“Should Be Better”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Gets a VG rating because of the location otherwise overpriced.
We had a nice cabin facing the lake. It was clean and we enjoyed it but for the money they are charging it was a little run down, even the lodge. The whole place, I mean the buildings, look worn out.

Also the food was terrible. They don't mind charging a lot for it either. Best meal we had was a cooked chicken from a local grocer.

The service was okay. Some of the staff were really trying but they seem bored to death. Gotta mention the English gal in one of the gift shops. She at least was talkative and delightful. Sorry I forgot her name. I should mention my kid had a great time. This is a good spot for families besides the cost. The staff in charge of the kids activities were very nice as you would expect.
Spring probably isn't the best time to go unless you are skiing but we won't be going back. JPL, if you want to charge Fairmont prices you better break out the Fairmont food and service. And fix the place up!

Room Tip: Stay in town and visit the grounds.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rob E

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Wow. My boyfriend and I stayed at Jasper Park Lodge last week. We decided to stay in Alberta for spring break. I found a great deal online and after reading some reviews here, I was apprehensive. Now, I can't imagine what those people were thinking! It was absolutely amazing in every aspect. We were treated extremely well by every single staff member we encountered. Our drinks in the lounge were amazing, bartender and server went above and beyond. Our dinner was delicious. We had room service one night, also yummy! Service at Cavelle's was perfect. Everyone was kind, attentive and efficient. Our room was a basic King room. We had our own patio and enjoyed relaxing there. We absolutely love the main lodge itself. I can't believe I thought about staying anywhere else. The steam room was great to relax in. So very happy I chose the Fairmont. We'll be back near Christmas to skate on the pond!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Feels kind of like going to camp,only better. Having a "cabin" and walking to the lodge is a treat. Seeing deer right outside your door is unique. Food, service and amenities are great. There is a rich sense of history. A connection to the past but still modern.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 24 April 2014

THis is the best place to stay for families. with the kids eat free program 5 and under, or half price 6-12, it is cheaper than going into town and so convenient. the grounds overlooking the lake are probably the most beautiful sights in Jasper National Park. It is truly a wonderful locationl

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2014

No matter what time of year, the Jasper Park Lodge is a pleasure to stay at. If you want the feeling of a cottage, but want the luxuries of home, this is for you. The best though are the staff who go out of their way to ensure you feel pampered.
Their outdoor pool is even better when the weather is not so nice, winter, spring and fall. Such a pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Feast_for_senses
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I were looking for a quite weekend to relax. The Jasper Park Lodge is beautiful however not well kept and service is lacking. No hot water and hairdryer not working. Poor service attitude at the restaurant. The grounds are beautiful. It is unfortunate that it is not the "Fairmont" standard. I have stayed on other properties and the service was impeccable! We won't be returning to this property.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Matthew U
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I am a President's Club member. My family booked 3 nights over Easter weekend. It was an incredible holiday. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a valet rep. He was very helpful. We were exhausted from driving for 7 hours with our two year old, and we forgot the diaper bag. He hurried back to the car and grabbed the bag. He also brought our extra package of diapers and our daughter's doll. We stayed in the main lodge on the second floor facing the lake. We had a nice balcony with a grand view. We ate supper at Cavell's and our server Karin was excellent as well as Wolf. Karin is very knowledgeable about the various types of wine on the menu and he was very helpful in answering all of my questions.The next day we enjoyed a stroll around the lake and a swim in the heated outdoor pool. The lady working at the desk at the pool is amazing. She also read stories to the children in the evening. That evening my husband and I had a sitter while we went to the Easter Feast. Hailey was an absolute doll! She brought a stuffed lamb for our daughter and some crafts. The meal was excellent. The rosemary turkey breast was delicious. We grabbed a drink at Tent City Pub afterwards. On Sunday morning I went to the spa for a massage. Jamie Lee was very professional. The next day there were scads of Easter activities for our little girl. She had a ball! My hubby and I had Afternoon Tea at Cavell's. We were served by Steven and ?Ana. Both were just delightful. She was being trained by Steven.The tea was so grand. We loved every little detail. Every staff member I encountered was very warm, and helpful. Each person would go out of their way to ensure all of your needs were met. The only bit I was disappointed in was the Emerald Lounge. The staff do not seem as attentive to detail there. I am unsure why this would be the case. To me, it should be a gem as it is at the heart of the hotel. We ordered nachos which were burned, had to ask for cutlery, and the table was never cleaned from the previous customer. My husband spoke to a manager about this and it was dealt with promptly and professionally. I made note over our stay as I passed through that area, and it was just not up to the standard of the other dining areas in the hotel. That being said, my husband and I stopped there for a cocktail on Sunday afternoon and the service was exceptional. There as a gentlemen playing the piano and taking requests. We would love to return to this hotel this summer. I have been to 3 other Fairmont properties and this one is definitely my favourite so far.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AmandaWild
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear AmandaWild,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are so delighted you and your family had such a memorable Easter weekend with us. We will make sure to pass along all your kind comments to the staff that stood out during your stay. Our sincere apologies that your meal at the Emerald Lounge was not up to our usual high standards but are happy you brought this to our managers attention and it was dealt with promptly and professionally. We hope to get the chance to welcome you and your family back this summer! Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.