“Luxury Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Luxury Stay!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I think I've now stayed here 4 times and each time is better than the last!

Yes. It's pricey. Is it worth what they charge? Probably not,
Do I have a problem paying these prices? No.

From the moment you pull up to the front lobby you're treated like a long lost friend.
So helpful and friendly.

And the views? Nothing like them and they make the costs worthwhile in my experience.
I'm normally a camper, and have stayed in Jasper at least two times every year.
Every once in a while though I treat myself to JPL

This last stay I was here by myself with one of my 3 dogs. It is a VERY dog friendly resort.
Yes, they charge extra for the dog but that's understandable as they clean the room
thoroughly before the next guest uses the room. And a portion of that fee goes to a donation
to the local SPCA so that's ok by me! They provided me with a dog sitter when I enjoyed a massage at the spa for an hour too! I wish more hotels realized that most pet owners are responsible for their pets in hotel rooms and extended their pet policies the way JPL does!

I was also super impressed with all the initiatives in making JPL as eco friendly as they do. That's also important to me as a guest who cares about the environment.

All the services were great but especially the food and staff from room service. Such great staff here!

Only two minor negatives on my stay this time, One was I never got any housecleaning done in my 3 day stay. Saw them in connecting rooms but never once did a staff member even knock on my door to ask if I needed anything.

The other was the huge amount of trouble just trying to pay with my stay in cash! I booked the room online using a credit card but told them when I checked in I did not want anything charged to the card and I would be paying cash for it all. It caused problems throughout my stay with things such as room service refusing to charge meals to my room. I even went to the front desk and left a hefty deposit and the problem wasn't rectified until the day before I departed. It's sad that cash is so hard to use these days!!

In the scheme of things though, these were minor inconveniences.

I WILL be back again soon as it's lovely to spoil yourself here every once in a while!

Room Tip: Try to get one of the cabins/rooms along the lake front. Extra money, but worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi Sam_W_Canada, thank you for posting your review. We're thrilled to hear about your stay with us and that we are consistently able to make you feel so at home. You're right - we do love dogs here at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge - after all, they're part of the family. We are of course very disappointed to hear that you did face some challenges and for this we truly apologize. Your comments are valuable to us and have been passed on to the appropriate teams for review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you (and your dogs) back again soon. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We traveled through the Canadian Rockies and stayed at a number of the Fairmont properties - Banff and Lake Louise - but our favorite was Jasper. Tremendous number of activities for the family - canoeing or kayaking on Lac Beauvert, fly fishing on Lake Maligne, White Water Rafting on the Athabasca, Hiking or Biking the trails,etc. This place was far less crowed than the other Fairmont properties - a key to relaxing. The cabins are cozy and if you can get one on the water front (600 series) its a bonus as they have A/C in the family room and given the beautiful weather it was worth it. Needless to say the ride up the parkway is spectacular and well worth the time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear 128George - thank you for your comments, and for naming us your favourite Fairmont hotel in the Rockies! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time exploring the area. We hope to see you back again in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I'm at the Jasper Park Lodge as I type this. I booked this hotel for 2 nights thinking I deserve to splurge since my niece is getting married here. OMG!!! this place is a hell hole. Don't believe their website when it says luxury because it is far from it. For 500 bucks a night you would think that they would actually clean the rooms. Its is filthy. I don't even want my dog to sleep on the floor. The lights in the bathroom are furry (with dust) there is something unidentifiable on the curtains. The heaters are falling apart and the closest door edges are caked with filth.The is no air conditioning whatsoever unless you call a small dirty fan A/C. The parking is horrific. I can only imagine how clean the food service areas are if the rooms are this bad. Save your money people. Learn from my huge mistake.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susy E
FairmontJPL, Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear susy E,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your constructive feedback in regards to your stay with us. Your comments have been communicated to the concerned departments to ensure we do not repeat such occurrences. After further investigation of your recent stay we understand you brought your concerns to our Assistant Front Office Manager. We believe you were provided with fair compensation for the malfunctions in your guest room. If you wish to discuss this in greater detail please do not hesitate to contact us directly at jasperparklodge@fairmont.com. It is with comments such as yours that allow us to continuously improve our offerings and we hope to welcome you back for a chance to create a more positive, memorable experience. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels

South Colton, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Loved staying at the Fairmont in Jasper Park! What a beautiful view of the lake - so colorful. Our room was not huge but was perfect for us for the amount of time we stayed there. Had a balcony and could see a little bit of the lake. Breakfast buffet was very good. All places to dine were rather expensive but the décor was perfect. We stayed 2 nights and it was very restful. A nice place to start exploring the park.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lake - but will be more expensive.
Green Features: They participated in being green - all over the property.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Higgins66, thank you for your comments. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you again in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014

