“Isolated log cabins in a snowy wilderness with postcard views of mountaintops”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Isolated log cabins in a snowy wilderness with postcard views of mountaintops”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Apparently Sir Arthur Conan Doyle visited the lodge and said something about it being 'better than heaven.' I tried to read his review here but I couldn't find it. This is the kind of place that John Denver or Dolly Parton would have loved to have taped a Christmas special from in the early to mid '80s.

My wife and I were so excited about coming to the Fairmont for a short post-Christmas vacation that we drove into a snowbank near Edson. I'm not kidding.

Since we got here after the Christmas exodus had fled, the lodge was really quiet and peaceful. No crowds, no noise. When we checked in, the staff had upgraded our cabin for us at no extra charge, which was a class move. It was probably an upsell technique to try and get us to pay and upgrade even further but we didn't take the bait.

Since the accomodations are cabins, it obviously requires a walk out-of-doors to get to the dining area, the pool, the overpriced gift shops, etc. Some people thought this was a bad thing. I actually enjoyed it. The delicious scenery, wholesome fresh air, and the smell of the trees are an essential part of the Jasper experience. If somebody just wants to sit around a hotel room and watch pay-per-view they're in the wrong place. This is an excellent place for a winter getaway. I don't recommend coming here during peak tourist season however.

Unfortunately the lodge is quite a ways from the town of Jasper so you will need a car if you don't plan on staying at the Fairmont for the duration of your vacation.

We've never been there in the summer yet but it's on our 'to experience' list.

Room Tip: Go after the holidays are over.
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jfgtl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2011

My family (10 of us) all met and stayed in a cabin at the Jasper Park Lodge to surprise Mom for their 50th Anniversary. It was only for one night and brunch the next morning, but it was wonderful. 5 bedrooms, all with big bathrooms & soaker tubs. Pool table in the basement, big warm stone fireplace, big family dining table. Brunch the next morning with an absolutely stunning view of the snow capped mountains, delicious! Saw 2 herds of elk and a billy goat on the way home. Great time had by all!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lovetotravelgirl46
FairmontJPL, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Thank you lovetotravelgirl46 for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like you and your family had a lovely time in Gardener's Cabin, which is definitely one of my favourites! A shame that you were only here for one night - hopefully next time you're able to stay a bit longer. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2011

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge is simply beautiful. All the details and extras are taken care of and the staff is super helpful and friendly. A wonderful experience. The food is also outstanding, with lots of healthier options.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake-front cabin. The view is spectacular
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Batemans Bay, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed at the Jasper Park Lodge in April 2011 and loved it. i traveled troughout Canada staying at the Fairmonts and this one was the greatest. what makes this hotel so great is that it is so different from all the others they are like little lodge cabins and are super cozy. you can wake up in the morning step out onto the verander and there is elk just below grazing. the food is just great and the service is excellent.

great hotel i will stay again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Calgary
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Spent a lovely weekend at the JPL (Nov 18-20). The drive from Lake Louise is spectacular and the property is stunning. The bathrooms are dated, but why use the bathroom in your room when you can use the newly renovated fitness facility with beautiful new showers, sauna, steam room and outdoor pool. There's no hot tub, but I'm told they're getting one next year. The bed in our room was very comfortable and we had a flat screen TV but the walls are thin. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, splurge for a lakefront cabin. The food is expensive but probably in line with similar properties. The quality, though, is dismal. We ate 2 breakfasts, a lunch, and a dinner at the lodge and it was all mediocre at best. No where near the quality you'd expect from a Fairmont. I'm surprised more reviewers haven't commented on the food, maybe they ate in town? All in all it was a lovely weekend and when they improve the food situation we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
FairmontJPL, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, but are disappointed to read that your experiences at our restaurants fell short of your expectations. Your comments will be passed on to our Food & Beverage team for their review and we certainly hope that we have the opportunity to offer a positive dining experience to you in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Scotland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed 2 nights at this excellent hotel in late June 2011 whilst on vacation in the Rockies andand found it just great! The accommodation is in small(ish) log cabins round a large lake and while the rooms are on the small side, they were extremely comfortable, with good and well-equipped bathrooms. Lots of hot water, fresh bedlinen and lots of towels - and all the facilities and add-ons you would expect from a large resort hotel. Baggage was distributed and collected to/from the rooms by hotel staff in good time and all the staff we came into contact with, were very friendly and helpful.
The public rooms were spacious and comfortable throughout the hotel, with a fire in the main lounge even in June! Very welcoming! The only downside for us, was that the restaurant facilities and there were a number of restaurants in the resort, were pretty expensive and the cheaper ones did not have too extensive a menu. The bar that included an outside terrace overlooking the lake, was fine but a somewhat restricted and snacky-type menu!
The hotel was located about 15 mins outside Jasper and there was a shuttle operating throughout the day but a taxi ride was required to return to the hotel in the evening after about 1800 hours! But in saying this, it was a really nice place to stay and we throughly enjoyed it all! There were woodland walks around the lake and on our final morning, just after 0700, we saw a family of elk walking round past our cabin, right along the lakeside! Just lovely! There were also lots of wild birds, some of which were quite tame, wandering around the extensive grounds of the resort much of the time.
At the end of the walkway our room was on, was the larger lodge used by the Royal Family for visits to Jasper on many different occasions.

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeside room, as some of the rooms are quite a ways back from the water.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
North Vancouver
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I write this with a certain degree of sadness, I used to live in Jasper, my first job was at Jasper Park Lodge washing dishes back in 1971. So when I started talking about planning a trip for our 94 yr. old mother with my sisters Jasper was the obvious choice. We planned ahead with reservations for two cabins at Jasper Park Lodge, because it was a family thing our one request was that our cabins be close together. That's where our let downs started. Sisters & mother checked in first, I followed in after a long drive from Vancouver our cabins couldn't have been physically any further apart. We were told there was nothing they could do because of my late check in. (why had I paid in advance to secure my reservation?) As we tried to enjoy ourselves there was one let down after another first was the obvious poor up keep of the cabins. Scratches in the furniture, stains in carpets and cushions, peeling paint, the whole place just felt tried and worn out like Fairmont hadn't spent a dime in the last 30 years. Breakfast the next morning in the main lodge was a disaster being served by staff in training, two meals were returned and replaced with other menu items. I could go on but I'll spare you, needless to say we complained, we wrote letters. At first Fairmont responded by offering us two complimentary nights to use in the next 18 months or a full refund for one night. That was back in July of this year. This fall the one sister returned with our mother I myself couldn't make the trip so I emailed Jasper Park Lodge asking that I be reimbursed as discussed. The response I got back blew me away, since I hadn't taken advantage of their original offer "soon enough" they were now only willing to offer me a gift card to use at any Fairmont owned hotel for 1/2 the value of their original offer. Translated that meant at $500 a night, for two nights ($1000) rather than honor their original offer of two nights free or reimburse $500 for one night they were now offering me a gift card that I can only use at another Fairmont. I told they to keep their offer. I can not stand dealing with people or business' that lie or can't stand behind their word. Jasper Park Lodge is not a cheap place to stay so when you pay that kind of money you normally expect a certain standard of excellence and service; I've never been more disappointed. Jasper Park itself is beautifully timeless sadly I must advise that Jasper Park Lodge is not the place you should go to enjoy it from.

Room Tip: Any cabin facing the lake with Mt. Edith Cavell in the distance will give you that I'm in a post...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank HappyWonderer572
FairmontJPL, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Dear Guest,
We were very disappointed and sincerely apologize that despite our efforts we were unable to find a satisfactory outcome for you. When a guest of ours has a poor experience our goal is to investigate, learn, and work together towards a resolution. A Fairmont Gift Card allows the recipient the flexibility to use in whole or part at any Fairmont Hotel or Resort and it does not have an expiry date. It is unfortunate that you did not feel that was an appropriate alternative. Again our apologies, and we will continue to work towards providing every guest with a positive experience. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels