“Last Minute Booking”

Pocahontas Cabins
Castle Hill, Australia
“Last Minute Booking”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We loved Jasper and our family of 5 wanted to stay an extra night in June 2014 - our original accommodation couldn’t offer another night so we were thankful that Pocahontas Cabins came to the rescue and were able to offer 2 cabins 19 and 21. They were clean but very small, tired and in my opinion certainly not worth the nightly rate. We were warned on check in that room 19 sloped and our young adult children slept round the wrong way to counteract it. We accepted this as it was somewhere to lay our head after a wonderful day of going to the hot springs and hiking. Pocos restaurant was great - food was above expectations and the waitress was very welcoming and friendly. We had a problem with money on our travel card being held - but I must commend Tara for constantly replying to my emails and doing her utmost to resolve the issue. It was eventually refunded but not until we returned to Australia – whether it was Pocahontas Cabins or my banks fault, I never really worked out but it was the only time I had a problem over our 3 week trip. Tara was really good to deal with as she was professional and sympathetic. I was also very impressed with the Manager Graham (Englishman) and his first-hand knowledge of the local area - he gave us great tourism advice and his suggestion to visit Lake Maligne and take the boat trip was probably the highlight of our Canadian adventure. I would stay there again but would definitely ask for the newer cabins as the place has great customer service and a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tara L, Manager at Pocahontas Cabins, responded to this review, 18 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm happy we sorted out the authorization issue with your bank and that Graham was so helpful during your stay. With regards to the cabins, due to the last minute booking and the fact that most if not all of Jasper was full you were allocated these particular rooms. They are quite rustic and are sold as so with a full description on booking and checking in. Hopefully next time we will be able to accommodate in one of our modern cabins that your whole family can enjoy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

very disappointed , stayed for one night and stayed in smaller cabin. was told it was a queen size bed but was a double , my husbands feet hung over the edge. shower was so flimsy i forestalled one till i got home and the three different species of spiders were not welcome guests. i the morning my husband told me about the mice thank goodness or i would not have slept, i am aware they are rustic cabins but some bug control would have been nice. For 175 per night a bit on the expensive side for what we got plus the deposit of 200 . no staff contact except the ones swearing before they started work. went out on deck for morning coffee and was surrounded in a cloud of foul chemical fumes ( mountain air ). stayed here many times and felt standards have dropped. Also what is the point of 4 to 5 inch drop in floor level from door to back of cabin. very sore neck and shoulders from sleeping with head lower than feet.dont think this will be a choice of stay for a long long time. Bomus dirty rugs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am shocked to hear of the issues with your cabin. I will be sure to have our housekeeping department keep a closer eye while cleaning rooms. Due to our remote location we do experience all of the wonders of nature, albeit some are not as welcome as others. I have addressed the staff regarding there conduct while on property and this will no longer be an issue. We have several classifications of cabins ranging from rustic more economically priced to luxurious log cabins, maybe next time you could try something in the mid range as opposed to the most rustic style that may better suit your taste. I sincerely hope you will stay with us again.

Travellers are raving about these Jasper National Park hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed in the deluxe log cabin with my husband & puppy -although smaller than expected the cabin was very clean, cozy & perfect for the 2 of us and had almost everything we needed (pots,pans,utensils)

we stayed in cabin 115 and it seemed to be one of the best situated ones on the lot, the only downer is that the cabins are so close together but i expected that.

on the back of the property there was a nice big field with a horseshoe game and a few trails leading to the creek or if you walk slightly off the front of the property you will make it to the pocahontas trail - if you pass the paved part onto the steeper parts you will not be disappointed (about a 2 hour hike) as it was nice not to have any crowds & got very good photo opps.
The cabins are situated roughly about a 30 min drive from jasper townsite or roughly 25 mins from the maligne canyon road or you can go into the town of hinton which is roughly 25 mins the opposite way and they have grocery stores,dollarama,liquor store, etc

The staff at the pocahontas were actually pretty nice with the exception of the front desk guy who checked me in, he was very rude... BUT other than that the staff was GREAT!! stopped at the trading post to buy some drinks as we didnt feel like driving so far, not the best selection & paid $20.00 for 6 cans of palm bay so purchase your booze before you come, also over heard one of the neighbors complaining they didnt sell smokes at the trading post either.

they have community bbqs that seemed well equipped however i brought my own portable bbq which was great as some ppl had to wait to use the bbqs as they were occupied.

They have a restaurant onsite however we did not get to experience it as i cooked all our own meals, Overall a great place to stay not the best for families unless your staying in the 2 storey log cabins as the regular log cabins are quite small. pet friendly for a 15.00/day fee.

would stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a Cabin away from the highway, bring movies as there is only 10 channels
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank albertatrav
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

In Febuary I made a reservation with the lodging company for a two night stay end of May. I was very specific which cabin I wanted, the king deluxe cabin, there are only two on site. I called an estimated month before travel to confirm everything was good to go. When my husband and I arrived on site I was informed my reservation was mixed up by Pocahontas staff. We ended up staying in a queen one night then the king the next. I was very upset. I work two jobs and this "break" was really needed. Sadly I slept that night on the pull out couch and my husband slept in the bed as he has a bad back. I considered this have a major affect on my vacation. When I asked Pocahontas for compensation they offered me not to be charged the pet fee and the difference in the cost of the cabins for the night. Very unfair they screwed up and didn't do enough to fix it. My one night was ruined and they should have gave me a free night to make up for it. They just care about money. The difference in the cabins are night and day. The king has more sq footage, it's newer, actual gas fireplace, nicer kitchen/bath, AC... Also word to the wise the BBQ suck they are electric? Not sure how they worked I had never seen this before. I will say it is very dog friendly and the restaurant staff are nice.

Room Tip: Some have AC call for detailed info; Mountain park lodges own Pocahontas cabins.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jolene M
Onalaska, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were disappointed by Pocahontas Cabins on several points although some aspects may have been our own misunderstanding.
1. We expected a cabin and got a motel type suite. We had booked a one bedroom suite, but thought it was a cabin unit, not realizing that not all of this facility was cabins which is what we wanted.
2. The distance from Jasper, about 37 km, might have been fine for one night, but put us too far from the activities we wanted over the four nights we booked to explore Jasper National Park.. The drive also seems a bit longer than anticipated as the speed limit lowers in some locations for animal crossings.
3. We were awaken in the night by a guest in a room above us urinating. Soundproofing was not a priority in construction.
4. The refrigerator was tiny. The freezer compartment was tall enough for only an ice tray. We couldn't store grocery items beyond a few beverages and an apple or two.
5. High season pricing was instituted in the first week of June, too high for the room and location in our opinion. Lodging in Lake Louise was not at high season. It was far less expensive for a more spacious and quieter setting with great wifi in the room. At Pocahontas wifi is available in the common areas until they close at 10 PM, but it can be slow if many people are trying to access it.
On the positive side, the staff supervisor (the manager was not available) was diplomatic and helpful. He did assist us in shortening our booking by one night. All staff was pleasant. Dinner in the restaurant, although expensive, was very good.
The cabins and lodge rooms seems to vary dramatically in quality and price. I would recommend contacting the Pocahontas directly for information as the third party booking agencies only offer one or two of the lodging options.
Our stay was not unpleasant. We utilized the game room and the hot tub, but due to our disappointments, the cost, and location we would not stay here again.

Room Tip: The cabins and lodge rooms seems to vary dramatically in quality and price. I would recommend conta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tara L, Manager at Pocahontas Cabins, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your candid posting. I appreciate there is quite a difference between our rustic cabins, our new log cabins, and the motel style units but do our best to ensure all rooms are clean and comfortable for our guests. I thank you for your kind words about the staff, we have a great team and I will be sure to pass on your compliments.
Toronto
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Booked 3 night in the deluxe cabins at Pocohontas. Staff was very friendly and did their best to make our stay comfortable. Was happy with the amenities and cleanliness of the room. The pull out mattress was not comfortable but that was expected. There was noise from the adjacent highway but it was not an issue getting to sleep at night. Cabin was close to Pocohontas trail system, nice easy hikes for the family. Miette Hot Spring was a scenic 20min drive away. The route to the spring has some nice turnoffs and is a great road for motorcyclists. Would consider staying here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Edmonton
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Pleasantly surprise. Great room very clean, quiet location and newly renovated. equipped with a kitchenette and fridge. Great front desk service. Check-in/out was really quick. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family