One expects a certain level from a Fairmont property. The Jasper Park lodge location is ideal and the main lodge with floor to ceiling views are grand. However, I was very disappointed with the room. The room was very warm (no air conditioning). The windows were such that they do not let air flow in. The room has a back door and a front door with screens in them. We would have left them open but there was a good inch opening on the bottom of each door. Anything could have crawled in and some things did. I killed several creepy crawly things. If they would update their windows, doors and redid the bathrooms this review would say I would be coming back. We enjoyed our time hanging by the lake and dinner was excellent. Had excellent service as well.

Room Tip: I really enjoy the Fairmont chain and feel I just can't recommend what type of room would be acc...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Globetrotter91011,
Thank you for providing us feedback of your recent stay. We are happy you were able to enjoy the views from our main lodge. We are also pleased you experienced the great service we are known for. Please accept our apologies in regards to the condition of your guest room. Rest assured your comments are taken seriously and have been passed along to our management team for further investigation. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
Cheshire
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I travelled to Canada in June 2014 and stayed at several Fairmont hotels in Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff during our 24 day stay. We stayed in Jasper Park Lodge for 4 nights having travelled from Vancouver to Jasper on the Rocky Mountaineer. The weather was excellent and the scenery at Jasper Park breathtaking. Staff at the hotel were courteous, helpful and friendly. Accommodation however was disappointing and in stark contrast to the excellent accommodation provided at other Fairmont hotels. The rooms were reminiscent of an average quality, 1980s style motel. The bathroom and decor was dated and the absence of A/C or adequate ventilation made the cabin style rooms very stuffy and uncomfortable during day and night. There was ample free parking around the hotel and as "President Club" members we were eligible for free WiFi. An outdoor pool and the main restaurant overlooked the lake and snow capped mountains. The quality of the food at the hotel was good although not cheap. Would I stay at Jasper Park again? Despite the beautiful location and excellent staff - no! For the price tag and Fairmont reputation the accommodation should be upgraded and cabins provided with adequate temperature control.

Green Features: This hotel had environmentally friendly practices regarding linen reuse and low energy lightbulbs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gutman10,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We are thrilled you were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery that surrounds Jasper National Park – good weather always helps too! We are also happy you were provided with the great service we are known for. Please accept our most sincere apologies your guest room did not meet your expectations. We can appreciate that some areas of the hotel are older than others and would benefit from updated décor. As you touch on, we are in the process of addressing this through renovations and we hope for an opportunity to showcase these renovations to you in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

On a trip travelling through the Rookies working our way from Calvary to Vancouver. Have stayed in numerous hotels on the way and the Jasper Park Lodge is not a nice experience.

Our room was quite away from reception so had to drive and find a space in the limit parking. Followed the path from the car park to the room to discover the door had a double lock and we only had a 1 key for one lock. Had to trek back to reception to sort it out, they said they'd send somebody out. Waited for 20 minutes and nobody had arrived so had to call up reception from our mobile to get somebody out. When somebody came, turned out our room had 2 doors; a front and a back and the front door (the one the path went to from the car park!) only opens from the inside. Bell boy said this happens all the time... Sounds like there needs to be a process change and have reception inform guests that there a 2 doors to some room. If this was the case we would have realised straight away there was another entry into the room and it would of avoided all the issues.

Rooms are a bit old and dated but that didn't really bother me that much. The bed frame is rubbish and I stubbed my toe and banged my shins numerous times. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything in the next room, so thanks to the idiot next door for playing the banjo at 1am in the morning.

After sorting our room out it was 9.30pm so we went for a stroll in the grounds and end up in the lounge area. We were in there for approx 45 minutes and not once did anybody ask us if we wanted a drink from the bar - Nice service!

Paying for wifi is a joking, yes you can get it for free if you join the presidents club and are prepared to be email spammed, but why should I have to? Every other hotel on my trip has had free WiFi.

This hotel charges a premium but you get lower than standard service.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark V
Dear Mark V,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are terribly disappointed to hear that your stay was not as memorable as we would like. Clearly, several aspects of our services failed to meet your expectations during your visit with us and we are truly sorry. All feedback is welcomed and we strive to use every piece of feedback to continually improve our services and offerings. Your experience was in no way indicative of our normal level of quality and service and we hope that you may give us a second chance in the future. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.