“Relaxing & Invigorating, all at the same time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pocahontas Cabins

and 1 more site!
Pocahontas Cabins
fort mcmurray, ab
“Relaxing & Invigorating, all at the same time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

We stayed in a deluxe style cabin at the Pocahantas Cabins in June, 2010. I liked the location most of all. The Miette Hotsprings are located 10 minutes away on a scenic winding road, Athasbasca Falls are about an hour and a half away, (beautiful picnic spot), the Columbia Icefields are also a MUST SEE, and are located only two and a half hours away. I also noticed that their was a place to go ziplining close by as well. The room was very cleanly, and the staff was very accomodating. The cabins have been recently renovated and I thought they were very cute! I would definately recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank d-runk07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Onoway, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

I first tried booking a cabin here when I saw an advertisement for an online deal but when I called I was told they only give the deal to so many people and I was too late even though it said valid from June to September. I decided to book anyways and I was incredibly disappointed. Our miner’s cabin was sweltering hot when we arrived as they didn’t open any windows. It was full of bugs and absolutely filthy. The bathroom was full of the last guest’s body hair and the coffee cups still had coffee in them. The carpet was full of old food pieces and the radiator was broken off. I was afraid my toddler would get hurt so I had to hold her whenever we were in the room. All night we listened to the loud highway next to us and never slept a wink. We have stayed in the castle mountain chalets and the pine bungalows before just to name a few and I expected the cabin to be similar. I was so shocked I honestly have never seen anything as disgusting as this place. This is the first review I have ever written because I don’t normally like to complain but I really feel I need to warn people about this place especially if you have children.

3 Thank MountainLover26
RPMJasper, Manager at Pocahontas Cabins, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
We appreciate timely and candid comments from our guests and try to correct concerns while guests are at the property. We regret this guest did not appear to notify us immediately upon checking into the room as it appears they were checked into a dirty guest room in error. We apologize for this mistake and regret it marred this guest stay. These concerns could have easily been corrected with either a room change or correcting the challenges noted in this review by notifying the front desk.

Travellers are raving about these Jasper National Park hotels

Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

We were horrified at the cabin and shocked that the establishment receives a 2.5 star rating. The windows were open (no air conditioning) when we walked in, and because one of the windows did not even have a screen, there were bugs flying around. Immediately I asked for another cabin but was told there were no vacancies. Another couple from the UK had been to the desk just before us, complaining about similar appalling conditions. The cabin was filthy -- dirty carpet, walls -- ugh!!!! We booked a two bedroom with a full sized pullout but did not get the pullout. My husband and I itched all night from fleas. We booked two nights but left after the first. It was THAT bad. The next morning, after a round of arguing with the manager, we were finally offered a paltry $30 discount. We still can't believe we had to pay over $150 for a room that was unfit for habitation. The health department should shut it down.

2 Thank BibbityBobbity
RPMJasper, Manager at Pocahontas Cabins, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
We appreciate the candid comments by our guests and strive to correct concerns while guests are at the property. This rustic cabin does have screens on the windows, however one was probably dislodged on the night of this guests' arrival due to occasional high winds we experience at the property. Our website does clearly state that only the One Bedroom Pioneer Cabins have the pullout couch, and we do have airconditioning. While we did paint the walls and ceiling in this cabin in April of this year, there are portions of the walls that are the original wood construction. In order to try to satisfy this guest, we did offer to relocate them to one of our four other properties in the town of Jasper, however the guest declined and decided to stay at the property.
Northern Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

We came here in 2008 for the first time. We were expecting the cabins to be just like they were. We stayed in the Panebode area. They are smaller, dark, but did the job. We were not expecting a lot, so we were not disappointed. The breakfast and restaurant service was great.

This time however. We ordered first . We were the only ones in the restaurant . As time went on more people came in. I would think 5 more couples total. We ordered a Steak Sandwich, a Chicken Dish and 2 Macaroni & Cheese dishes for the kids. It took over 45 min for our food to come , and 2 other couples received their dishes before ours. After complaining to the front desk clerk, Our food came out, but was the wrong order.

The front desk clerk was very nice , helpful, and friendly. We had no problems with her service. The kitchen's and the server's, that is a different story.

Our desert was not what we ordered but at that point, who cares. Ice cream is ice cream.

There was another couple there who also received the wrong order, and had to send back their drinks because they were made wrong.

Not sure if we will be back or not. Probably but maybe not to eat.

We like the out of the way aspect of the cabins. The grounds are clean and tidy. The pool and hot tub are ideal for our family.

1 Thank syaremko
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

We did a fair amount of research online before booking here, asking for photos of the cabins we requested. They sent us pictures of the deluxe cabin, but booked us into a tiny pioneer cabin. We started out in #8, it was disgusting! Dog hair everywhere, bathroom covered in human hair, bed was dirty - dog hair all over the sheets and even some blood. I immediately went to the Front Desk to ask for a different cabin. There was no offer of an upgrade because of the condition of the room, only an offer to clean it while we waited. I asked to be moved to a different cabin entirely. They moved us to #17, it was even worse! There was some sort of wire than ran from one side of the tub to the other just above the shower head, it had blood on it as well. I had to buy a lint roller to get the pet hair off the sheets, we couldn't take our shoes off the carpet was so disgusting! I have never seen such a build up of dust, nail clippings, and dead insects behind furniture in my life! There were holes in the wall of the bedroom, God only knows what was in there. We ended up checking out early because I couldn't stay there... the girl at the Front Desk didn't say a word until after our credit card was charged for the night, but once she realized it was us with all the problems, she offered us free breakfast. Not a chance!! After seeing those cabins, I would hate to see the kitchen they cook in!

Not only will we never stay at Pocahontas Cabins again, I wouldn't even support the other hotels they own. So disappointing!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ab_girl12
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

My wife's extended family has been doing a family reunion-type outing for the past 4 years, and up until this year we had been staying at the Saskatchewan River Crossing. This year we decided to switch it up and stay at the Pocahontas Cabins, and our weekend was 1000 times better! We paid the extra money to stay in the Executive Deluxe room (the highest rate), but shared with other family and so the price was very reasonable after we split it. Definitely glad we decided to do this though, as the cheaper rooms that others in our group were staying in were definitely poor (unclean, unvaccuumed, holes in the walls for mice and other small creatures to get in). Plus, they cost more than they were worth.

Housekeeping wasn't great at first, but if we needed something either cleaned or fixed, they showed up within minutes and did anything we asked. Now that I think about it, I should have left a tip for the maintenance guy -- he did everything from disinfect our microwave, to trying to fix the fireplace (which he couldn't do in the end without disrupting our quiet evening), fixing the mouse hole in one of the rustic cabins, and repairing the pool table. And he was always friendly about it.

I found that all staff were extremely helpful & friendly. I think some of the complaints from travellers are from those who think they are staying at a 5 star hotel, which this is not. If you leave your front door open for any length of time, you're in the woods and so you can expect to find visitors in your room (as one person who was checking out at the same time as us just couldn't understand). This place could definitely use telephones in every cabin, however. I didn't like having to always walk over to the front desk to ask for anything.

It was great to have the pool, hot tub & games room to keep the kids occupied. The barbeques are extremely slow, and take a long time to build up proper heat for cooking. The key is to constantly check to make sure the pellets are feeding in the hopper, and keep the lid closed as much as possible.

In the end, we already booked the same room for next year, as did the rest of our group.

Don't expect luxury and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jon1414
Grande Prairie, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

I live a few hours away from Jasper and have always driven by these cabins wondering what they would be like, so when travelling with friends we decided to try it out and was sadly disappointed. The rooms were not very sound proof, our small group could barely carry on a conversation in our room without disturbing others around us. Although the rooms were cute,the beds were extremely uncomfortable, the worst sleep I have ever had in a hotel! The service was very very poor,I think that is what was the most disappointing, the girl at the front counter was VERY unfriendly and she was a supervisor, I expected more for the high price I paid! The cabins are very far from Jasper too (which we did know before staying) but you may want to take that in to consideration when booking. I did talk to a few locals and they said there are plenty of nicer cabins closer into Jasper and that is where we will stay next time.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends