Maligne Lodge
  • Pool
US$87
US$130
Hotwire.com
All reviewsbeds were comfortablethe outdoor hot tubpleasant stayfull kitchenseparate bedroomcoffee makerjasper national parkwickedaccommodationsedmontonmountainsqueenhikingfireplace
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We're not fussy travellers, we're pretty much ok with a comfy bed and clean bathroom.

Maligne Lodge delivered in many ways. We only booked via phone the morning of our stay, and they were able to give us a good rate on a downstairs room with two double beds. The staff were friendly and helpful, and made us feel welcome upon arrival.

The room was clean (as was the bathroom) and nicely furnished. The beds were really comfy, and they had comfortable pillows. The included wifi was also reliable, if not particularly quick.

However, being a Friday night in March, the Hotel was obviously quite busy. The courtyard filled up with SUV's, which were parked RIGHT outside your door. With up to 50 cars tightly packed into an icy, shared common space, this got very noisy on a Friday night. We also heard the people above us very clearly at 2am when they got in (even the 'clomp', 'clomp' of shoes falling on the floor, and water in the pipes from other showers was very loud in our room.

Lastly, our room was terribly hot. We tuned the thermostat right down, but it remained unbearable all night. We had to open the one window to our room, and this invited all of the noise of the full hotel and courtyard into our room (and it got down to -12, that's how hot our room was!). I would totally ask for a top floor room facing outwards next time!

Overall a good place, with some drawbacks that affected sleep, but we were glad that we were only there for one night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This is the third year in a row that we have used this hotel. We love it! Perfect for families. Great pool and hot tub. Friendly & helpful staff. The rooms are clean & warm and the beds are very comfortable. You could pay a lot more and get less. There is a suite that is above the check in desk. It is awesome, make sure to ask for it - if it is available. You won't be sorry. The breakfast was great, the kids loved it.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We went to Jasper on a ski weekend and there was 12 of us. The rooms were well equiped for what we needed. The hot tube was definately not big enough for a lodge that was full which was disappointing. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again and recommend it to any one going to Jasper as a group or family.
One of the ladies was in a wheel chair and had no issues at all.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This hotel got me the best rate among hotels so I decided to stay here.

Pros:
-Clean
-Very comfortable beds/pillows
-Friendly service

Cons:
-Shower temp - Shower would give extreme hot/cold spurts randomly and inconsistently, but often enough to make it annoying. Might go 1 min of regular temp then bam, super hot. At times it would fluctuate between luke warm and cold every 5 seconds for 5 minutes straight. Then back to reg temp for 1 minute, then scalding hot, and so on (randomly mind you). After a cold day of snowshoeing I just wanted to stand in a hot shower for a good 15-20 min but could not. Was pretty annoying.

-Room temp - At one point the temp in my room was 17 degrees. The heat was turned up but nothing doing. I ended up placing a towel at the bottom of the door as a lot of cold air was getting in via that route. That helped. Thank goodness the bed was comfy and warm!

-The free wifi was very slow and would disconnect/reconnect quite often. I tried watching a youtube vid and felt like I was back in the days of dialup! I ended up using the 3g on my phone instead.

These are things I could have gone to the desk with (and should have) but in my opinion there wouldn't have been much the hotel could have done to resolve the issues while I was there. Def should have said something though morning of leaving but it slipped my mind.

Room Tip: When you get into the room, see if theres a large crack under door to allow cold air in, run the shower for 3 min and see if you get temp swings. If so, try a diff room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I got great deal on a mid week ski package for $122 after taxes, compared to the lowest price I could find online for a hotel in town was $89 plus tax for hotel only (plus $76 for lift pass).
The room was very clean and well furnished and maintained, most of the room was taken up by the very comfy king size bed, but it was still big enough for one. It is a motel style hotel, with the doors leading to outside instead of inside corridors, which was a little noisy, but as I'm a light sleeper I always make a habbit of sleeping with ear plugs. The pool and hot tub looked very nice and well maintained, I will remember to bring my bathing suit next time.
Overall its a great hotel for the money. Definately not 5 star but I've stayed in a lot worse for alot more.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo