's and walked home," absolutely excellent" You have to try it! That night brought everyone back to the cabins, oh did I mention that the reek of “Dope" it was unbearable before the potheads left, now six or more hours later they still had a need to party and they continued to 04:00 hours, the only saving grace is it started to rain. I'm not sure if it is the next generation or just this group of degenerates who do not give a dam about anyone but themselves, because they are so self-centred and they are the only ones that are important. In nay event I'm sure they caused a lot of people to be annoyed unless they are terribly more sound sleepers than we were. Interesting enough when we checked out the girl at the counter didn't even ask how our stay was. I may be surmising but I'm thinking she had already been told. The part that stuck in my mind after I paid my bill was the fact we got charged a pet fee of $25.00 a night and he didn’t bark, pick a fight with any other dogs, he was picked up after and yet the animals next door got to do just what they felt like doing. It kind of ruined it for us, I'm still freeking tired after a four hour drive home and the dog only woke up twice before we got home, because I'm sure he didn't sleep all night either. My wife got a few hours sleep just prior to the animals coming home, and between dosing I totally mixed the idiots attached to our cabin, taking a shower at 2:00 a.m. Needless to say get a cabin not attached to the one you are staying in, pay a little more. Ask to be put further away from the party crowd, why they would have placed us in the middle of these "goofs" is beyond me.Take a chance the scenery is beautiful and hopefully don’t let the inconsiderate, interfere with your holiday. Cabin 11, August 09,2009 15:21hrs.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rwillie_53
Calgary
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We spent 5 nights in an Athabasca Cabin with our 10 yo and 13 yo boys and our Boston Terrier. Great place! The staff are very very friendly and very outgoing. Every request was met promptly and politely. Very nice staff members on site. The BBQ's are briquette style so you might want to bring your own coals or buy some in Jasper at one of the food stores. We ate at our cabin on 3 nights and then headed into town to Evil Daves (5 Stars - GREAT food) and to villa Caruso Steak House (3.5 Stars - Great Food...mediocre service and no A/C on a 28C day). The view from the Tekarra Lodge ridge is stunning. We stayed here originally 16 years ago on our honeymoon and decided to return as part of our summer holiday. The lodge is as good as ever. Just love it there. Great path access for mountain biking and/or hiking on the Jasper trails. Only downside is no evening firepit onsite, but that is really not a big deal. Avoid Cabin 21 as it shares a patio with its neighbour, Cabin 8,9,10 are right on the ridge and there are a couple cabins with picnic tables on covered patios which to me look perfect in case it rains.....best spot in Jasper. Right on the Athabasca and Miette Rivers...all other properties require you to cross Highway 93A to sit on the River....very very nice. 2 min drive to town, 10 min walk.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank calgaryskier
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This was more expensive than a hotel we stayed in at Banff and yet not as well appointed or convenient. The weather has a big influence on this review as it was poor but that having been said it is the job of the service industry to help visitors to get the most from their stay.
Firstly the lodge booked was supposed to be a twin bedded room but we were shown to one with a double bed. The only remaining twin room cabin was now in the poorest position so we stayed put and used the sofa bed - not great when considering the money as it had to be put up and down each evening and bedding took up room.
The little kitchen area was good but the fridge hummed all night which is not great for the sofa bed person! The bathroom is in need of an overhaul - it was clean but didn't look it because of mould on the walls. I waived the shower because I didn't fancy it.
There are DVDs to rent in the shop - great as it is was pouring with rain, but there isn't a TV so not much use. The restaurant seemed pretentious so we went for a meal at a great Greek restaurant in Jasper and saved money and ate very well.
We didn't find the nice view on the other side of the site until the morning we were leaving - a better welcome from the reception desk could have oriented us but (and this is a general comment about Canada) everything seems to be too much trouble for staff who are far too easy going in most places.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends