“Very noisy”

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton, Canada
“Very noisy”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The hotel is quaint, lovely and in a great location, right in the middle of the town. The problem is, there is absolutely no sound insulation. The rooms are located right above a noisy, loud nightclub that closes late and have no qualms letting their very drunk patrons roam around the hotel yelling their hearts out in the middle of the night. We were unable to sleep until past 4 am.
The employees don't seem very concerned about the loudness either. A family arrived at 2 am with some very lively kids, and nobody even bothered asking them to keep quiet giving the hour. It feels like giving their guests a place to rest is not really the priority here.
Gorgeous place to look at if you're into old style hotels; nice restaurant too. But don't expect to get a good night of sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the back side of the hotel. Not as nice a view, but you might avoid some of the noi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Windermere, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Scenes from Stanley Kubrick's classic movie The Shining were filmed in the corridors of Banff Springs Hotel, but the real horror show is 3 hours north at Jasper's Athabasca Hotel. Just as vintage is a genteel way of saying used, heritage when applied to this inn is a euphemism for tattered, dank and old. This sad place was last refurbished when Nancy Reagan was picking out china for the White House. It may look quaint at first glance but try sleeping in a musty room on a broken down mattress with noise from the many area bars drifting in and absolutely no ventilation. We had to prop our tiny window open with the TV remote.

They tell you there's no A/C but forget to mention no elevator, no luggage carts, and no way to get out of the tiny shower without grabbing the toilet. Honestly you'd be better off at a youth hostel.

3 Thank JillSG2014

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This may be a boutique hotel in a third world country, but this here is a stretch.With global warming, they need to get air-conditioning. I am a family type of guy but this seems more of a hotel for partiers and drunks who will pass out no matter how bad the room conditions. The breakfast downstairs at the restaurant probably adequate for people with a hangover.

Room Tip: Maybe stay at the Fairmount
2 Thank Kyle G
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We tried to speak with the front desk at checkout about the heat and the noise making for our only miserable evening on an 11 night vacation(1 night spent in Jasper). A gentleman wearing a long sleeved yellow shirt with glasses at the front desk was prepped to answer that they couldn't control the weather and sound and there would be no discussion of any deduction off our bill. This was after I waited to speak as several couples before me were complaining.

After our vacation was complete, decided to contact the hotel and try to discuss again. I spoke with Assistant General Manager Murray Pigeon. I explained my case on the phone and he had accused my family of vomiting in his room and not informing them. I said he had us confused with some other room. Bottom line, he said that unless I could give other reasons besides the weather or noise which were out of his control, he would find it hard to give a refund or discount.

I took the time to email him after the call to lay out the reasons why I felt we were owed some consideration. I wrote that the hotel is advertised on the website as being boutique, charming, contemporary with modern amenities, remodeled with exceptional quality and comfort. My family saw it as cheap, shabby, tired and run-down(I have attached a picture of a blanket on the bed with a hole in it). My son sniffed and wheezed the entire next day of our trip whether it be from lack of sleep or mold-allergy related reasons. The beds were not comfy.

We were told at check in that there was parking in the back of hotel. Initially that was not true and I was lucky to get a spot on the street. I checked back 3 hours later and grabbed the only spot that had opened up. There was no luggage cart, so our roller suitcases were dirtied on the unpaved gravel lot.

Yes, the weather was hot, but the windows in the room hardly opened to allow for reasonable ventilation.

Since writing my email, could not get Murray to answer my email or take my call. They never intended to make it right despite my laying out reasons as he asked me to do, similar to the employee I dealt with at check out. This is a shrewd businessman who has numerous adds for employment help on the internet. It is possible that the hotel has a cash flow problem or high employment turnover.

My credit card company was kind enough to try and interfere on my behalf but Murray told his staff they weren't going to do anything and were not going to deal with me. I learned in this process that as a consumer, you need to try and leave the hotel immediately when you notice something doesn't feel right. Otherwise you have no recourse. However, the other hotels in town were sold out and we were in a foreign country, so there wasn't much else we could do.

We were not expecting this to be a four star hotel or better, but it was not worth $190 per night.The hotel and management is lacking in integrity. Save your $ and sleep in your car!! Any members of Trip Advisor are welcome to contact me about this experience.

3 Thank Sgood111
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed there two nights and enjoyed our stay. The room was rather small but we were in the room only to sleep. The hotel is convenient to down town and all the amenities. The price was fair. I would stay there again. I thought all the rooms were without bathrooms.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel, which is a throwback to older times. There is so much character in the hotel because of its history, but also mod cons in our two bedroom suite. We had read some bad reviews of the hotel regarding noise but we had three lovely nights of uninterrupted sleep and we loved Jasper and all that it had to offer including white water rafting, taking the cable car to Whistler Mountain and walking around the town on walking trails with good signage. Definitely recommend Jasper as a stop on a tour of the Canadian Rockies and it would be hard to find a more central location that the Athabasca. It was a lovely break from the more modern hotels we stayed in during our tour and the bar was lovely and service was great.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel which is very central for everything in Jasper. I had a room that had an en-suite. I don't think I would have liked the idea of going down the corridor for the shower and toilet, even if it was slightly cheaper. I had a problem with the height of the bed - I'm only short and the height of the bed was level with my waist!!! So be warned if you are given room 115. I also found it quite noisy, as my room was on the front of the hotel and people were standing outside the bar area - but this didn't go on too late.
Overall, I would certainly stay here again if I ever visit Jasper again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends