“Great cozy place to stay, wonderful service!”

Overlander Mountain Lodge
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We only stayed here for one night, but wish we could have stayed longer. The accommodations were great, and the location was beautiful. They have a restaurant in the lodge that serves really great food, and the staff was friendly and helpful with all of our needs. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the back side of the lodge (not in a cottage) so had a great view of the moun...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed at the Overlander back in 2003 with my brother and his family and loved the spacious accommodations and subtle luxury. This August, when back in Alberta, my daughter and I rented a little cottage at the Lodge. The view both times was fantastic and the setting was quiet and rustic. The rooms were very clean and the beds quite comfortable. The gas fireplace was a lovely touch and helped warm up the room on the chilly nights. The staff were very courteous and the service excellent. The lack of WiFi in the room was troubling to my daughter, but I enjoyed sitting in the lounge with my laptop. The restaurant was a bit expensive, but overall I felt our Lodge stay was great value for the money.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We recently stayed at the Overlander, using a travelzoo voucher that I had purchased. It is a very out of the way location which can be a positive or negative depending on what type of experience you are looking for. There are no tvs in the rooms, which normally I would be fine with, however being so out of the way there is nothing to do in the evenings...it is bear country so I was definitely not going for a walk in the dark. An outdoor hot tub would be a nice touch there. The service in the morning for breakfast was very slow. The back breaker though was when we went to check out. The special events manager checked us out, telling us that we owed nothing as everything was covered in our package. We were just getting into our vehicle to leave and she came running to the vehicle like the hotel was on fire telling us the travelzoo package did not cover tax and we would have to come back in and pay $22 in taxes. I would think that management would know what promos are current and what those promos covered. It left us a lasting departing impression...and we would not return to this hotel. Furthermore, I was sent a survery to complete from the Overlander regarding our stay. Although I completed the survery with all of our thoughts and suggestions and the negative parts of our stay, we heard nothing back from the management aplogizing or feedback at all. Customer service seems to be non-existent at this hotel and we would not return. I get the feeling if you have any issues during your stay you will be out of luck!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ingrid M
GeneralManageroml, General Manager at Overlander Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy the stay at the lodge. As far as I can tell one of the problems was that you feel that there is nothing to do at night, we try to create an atmosphere where our guest see the lounge as their living from. We see a lot of our guest interact with each other and enjoying the common areas. I am sorry you did not experience it like that.

As far as the checkout procedure goes I would like to mention the following: the special events coordinator was helping checking guest out so that the checkout would go swift and would have you on your way as soon as possible. She made the mistake to say that you were squared up. A mistake that she admitted right away. She came to you because your package did not include taxes, something that is clearly stated in the travelzoo package that you purchased. Instead of having to contact you via phone or email, my manager told you she made a mistake and asked you to settle the taxes owed. She did not charge you extra or too much, she apologized several times for making that mistake and in my humble opinion did the right thing and after apologizing asked you to settle the amount that you owed the lodge.

We work hard to provide exceptional service and I am sorry that this has affected your stay with us.

Finally, the reason that I have not reacted to the survey was that I feel that we asked you to pay something you owed, even though we made the initial mistake to say that you were squared up, something that is completely normal.

Sincerely yours

P. Braspenning
General manager

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed for two night in a chalet. It was older but had been updated somewhat. The beds were very comfortable. The place was very clean and neat. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast both were very good with a good selection. The staff in all areas were very friendly, interested in your story ( where you are from, why you came to Jasper etc). There was also a wedding going on that weekend and they advised everything was top notch. we would go back again

Room Tip: We didn;t swim or use the fitness centre so cannot comment
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 September 2013

My husband and I returned for a second visit to the Overlander on a return trip from Vancouver. If you want to disconnect, no phone or tv in your room, then book this facility. If you want your evening meal prepared with the utmost care and quality ingredients; then book the dining room. If you expect customer service - staff here deliver. The only drawback in my mind is the fourplex lacks the level of soundproofing to ensure the quietest of stays. That being said, the folks who book into the lodge are not the party-types, so not much to worry about. The highway noise can be heard, but really not an issue overall.

Truly a charming must place to stay!

Mary P

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My family recently visited Jasper National Park, Canada. We stayed at the Overlander Mountain Lodge, Hinton, Alberta. The resort was beautiful and spacious for my family of 5. We took advantage of using the kitchen and laundry facilities right in our chalet. When planning the vacation, we thought the 30 minute ride east on Hwy16 to our lodging would become burdensome. Were we wrong! Along highway 16, between the town of Jasper and the Overlander, we saw the most wildlife. Huge bull elk, mountain goats, big horned sheep and a black bear were the highlights of our ride. We did enjoy a fabulous meal at the Stone Peak restaurant which is located in the Overlander’s main building. Since we were in the area for 4 days, we decided to continue east on Hwy16 to the town of Hinton for dinner one evening. While in town we discovered another hidden gem of the area, “The Beaver Boardwalk”. Located behind a residential area of town, the boardwalk is the best natural exhibit of beaver habitat. The boardwalk is a little less than 2 miles long and was built by community volunteers. We saw beavers in the brush chewing limbs then swimming with the limb to the dam. The up close view of beavers in their natural environment was spectacular. The walk was easy for any age and entertaining for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pat w
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Cozy atmosphere created both by the staff and surroundings. Nestled in the trees of the Rocky Mountains (Jasper), this lodge offers an exceptional guest experience.
Friendly staff and warm accommodations allow guests to experience what has become a tradition at this historic lodge.
Beds are very comfortable (down quilts); fireplace available and spectacular patio views afford one to experience of being in the mountains. Highly recommend watching the sunset from the Stone Peak restaurant (btw the chef makes outstanding soups).
Extremely clean and very well maintained grounds (manicured property).
HIGHLY RECOMMEND staying here.
HINT: Book one of their Packages - excellent value and very affordable.

JB & HV
Alberta residents (and definitely returning guests - year round)

Room Tip: If desire drive up access to room, book a room that is not in the main lodge. Otherwise, you need to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple