“Great Views and Clean Cozy Room”

The Glacier View Inn
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had a great stay at the Glacier View. I didn't request a glacier view room, but that's what we got, so we were happy. My kids loved the loft upstairs with 2 twin beds where they could sleep. There was no air conditioning, but the weather was comfortable, so we didn't need it. Our room was clean. Wouldn't recommend eating there though. The food isn't very good and way over priced so eat before you get there. We were pleasantly surprised that they had an evening walk around the glacier which was free of charged. We really enjoyed this, and the ice walk the next morning was amazing. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a glacier view room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Susan S,

We do thank you for your review. We are pleased that you and your family enjoyed the complimentary upgrade to a glacier view room and the evening glacier walk.

As the food and beverage facilities located at Glacier View Inn are not owned or operated by Brewster Hospitality, I would be more than happy to pass on your comments regarding outstanding service and Asian cuisine to their Management for their review.

Thank you for your business and loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The hotel is old and there is nothing cozy or memorable about it. Dirty elevator takes you up to an old-fashion carpeted hallway and your room. The rooms are spacious and good for families (ours had a loft with a queen size bed and two twin beds on the main level), the windows open to let in some of the wonderful mountain air, so that's a plus. The good things end here. The restaurant serves awful overpriced food and breakfast doesn't even come with toast. Eggs benedict are terrible - stay away. This however is the only hotel in the immediate vicinity of Columbia Icefields, so if you want to spend the night here you have no choice. If you have time, you're better off staying in Jasper and making a day trip to the Icefields.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear lmitravel,

Thank you for taking the time to review Glacier View Inn.

Please accept our apologies that you were not satisfied with your experience at our Inn. We are pleased that you enjoyed your loft room and the fresh mountain air.

As the food and beverage facilities are not owned or operated by Brewster Hospitality, I would be more than happy to pass on your comments regarding the expensive pricing and food quality to their management for their review.

Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Operating Directors. I hope you feel confident that we have heard your concerns and have taken action to improve our operations.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We visit the Canadian Rockies every year because Illinois is so flat! The last time we stayed at the Inn was in 2000 for a family reunion and probably stayed there a few times before that going back to 1978. We had a wonderful experience again this year for the three nights we stayed at the Inn. Yes, everything (food, lodging) is expensive, but not more than the nearest competition (Sunwapta Falls and The Crossing), or any other lodge or lodge restaurant (Emerald Lake, Num-Ti-Ja, Deer Lodge in Lake Louise) and certainly not more than the Chateau Lake Louise, Banff Springs, Post Hotel, etc. I'd give the food at Sunwapta a slight edge, but the lodging here is best. The Crossings doesn't compare in any way to either establishment. We always book the glacier view rooms, so we can't attest to the noisy generator complained about for the rooms on the backside of the building as mentioned in other reviews. We did have a room adjacent to the elevator and the noisy corridor door complained about in other reviews didn't bother us at all. The staff of both the hotel and the restaurant (different owners) were very friendly and provided excellent service.

With our prior knowledge about the area, we packed in our own snack lunches (canned tuna salad, crackers and fruit) to offset the prices of lunches. The last time we purchased lunch at Sunwapta, it amounted to about $45 (for sandwich and soup for two)! The prices for breakfast and dinner were more reasonable so we did have breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and sampled the oriental dishes as suggested in other reviews. The food was delicious. We observed others presented with a more western cuisine which looked delicious also. We never did sample the western world dinners because the oriental fare was so good! Breakfast was good also and that had more western world selection. The fruit served with breakfast was as fresh and good as we get at Lake O'Hara. I imagine those with axes to grind have more a problem with the prices rather than the quality of the food. Maybe some day they'll have a McDonald's there for those folks.

There is no doubt that we will return and stay at the Inn again; probably in 2015 to take in the new Glacier Walk and the remodeled Icefields exhibit which were under construction this year. It was startling to stand by Lake Sunwapta and see a construction crane on the road in the distance and to encounter a stop light on the Icefields Parkway! The old Icefields exhibit in the Parks building was exceptional and I missed looking at it again this year, but the new one just has to be better....doesn't it! Maybe our next stay will sample the restaurant's western fare for dinner.

Reluctantly, because I know this may upset some people, I have to mention that our room had numerous visits from a friendly critter (field mouse) the second night we were there. We reported it and were offered a complimentary dinner and a different room, both of which we declined. Meanwhile steps were taken by the staff to catch the critter. We declined a new room because this wasn't anything new to us. It sure was less frightening than watching a bear right outside our window demolish three walls of a garbage shed at the Best Western in Rogers Pass! The fourth wall was a sturdy metal door and was still standing when the bear left! Or.....the numerous critters we have encountered inside or outside the Lodge and cabins at Lake O'Hara over the years. We have learned to just report things and the staffs calmly take appropriate steps. Come on, I have to think that buildings look like an Oasis to an animal! Why wouldn't they want to be part of the clientele? Sorry for the mouse, but I did feel better when I heard the trap snap shut. Part of the experience of the Parks is learning to coexist with the animals, so we shouldn't be surprised when we are put on notice by one. Unfortunately, they are usually the losers as was the case with this mouse. Okay, enough for my soapbox. This from someone just as afraid of a mouse as a bear!

Since our last visit to the toe of the glacier, it has receded down one ridge and partway up another. The toe is in terrible condition: I have never seen it look in such poor condition, even during the really hot years when we have retreated to the Icefields to escape the heat of the lower valleys. This was fascinating to me. I show a slideshow of the recession of this glacier as part of an erosion unit for 4th graders, and this year will focus on condition of the toe. I also found a trail through the rubble in front of the toe, leading all the way back to the highway! This and walking the different deltas on the lake garnered more pictures for the erosion slideshow. And.... these new discoveries came after visiting the Icefields at least 10 times! Everything turned out so much better than we anticipated. We opted to not take the bus trip onto the glacier since we have done that a few times already and that doesn't show change as much as the toe and the recession.

One last thing. My hats off to the management of the Lodge as they seem to respond to each and every review posted here. Thanks for a wonderful three days and nights.

Room Tip: Maybe there is a swimming pool and/or Fitness Center. Why would you need one? You get enough exercis...
2  Thank Chris H

Dear Chris H.

Thank you for your review and loyalty. You do a wonderful job addressing areas past reviewers were not pleased about and making suggestions on how to overcome them to enhance your overall experience. Coming prepared is the best thing you can do when checking into an Inn in a remote location. Packing lunches and snacks is the perfect way to save on cost and booking a Glacier View room can be quieter and provide better views.

As you mentioned, the Icefields Exhibit is currently under construction but will reopen for Summer 2014. It will definitely be better than before (take a look at the renovations done to the Cave and Basin in Banff as an example).

As for this little critter that made an appearance in your room - I must say, I am happy to hear it was just a little mouse and not a bear! You are spot on with recognizing that these critters find our Inn a perfect oasis, equipped with free food! Should anything like this occur during a stay our hotel staff will do everything possible to rectify the situation.

You have captured the receding glacier perfectly. Global warming is affecting the rate of the melt and the glacier's edge is receding faster than it was 50 years ago. For visitors who have not been on the Columbia Icefield's Tour it is a great experience to be able to stand on the Athabasca Glacier and learn about the history and present-day information about the Icefield.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Hotel was generally in a run down condition. Obviously the owners are taking advantage of being the only hotel in this location and are charging too much for what you get. The restaurant was also excessively expensive as was the the cafeteria.

Better to save your money and to stay in Jasper which is only an hour further on.

The icefield tour was also a big disppointment since it was not a tour of the icefields but of the Athabaska glacier which is a sad reminder that it used to be glacier

Room Tip: Stay in Jasper

Dear TorontoWallace,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Glacier View Inn. Please accept our sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

You are right in saying that our rates are more expensive than what you would find in Jasper, however we are located in a remote area and all our power comes from generators. Our operating costs are more than they would be if we were located in a city, therefore our rates are higher. At Glacier View Inn you are paying to sleep in a beautiful and serene area surrounded by Glaciers and priceless views.

The Columbia Icefield's spans 215 square kilometres and is the largest body of ice in the Rocky Mountains. In some areas, the thickness of the ice reaches 1200ft deep. The melt from these glaciers feed 3 of the world's major oceans: Arctic, Pacific, and the Atlantic. The Athabasca Glacier alone is 6 square kilometres and has an ice depth of up to 1000ft. I would definitely say that it is still a glacier.

Thank you for bringing up the location of the tour. Like you said, the tour is only on the Athabasca Glacier. One thing to remember about glaciers is that they are constantly moving and changing. In order to keep our visitors safe, we can only take you so far out on the glacier. Our goal is to allow our guests the opportunity to safely walk on a glacier and learn the history of the Columbia Icefield.

Thank you again for your feedback and business,

Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Icefields is one of my favorite places in the world and I am lucky enough to live within driving distance. I often visit the area to hike or show it off to visitors. Although we often camp we decided this time to splurge and stay at the hotel. Because we would get lots of glacier views during our hiking we opted for the slightly less expensive "mountain view" rooms. Lets just say that the advertising should say quite side vs noisy side rather than glacier view vs mountain view.

I should point out that we did think the hotel was quite good overall - very nice staff, neat and clean, comfortable rooms...

The problem is that they have a generator located very close to the hotel at the back (mountain view side). I cannot imagine that any room on the back side is immune from the noise. So there we were in a room that cost almost $300 per night after all the taxes, and we had a choice - open the window and get lots of fresh Rocky Mountain air but no sleep listening to the generator all night, or close the window, still could hear the generator but it was at least muted, and get a moderate amount of sleep in a stuffy room. We were stunned by this situation. Staying at a hotel in a pretty pristine area where we expected a really quite night full of cool, crisp, fresh air.

Move the generator to the other end of the parking lot and run a cable the 500 m to the hotel. Put the generator in a shed to muffle the noise. Charge batteries to run essential services overnight and have reduced power available to rooms between 10 and 7. Do something, anything! Generally the assumption is that a hotel is a place people go to sleep.

Sorry but even though I though the hotel was overall quite nice I can't imagine staying again or recommending it to friends.

Room Tip: If you go stay on the glacier view side and insist on the end away from the generator.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura M

Dear Laura M.,

Thank you very much for your review of Glacier View Inn. We appreciate to hear from all our guests so that we can celebrate our successes and make improvements in other areas.

Your "Room Tip" will help future guests who are concerned about the noise from the generator to make a request for a quieter room or opt for the Glacier View rooms.

We appreciate your suggestions regarding the generator and ways to make it quieter for our guests. We are always looking for ways to improve the overall stay and comfort for our guests. I have passed your comments on to the Operating Directors for further revision.

Please accept our sincerest apologies that you did not receive a good night's sleep.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review,

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I've driven by this place for years and thought 'how cool would it be to stay there'.
Finally I did and what a surprize! I got some amazing photos of the Glacier late at night.. it was so peacefully quiet. I did some cool day hiking. The Inn staff were super helpful and friendly. My greatest surprize was the restaurant. The food was excellent... but the secret is eat from the Asian menu at the back. It was outstanding and I ate there 4 times. The only thing better was the service at the restaurant (I'm not referring to the cafe... it's the sit down dining room) ... anyway the service was outstanding. The team engaged us, asked how our adventures were, remembered what we were going to do and not just us, because I saw them act the same with all the guests. I guess when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere... you actually appreciate and have a genuine interest in your guests. I'd stay again just for the dining experience... and yes it's pricy... but what do you expect in a world class location like this, its worth it.

Room Tip: If you don't get a glacier view room, don't worry, after the day guests depart, you have the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear winequaffer,

Wow! Thank you so much for the incredible review. We at Brewster Hospitality are so pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Tourists often miss out on the opportunity to see the Columbia Icefields under the stars and it is quite an incredible experience. Thank you for informing us of the helpful and friendly service you experienced at the Inn. We report all feedback to Management and staff so they will read your review shortly.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

The Glacier View is the only lodging near the glacier, so they can basically charge what they want. So they do. The food at the restaurant was so-so, although the server we had for dinner, then breakfast the next morning, was delightful. There's no signage leading up to the hotel, so if you didn't see a photo of it you'd never know you were there. The visitor's center is on one floor, the cafeteria and restaurant are on the next floor, and the hotel rooms are above that. The registration for the hotel is through a frosted glass double door , again with no signage, so it's easy to miss. In fact, one customer we directed to the registration room commented that he thought it was the freezer doors that he was looking at! The rooms are a great design for families, though. First level is a queen sized bed and a pull out couch. Two twin beds are up the stairs in a sort of loft. Te beds were surprisingly comfortable. The only reason we stayed there was we had three people in our group who were biking from Jasper to Banff and this was the first stop of their trip. Because this leg of their trip was so long(78 miles) and the last 5 miles was grueling, we knew they'd probably miss the fact that the building housed the hotel becuase there's no signage on the road approaching it. one of our party actuall drove down to find them and let them know that the building was where they were to go. All the employees we encountered were extremely pleasant and helpful. But if I had a choice, I'd keep going down the road to a better place.

Room Tip: If possible, get a room on the front side. It'll have a glacier view, but also there's an ex...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
GlacierView_Manager, Hotel Sales Executive Coordinator at The Glacier View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Kim C:

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Glacier View Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed our room design and comfortable beds and that you found our staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, Parks Canada are in charge of road signage and as much as we have tried, little has been changed, despite our constant requests. The website outlines driving directions and there are also GPS coordinates give to help customers locate the facility. The lobby has recently been renovated and the front desk facility has only moved behind the frosted glass within the last few weeks. Rest assured, additional signage will be posted in due course.

We appreciate your comments and suggestions and thank you again.

Alexandra George

Jasper House Bungalows
Jasper House Bungalows
#14 of 22 in Jasper National Park
Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lo...
#6 of 22 in Jasper National Park
Pocahontas Cabins
Pocahontas Cabins
#6 of 33 in Jasper National Park
HI Athabasca Falls Wilderness Hostel
HI Athabasca Falls Wilderness Ho...
#20 of 33 in Jasper National Park
HI Rampart Creek Wilderness Hostel

Been to The Glacier View Inn? Share your experiences!