“Over Priced”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed at the JPL lodge a couple times and I have to say, each time I'm a little more disappointed. The last time was for my Mom's 65 birthday and I was treating her and a friend to a weekend at JPL. I pre-booked massages and specifically asked for female therapists at the time of booking. My mom is called up and it's a male therapist which was incredibly uncomfortable for my Mom. The spa is supposed to provide light refreshments and when we went to wait for our treatments to begin, we were hoping to have a cup of tea, or coffee, and there was nothing in the spa lounge to drink. I asked about this and got a snarky response "you are welcome to order from the menu"! Then we had dinner at the Moose's Nook, the food was good, but the portions were so tiny, that the mashed potatoes underneath the tiny steak was pretty much non-existent. Very disappointed. I wrote to the JPL manager and let them know this and after dropping over $1200 on the weekend, I did not get a call, or a response to my email. That will be the last time I spend one penny at JPL...and you have the manager to thank for that!

I do want to point out that the service we received in the Moose's Nook was exceptional. Our waiter was attentive and understanding when I told him he needs bring out more potatoes' for my mother's steak and I don't expect to be charged for it. To which he agreed.

My message to JPL, when you have clients spending the kind of money it takes to fully experience what JPL has to offer, responding to complaints should be a priority.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alison B

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Have recently returned from Canada and spent 2 nights at this resort. It was a wonderful experience.

Check in & check out were very well handled and spent no time in queues, The cabins are very well appointed although from the outside they do not look all that welcoming. Once inside though they are very roomy with all that could be asked for. Great nights sleep on comfortable beds. In the afternoon you even get caribou grazing at your frony and back doors to the cabins. A great sight.

We ate in the restaurant in the main lodge. This was a fantastic meal, lovely food and great wine list, let down a little by inexperienced wait staff, although it did not spoil the night.

Breakfast is wonderful with fantastic views of the lake. Plenty of variety for food and all of high quality.

There is a heated pool and gym although did not use these. We did hire mountain bikes and had a great time exploring around the resort and rode into Jasper for morning coffee. Not very far and on paths a lot of the way.

Could have spent more time here. Would highly recomend.

Room Tip: All rooms are spread over the property so no real advantage that I can see.
1  Thank Graham M
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The service was excellent on every level and the facilities were amazing as was the room .the bed and linens were most luxurious and definitely home away from home. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay but definitely stay longer next time.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent two nights at the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, the hotel is set in a beautiful location, our room was in the main lodge with views over the lake to the mountains. On a short walk from the hotel we encountered Elk and Deer grazing amongst the lodge cabins. The facilities were excellent with a golf course and a charming open air pool. The hotel had a slightly faded air, but this only enhanced its charm. We ate in the bar/lounge area from a very good menu, the food was first rate, however the service did suffer due to a large influx of tour party guests. I pre-booked breakfast which was from a very extensive buffet, unfortunately once again the breakfast room was overrun by a large tour party. I feel the hotel could have looked to make better catering arrangements differentiating between touring parties and individual guests. The staff were helpful and engaging and possessed good local knowledge which they were keen to share. The lodge cabins ranged from the delightful to what appeared to be relocated army barracks. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and Jasper was a true delight.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms overlooking the lake would appear to offer the best views and you are on site for al...
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Excellent service, lovely atmosphere, lots of activities (boats, bikes, golf, hikes, pool, spa, etc), and a variety of dining experiences. It's a worthwhile treat to stay here, and we will do so again. The attention to detail supercedes other Jasper hotels.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked this based on the "Fairmont" name - the location was great. The lodge is quite old and worn (out). The rooms in the lodge were 60's era and showed their age - clean but worn and quite small.
For those with limited mobility - not handicaped - beware, stairs are everywhere and distances to the elevators are large.
From conversations with former staff living in Jasper - it seems that multiple owners have pulled profit out to the expense of the upkeep of this lovely lodge.

Room Tip: rooms in lodge facing lake and mountains had nice view - no privacy as balcony is shared.
1  Thank ken c
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Ken c,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We apologize that the lodge did not meet your expectations. We certainly agree that our cabins are spread out amongst our beautiful property and can be upwards from a 5 to 7 minute walk to the main building. We do offer 24 hour complimentary door to door shuttle service provided by our friendly guest services team. Our main lodge is also equipped with accessible rooms located on the main floor of the Lodge making it easier for our guests with limited mobility. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future! Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge has a completely different vibe compared to its Fairmont stablemates in the Canadian Rockies. Whereas the latter are large and visually impressive, but also overwhelmed with day trippers and packaged tour groups, the JPL is more laid-back and relaxing. Certainly, the JPL is used by tour groups, but due to its spread out design, it never feels crowded.
The JPL is built around a central building containing the reception, restaurants, bars, shops and a number of rooms. The rest of the facility consists of a large number of separate lodges clustered around the lake. These lodges have a differing number of suites, some are of an older style, others are newer or being in the process of being renovated.
The JPL is virtually surrounded by its golf course and the lake, so it is a beautiful place to simply wander around, hire a bicycle or paddle a canoe. You could even play golf!
The JPL is several kilometres outside Jasper and thus if you want to have some drinks with your meals, you either have to use the hotel's restaurants (which are good, if a little bit pricey) or catch a cab.
A couple of comments. Firstly, in my view a 4 pm check in is pretty late as it is. Unfortunately, my room wasn't ready until 5.45pm even though I'd previously informed the hotel of my intended arrival time. To their credit, the staff provided me with a free drink (and naturally I took advantage by choosing the most expensive option on the wine list!) and later reimbursed by bar tab at dinner. The point is, this should not have happened in the first place.
Secondly, due to the narrowness of the access roads, you may need to park your car some distance away from your suite. This may necessitate carrying your luggage down paths and across lawns.

Room Tip: The lake view suites are worth the extra cost simply because of their ambience. Some have small pati...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo