“clean and quiet”
Review of Maligne Lodge

Maligne Lodge
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed 29 November 2013

the motel was quiet because of the time of year, but i enjoyed my stay. the room is away from the strip of restaurants so if you enjoy being out of the center, it is a good option. 5 minute walk from the shops. we had a king size bed; the mattress was fine but the pillows were extremely uncomfortable. i avoided the hot tub because every time i looked there was 6 people in it. very very clean rooms!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Yes we are a great location with easy access to shops and entertainment. I am glad that you found our rooms very clean and that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing again on your next visit to Jasper.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This place doubles in prices in the summer, therefore I would never book it during this time as it's not worth that kind of money. But this hotel is normally pretty cheap during the winter, staff is friendly, good ski and stay deals, small but nice hot tub, ncie rooms. It's my go to place for skiing season.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Maligne Lodge. It is great to read that we are your "go to place for skiing" and that you took advantage of our excellent ski package deals. My friendly and helpful staff hope to host you again on your next ski vacation in Jasper.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Jasper is an expensive town for any accommodations, and looking for a cost-effective option as a solo traveler just staying one night, I located this property on-line. I was forewarned with the less-than-positive reviews but they had an $89 TripAdvisor special going for October, so I called and booked it. I did find them to be "nickel-and-dimey" in requiring full non-refundable pre-payment in order to book this rate, and they were completely inflexible about it on the phone even though I implied I was shopping around.

The nickel-and-dimey attitude continued upon check-in, where they have you initial a sheet 3 times: You will agree to pay if you smoke, have pets, or damage anything in the room. Well, I arrived in my room, and the phone message light was flashing but there were no messages. I was not willing to have that light flashing all night, so I called to see if they could turn it off. They didn't know how, and offered to move me to another room, but I had already settled in. Then, the windows shade wand came off in my hand. I called again and told them I was concerned they would charge me for "breaking" something in the room, so they sent someone up to verify my complaints. I totally felt "guilty until proven innocent". The kid they sent up agreed these were not my fault (again, imagine feeling treated like this), and I just unplugged the phone for the night to solve the light issue.

On the plus side (why they still get 3 (average) stars): The bed was comfortable, the plumbing was all good, and it was clean and I slept well.

Still, due to this management attitude, I would not stay here again and would not recommend unless budget is your primary concern.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DaveR19
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I glad to read that you had a good sleep and that you found our beds comfortable. Non-refundable rates are standard throughout the industry and are therefore highly discounted. Your comments regarding the "attitude" you received from the staff have been brought to the attention of my Assistant Manager and we will ensure that this is rectified.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Very comfortable, affordable hotel in the heart of the Rockies. Who could ask for better! Hotel staff courteous, large, clean room, comfortable beds, quiet location just far enough from "downtown" but close enough to walk. Free parking, indoor pool access via outside. Would def recommend.

Room Tip: Bigger suites have access to indoor pool from inside the hotel; whereas single rooms must enter the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LuvdaRockies

We appreciate you sharing your kind words on Trip Advisor. It is great to know that we fulfilled your every need with friendly service and a clean room. Customer satisfaction is a practice that we take very seriously at the Maligne Lodge and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again. Thank you for the recommendation.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Maligne Lodge is unfortunately, at best, a very average, overpriced motel located at the end of Connaught Drive in Jasper. The room was "snug" with not a lot of room to unpack suitcases and the shower, whilst warm and powerful, dripped all night which was noticeable even with the door shut. The on site restaurant however gave a very good value breakfast at $12 per person with kids eating free.
This motel is very basic, and we would not stay here again. Jasper is a VERY expensive town for accommodations, but pay a little extra and try elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

We are very glad to have been a part of your Canadian Rockies adventure. We are truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay with us. Please be assured that we consistently do rate comparisons with other hotels in Jasper to ensure that we remain competitive. Thank you for posting your comments. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Maybe you're like me. You really aren't too concerned about the decor. A quiet place and a comfortable bed in a clean affordable room is what matters. Well, I really liked the Maligne Lodge in Jasper. There were little amenities that really mattered to me. Like Laundry facilities. And the use of a computer for free. And a really friendly and helpful staff. And the use of a microwave in the lobby. The breakfast was overpriced and really bad. If you want something affordable go to the A&W about three blocks away. It's not in a steam tray and is cooked fresh.

Room Tip: I don't know if they have a fitness room or room service.Really don't need a fitness room...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at the Maligne Lodge. It is our top priority to provide our guests with a positive experience while visiting us and we thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maligne Lodge on your next vacation to the Canadian Rockies.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stopped at this hotel as part of a weekend get away. Since we spent most of our time outdoors we were not in the hotel room very much. We did however love the beds and the size of the room. The hotel from the outside is older but the rooms are fresh and updated. We will for sure be staying there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. It's always great to read feedback from our guests. Should you find yourself back in Jasper, we hope to have you as our guest. Please contact me directly so that I can assist with the planning of your next visit.