“Very Clean”
Review of Maligne Lodge

Maligne Lodge
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a wonderful stay here. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was spotlessly clean. The beds are sooooooooooooo comfortable. We had a kitchen suite which was well equipped. The room was well maintained and a nice place to "come home to" after a fabulous day in the mountains.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Elisabeth B, Owner at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

It is always nice to hear positive comments about our friendly staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds. I am delighted to read that you found your stay "a nice place to come home to". All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home found memories of your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The service staff was good, they were friendly and helpful. Everything else was not the greatest. We had two rooms one a suite with a kitchen and one a two bed standard room. We were unable to be located in the same building the staff explained "because we have different room types". Our room faced the pool, door and all, so we had no access to outside fresh air through our room. It got very hot in there and the air conditioning was not helpful at all in cooling the room down. The pictures for our room online were very deceiving. The suite is a lot smaller than it seemed and everything is quite outdated. If we had payed a more reasonable fee I would have been okay with that but it was quite expensive for such accommodations. The hot tub is small and dirty as well and always over crowded. it is located at the edge of Jasper but we had no problem walking to downtown a quick 15-20 mins away. I would not recommended this place to a friend.

• Stayed: December 2013
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Maligne Lodge. I appreciate your comments about the friendly and helpful service you received from the staff. Although we do try our best to locate guests in the same building when requested, depending on the room type reserved it is not always possible to puts guests into the same building. As we do have various different room types and styles, the images on our website are a representation and consequently a notation is posted to that effect, which is standard practice in the hotel industry. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and hopefully we can look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Jasper.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Very upset we stayed at this lodge during Christmas. Called many times in advance to find out what stores would be open and if their restaurant was open too. Was assured they had room service and a working restaurant..... However, there is only a breakfast restaurant that only has a small buffet. When asked if they had room service for the fifth time we were told that yes but not during breakfast because it is a buffet..... Haha that would mean NO because they close after breakfast!!! Never again!! Cold pool with people wearing outdoor dirty footwear inside. Stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Wolfey75

I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay at the Maligne Lodge. Please accept my apologies for the misleading information you received. Your comments have been discussed with the staff to ensure that information given to guests at any time is accurate. Thank for taking the time to post your comments and again, please accept my apologies.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

the motel was quiet because of the time of year, but i enjoyed my stay. the room is away from the strip of restaurants so if you enjoy being out of the center, it is a good option. 5 minute walk from the shops. we had a king size bed; the mattress was fine but the pillows were extremely uncomfortable. i avoided the hot tub because every time i looked there was 6 people in it. very very clean rooms!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Yes we are a great location with easy access to shops and entertainment. I am glad that you found our rooms very clean and that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing again on your next visit to Jasper.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This place doubles in prices in the summer, therefore I would never book it during this time as it's not worth that kind of money. But this hotel is normally pretty cheap during the winter, staff is friendly, good ski and stay deals, small but nice hot tub, ncie rooms. It's my go to place for skiing season.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Maligne Lodge. It is great to read that we are your "go to place for skiing" and that you took advantage of our excellent ski package deals. My friendly and helpful staff hope to host you again on your next ski vacation in Jasper.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Jasper is an expensive town for any accommodations, and looking for a cost-effective option as a solo traveler just staying one night, I located this property on-line. I was forewarned with the less-than-positive reviews but they had an $89 TripAdvisor special going for October, so I called and booked it. I did find them to be "nickel-and-dimey" in requiring full non-refundable pre-payment in order to book this rate, and they were completely inflexible about it on the phone even though I implied I was shopping around.

The nickel-and-dimey attitude continued upon check-in, where they have you initial a sheet 3 times: You will agree to pay if you smoke, have pets, or damage anything in the room. Well, I arrived in my room, and the phone message light was flashing but there were no messages. I was not willing to have that light flashing all night, so I called to see if they could turn it off. They didn't know how, and offered to move me to another room, but I had already settled in. Then, the windows shade wand came off in my hand. I called again and told them I was concerned they would charge me for "breaking" something in the room, so they sent someone up to verify my complaints. I totally felt "guilty until proven innocent". The kid they sent up agreed these were not my fault (again, imagine feeling treated like this), and I just unplugged the phone for the night to solve the light issue.

On the plus side (why they still get 3 (average) stars): The bed was comfortable, the plumbing was all good, and it was clean and I slept well.

Still, due to this management attitude, I would not stay here again and would not recommend unless budget is your primary concern.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DaveR19
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Maligne Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I glad to read that you had a good sleep and that you found our beds comfortable. Non-refundable rates are standard throughout the industry and are therefore highly discounted. Your comments regarding the "attitude" you received from the staff have been brought to the attention of my Assistant Manager and we will ensure that this is rectified.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Very comfortable, affordable hotel in the heart of the Rockies. Who could ask for better! Hotel staff courteous, large, clean room, comfortable beds, quiet location just far enough from "downtown" but close enough to walk. Free parking, indoor pool access via outside. Would def recommend.

Room Tip: Bigger suites have access to indoor pool from inside the hotel; whereas single rooms must enter the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LuvdaRockies

We appreciate you sharing your kind words on Trip Advisor. It is great to know that we fulfilled your every need with friendly service and a clean room. Customer satisfaction is a practice that we take very seriously at the Maligne Lodge and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again. Thank you for the recommendation.