“Nice location, good food, and friendly service”

Toronto, Canada
“Nice location, good food, and friendly service”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our one night stay at Sunwapta and had we not had reservations elsewhere might have stayed another day.
After arriving later than expected (because hwy 93 is gorgeous and it's nice to meander a bit) we quickly checked in and headed straight to dinner. Outstanding and friendly service, and both meals were delicious (rainbow trout and pork tenderloin). We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine, and were told that we were welcome to enjoy the remainder in our room if we didn't finish it with dinner. Room (cabin) was basic but with a very comfortable king sized bed and lovely bedding. We didn't use the fireplace but that's certainly a nice touch. Breakfast the following day was very good, and again, friendly and efficient service. We walked to the falls - gorgeous - I think I liked them even better than the more well known Athabasca Falls we saw later that day. We had booked a summer dreaming package which included a $75 credit in the dining room for dinner as well as hot breakfast (any choice) for 2. I thought it was great value. Nice that the hotel also provides 3 different self drive itineraries and it was clear that the front desk staff were interested and very willing to recommend other activities and
suggestions as well. Overall an enjoyable place to stay and would come back if ever in the area again.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Dayle21j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Czech first
Portland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for a night with my entire family. The service both at the hotel and restaurant was fantastic!
The only other way to improve (in my opinion) would be to have slightly larger beds and longer ones :)
Thanks!

Room Tip: Try it out and you will love it. It's really in the middle of the park although next to the free...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Cabins in nice private locations amongst the tall tress, real fireplace in room, nice decks on most cabins. Room clean and comfortable - but no blow dryer!. Restaurant had good food and accommodated us as we were past breakfast time. Friendly staff. Would like to spend a couple of days there, rather than just a quick stop-over night. Falls are beautiful - nice trail to run on
Carole and Bill

1 Thank carole w
Placentia, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Kerry, our official greeter and desk clerk was a real delight. She made us feel welcome from the get go. Kerry has the gift of hospitality. Due to her initiative of planning a day trip for us, we were able to see what was on our agenda plus more. Server Ashley and Restaurant Mgr. Stewart were the keys for our superb restaurant experience. I had the all meat Pot Pie (four kinds of meat, gravy, w/out filler). My wife had rainbow trout. Our meal was gourmet.

Facility may look tired on the outside however our room was just what we had anticipated. All the staff we encountered were courteous, friendly, and helpful. They reinforced that we were the appreciated guest at their resort.

Room Tip: The Lodge is one km/easy walk East of Sunwapta Falls on the Icefields Parkway. Jasper is about 40-mi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
mcorlett, Director of Sales at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hi Paul B!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and thanks for taking the time to write a review. Kerrie, Stewart and Ashley are all feeling pretty proud today :)

For the readers out there, let me elaborate on a couple of points!

Front Desk Services:
At the front desk we feel most people are here to connect with nature, and we know that special connection that can come in a wonderful place like Jasper National Park. To help out we have 3 self drive sightseeing itineraries we use as a base for all recommendations. Each itinerary represents one full day of sightseeing.

We are more than happy to customize your sightseeing plans with you so that you can experience the most of your time in Jasper and tick off any 'musts' you may have on your list. We also act as ticketing agents for all the activities area. Consider the desk your personal planning centre!

If you want to get a head start on your planning, give us a call or drop us an email to discuss your ideas and ask for suggestions. Don't forget to let us know who you are travelling with and what level of activity you are comfortable with!

Evening Meals:
The pot pie is an amazing mix of wild game and substantial! If you want to see what else is on our regionally inspired menu, check out our restaurant page on our website. There you can find links to our current menus and pricing.

Don't forget to make advance reservations for our evening dining room: info@sunwapta.com or 1-888-828-5777. It's a good idea especially if you are coming in July or August. Our first seating is at 6:30pm and with an intimate 13 table setting, it can fill fast!

Thanks again Paul. We appreciate there's a decent amount of choice in the Jasper area, and are very glad to see you had a good experience with great value here at Sunwapta.

All the best,

Adelaide
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Misleading advertising. It is on a major highway - just a series of basic cabins and two storey units and not a rustic setting. My husband did a tour of the buildings which revealed very basic structures and poor maintenance. He did speak to the manager (he did identify himself as such) in the reception area and associated dining area and was told that in order to provide the so called gourmet meals they merely put table cloths on the tables at night. The advertising is quite incorrect.

I find I have been charged for two nights instead of the one specified for a no show.

1 Thank Sarah H
Hi Sarah,

We're very sorry to hear of your negative experience. I can assure you that it is our mission to provide the best possible experience we can to each one of our guests, and to everyone that walks through our doors.

I can also assure you and the readers out there that we don't mislead guests. We're very proud of where we are, and are as clear as possible about the experience we provide. Readers, if you take a peak at our many responses over the years to TripAdvisor reviews I think you will see a commitment to transparency including the fact that we are located on Highway 93, the Icefields Parkway.

We feel that TripAdvisor is one of the most powerful ways travel planners can consider their priorities and expectations in advance, and make sure we align with the experience they are looking for! It’s an uncommon attitude for hoteliers to have, but we love it!

Let me repeat some comments we’ve made in the past to help future guests make the right decision about staying, or not staying, at Sunwapta.

Highway 93 Explained!
Highway 93 is not a regular highway, and we wouldn't classify it as a major highway. It is primarily a vacationing sightseer highway. Logging trucks or unrelated transportation, industrial or commercial vehicles are not permitted to use Highway 93 for example. It's main purpose is to provide sightseers and National Park visitors the chance to experience the many natural wonders of Banff and Jasper National Parks.

The Parkway itself should be considered a destination and experience all of its own. Having driven it countless times, it still never ceases to amaze me. The mountain towns are great too, but the Parkway… now there is something special in the world.

Exceptions to the trucking rule would be vehicles related to construction, delivering goods and supplies to Sunwapta or the Icefileds facilities, and Parks Canada maintenance vehicles. Also, during the day you will find tour busses. As we are in the National Park construction is exceedingly rare.

Generally speaking the highway is dead quiet by 8pm even in peak season. The evenings here are very quiet adn you can actually here the roar of the Sunwapta river and falls at night. The reason for the quietude being that everyone is checking into their hotels (if not already checked in) between 4 and 8. Tour busses are off the highway and other transport vehicles deliver during the day not at night.

I'm thinking of what else I could do to paint a transparent picture... I will commit to filming some footage at 8pm over the next few days. Maybe if I edit it together and put a Youtube video on the Sunwapta channel it would be helpful!

Our Accommodation:
I agree, a good way to describe the accommodation is a series of basic cabins. We are basic at 2.5 stars. I’m not sure where it states otherwise. Sometimes people get confused because our 2.5 star hotel has 4 circles on TripAdvisor and has won the Certificate of excellence for a few years running.

We prefer to classify our accommodation as bungalows, each with 4 separate hotel rooms with the same basic amenities and a few varying features. Some have fireplaces for example, others sun decks. This year we will be adding low wattage hair dryers. We haven’t done this in the past due to energy demand of hairdryers and the fact that we generate our own power supply.

To help people get an accurate picture, I've also posted a photo album, 2 years ago now, on our Facebook page and posted them here on TripAdvisor called 'Candid Photos'. These are pictures I've taken with a 35mm camera. I'm not a pro, and no staging was done. I've written about these extensively in other responses. Feel free to find them on our Facebook page or here on TripAdvisor (no album names on TA though).

We also have an accommodation lodge. There are 13 rooms there mostly with 2 double beds and the same basic amenities as all of our rooms: full private bath, in room tea and coffee, TV with 20 channels including 4 movie channels, news, entertainment, kids, sports and area information.

Dining:
The dining here is exceptional. I'm guessing Sarah did not partake. I will leave the TripAdvisor reviews from guests who have enjoyed the restaurant to speak for the dining. Again I’m not clear how we’ve misrepresented the experience, but I would like to know so I can look at changing it.

I would say the atmosphere in the dining room at night is lovely, with fire crackling, table cloths, views of the Endless Chain Ridge. I would also say it's intimate at 13 tables.

Readers you can find reviews on TripAdvisor and an current menu with pricing on our website’s restaurant page. I highly recommend advance reservations, which can be made through our front desk: info@sunwpata.com / 1-888-828-5777 or 780-852-4852.

No Show Policy:
Our policy is really clear. If we don't have 48hrs notice, and there are not extenuating circumstances, then we bill for one nights room and tax, and cancel the remainder of the reservation. If you’ve taken advantage of a non-refundable advance deposit rate through us our one of our online travel partners, then you’ve paid at the time of booking.

Sarah, if you were not a no show, then please contact me so I can investigate on your behalf: matthew@sunwpata.com.

Again, we feel unhappy that your experience just wasn't as good as most others have here at Sunwapta. Thanks for your time in leaving your comments. I hope our response helps future guests make the right decision.

Readers, if you have questions it's ALWAYS great to ask in advance! No matter how you book your stay with us, just give us a call or email us. We have absolutely no desire to mislead you… People that stay with us generally really enjoy it. We like to keep it that way!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Just off the highway between Jasper and Lake Louise, this lodge is a great base for several hikes.
The accommodation was comfortable and the staff were very helpful with info regarding hikes and trails in the area.

Hi Aussie Girl!

Thanks for staying with us during your Jasper adventure. We're glad you found good value and took advantage of the local hikes and trails.

Readers if you are interested in some of the local hikes, trails and sights feel free to call or email us to get some preliminary info. We'd be happy to help out!

info@sunwapta.com / 1-888-828-5777 or 780-852-4852

Also, don't feel that you need to be a hiker to stay with us. There is plenty to do and see. Some people are interested in more involved hikes, but most are happy with a short trail or two with something beautiful at the end of it :)

Thanks again Aussie Girl... Long way from Brisbane but we hope to see you again!

Matt
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This resort is right on the road about halfway between the town of Jasper and the town of Lake Louise ... really not much else except campgrounds along this stretch. The lodge is not bad, but is showing the years and could use updating. The biggest highlight is its proximity to the gorgeous Sunwapta Falls (hike to both upper and lower). Restaurant (reached through a large gift shop full of the usual made-in-China tourist junk) has a nice menu and good food, but for some reason they thought it was a good idea to pipe in bad 1980s pop music morning and evening. A little attention to details both inside and out would kick this place up a notch with very little effort.

Room Tip: A room away from the road and the entry parking lot will spare you the steady stream of tour buses a...
Hi EcoArtTraveller!

Thanks so much for choosing us and for your valuable comments and feedback. I would like to elaborate a little more for readers interested in the exceptional opportunity to stay along the Icefields Parkway.

Hwy 93, the Icefields Parkway:
This exceptionally beautiful, picturesque, scenic, mind blowing, heart expanding drive traverses the distance between the town of Jasper and the town of Lake Louise. Roughly 220km.

Along the way, you will find facilities every 50km or so. Headed south from the town of Jasper, we are the first one on the west side. We have accommodations of course, but also provide services for travellers on the Parkway during the day.

50km further south you'll find the incredible Columbia Icefields on the west side and the interpretive centre and Glacier View Inn on the east. Here you will have the opportunity to join Brewster for a SnoCoach ride on the Glacier, or to take part in their new attraction the SkyWalk. We provide tickets for both at Sunwapta. The Icefields is basically the boundary between Jasper and Banff National Parks.

50km south of the Glacier View Inn, you'll find the Saskatchewan River Crossing Resort. Scenic doesn't even begin to describe the mountain vistas you'll find there. Hikes abound. They also provide food and beverage and shopping for day travellers.

50km south of the Crossing you'll find the spectacular historic Num Ti Jah lodge sitting right on the precipice of Bow Lake with views of the Glacier across the way. Wow what a spot. They have limited room availability, and one of the most charming buildings in the Rockies. I'm a big fan of the location.

Shortly there after you'll find yourself in Lake Louise!

I should say, this is a list of facilities... as for stops, trails, sights to be seen, there can be no definitive list. I would say the Parkway is the most unsung hero of any Rockies vacation. Too many have come only to enjoy the towns... the Parkway is where those transcendent moments occur where you feel both inconsequential and elevated in the same moment.

We're lucky to be close to one of the great places on the Parkway: the Sunwapta Falls. Aside from their power, beauty and might, there's a rich untold human history with the Falls that we've just begun to learn of this year.

Stay tuned on our social media channels as we hope to have more info put together by the end of the season for those interested in history and culture! Find us at SunwaptaFalls on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.

Gift Shop:
Yes we have items made in China! Yes we have some 'tourist junk' (some might call it gifts for people back home, something inexpensive to remind them of the experience and area).

However, our gift store proudly carries a great deal of regional and nationally authentic items. Local artisans, soap companies, jewelry, moccasins, buffalo leather accessories, books, Canadian hunting and fishing knives, ammolite, sculptures, wildlife and landscape photography... and some native art. Our main calendar and post card supplier even prints in Canada and is a local company out of Edmonton! If you follow us on Instagram or Facebook you can catch some images of items we've posted there.

Restaurant:
The food and menu pricing can be found online on the restaurant page of our website. I highly recommend you make advance reservations for this 13 table intimate dining room! Call or email our front desk: 1-888-828-5777 or info@sunwapta.com.

As for the 80's music, I had to smile at that comment :) Isn't it just a sweet affair we all have with 80's music? Everyone wants to rule the world, but I will drop a careless whisper in the manager's ear to bring it to his attention:) Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Updating:
Thank you for your comments regarding overall appearance and also recommendations. I've proposed plans for approval that I think will give the exterior and interior a good notch up as you suggest. I hope to be able to speak to those once they are finished!

Thanks again EcoArtTraveller!