“Excellent weekend getaway!”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton AB
“Excellent weekend getaway!”
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This property was an excellent choice for an off season weekend getaway. My requests that I had put in with the hotel prior to my stay were honoured, which started off the weekend great. The hotel is in a prime location, within walking distance to everything in downtown Jasper. There is complementary WiFi for guests, there are 2 rooftop hot tubs, a sauna and they DO allow drinks out in the hot tubs! The hotel has a museum in the basement, which is free for guests which is good, because I would not pay the money to look at it. It's cute, but only occupies about 10 minutes of your time.

The price was decent because we went in the off season, but I believe it goes up considerably in the summer (to a point where I wouldn't pay that much to stay there in the summer.. but it is just so conveniently located).

There IS parking, but it is very limited. I was fortunately able to have a spot the entire weekend. There is parking on the street in front of the hotel, which is free for a good portion of the day.

My only complaint is that the walls are too thin, we were able to hear people walking around and talking (even quietly), even when placed in a quieter area of the hotel.

Overall though, it was a great weekend and I'd definitely return.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank p0nyb0y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Just been there the last week, and stayed for two days. Actually the trip was organized by the college where I study, and honestly I didn't expect so much from Whistler Inn .. I don't know why maybe after I saw some pics of the hotel and it gave me a feeling that the hotel has old rooms furniture. But when I first walked in there that feeling went away, it's a small and nice hotel .. with a good bar just next to the lobby. I haven't tried the Italian restaurant but it seemed good (Or actually it smelled good :D)

Rooms are clean and well heated, bathroom is also good with great shower. The view from the room is directly on the Rocky mountains.

The only thing that pissed me off, was when we wanted to use the hot tub in the upper floor, it was just closed that day because somebody broke the glass door :( .. what a bad luck I have, cos I wanted it so bad specially after a long snowboarding day ..

The hotel has skis and boards locker just in front of the backdoor, as taking the skis and boards into the hotel is not allowed. There is a great restaurant (I think its name is Smitties) which is just beside the hotel from the backdoor side .. they have great breakfast. Another restaurant is on the main road in Jasper, and it has a pizza slice red sign on the side of the restaurant .. they have burgers, sandwiches, pastas and pizza .. the best thing about this restaurant is that it's open till 2 AM! (In addition to that their for is great!)

I highly recommend this hotel .. :)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank URDeAD747
Alberta
Reviewed 18 February 2009

It was the second night of our honeymoon, and we were driving around Jasper stealing wireless internet signals to sneak peak at hotels late at night. After a few tries, we found this one had availability, so we thought to give it a try. Walking into the lobby, it felt cozy and rustic, great impression. The room price sounded fair, and when the desk staff found out it was our honeymoon they offered us a free drink in the lounge and to re-open the hottub he had just closed. We were exhausted and had to get up early, but the offer meant a lot in the way of customer service! Our room was completely different than those on the website.. it must have been a special suite or something, because it was phenomenal! Fuzzy bedding made it so warm, it had a fireplace, a balcony, and a very homey decor. The bathroom was small but clean and modern. I adored it. We took so many pictures of the room and then off the balcony cuz the view was great outside of the Jasper town. I think it was one of the few or the only rooms that had a balcony, and it was so worth it! I have such fond memories of this hotel and am wanting to plan a trip to come back. We had no problems here.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Red Deer
Reviewed 10 February 2009

We had a great stay at the Whistler's Inn despite a real adventure to get there. We had a bad accident on Icefields Parkway en route to Jasper. The Whistler's Inn's location and friendly staff were a real plus, following our misadventures between Wilcox Pass and the Icefields Centre. We found this hotel to be comfortable, clean and ideally located. The auto rentals, restaurants, banking and shops were an easy walk away. Plus, the ski shuttle arrived here later in its route. The hot tub was fun, fun, fun - despite having one of them closed down. If I had been travelling with my family, I would have been disappointed because the hot tub was basically a Frat Party. Overall, though, I was very pleased by my stay at the Whistler's Inn.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank CentralABFamily
Calgary
Reviewed 5 December 2008

Thought we were upgrading for a "nice" stay our last night in Jasper by booking a room here, instead of the motel we had been at.

Big Mistake.

The motel was nicer. This old dive is NOT worth the price, it is not worth staying here. The pictures we found on the web looked much nicer than the real thing, which had a funny old smell to it. The room was VERY small, it was clean enough, but just seemed sooooo old. The bed squeeked very loudly with even the slightest movement, it was laughably bad.

Save yourself the trouble, stay elsewhere - this dive is a definite step DOWN from a motel. Oh, and the pub downstairs was a real "salty" place (I mean the clientelle, not the food....). If you like pirates, bikers, or hobos, well then you'll be used to the smell of this hotel. Think old, bearded, tatooed, and kinda smelly. I can't explain it any clearer than that.

• Liked — Location is fantastic, too bad the hotel was sketchy.
  • Disliked — The staff, the broken hotub, the smell, the old creepy guys in the bar.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank surfair98

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels

London
Reviewed 5 December 2008

This is a great hotel. The rooms are a good size with really comfy beds and are very clean. If you're from North America, you'll probably think it's pretty basic and not that big. If you're from Europe you'll think the rooms are very spacious and it's above average for the money! The view from our room was incredible. We got there just as the sun was setting over the mountains through the huge windows of our room - perrfect!

The rooftop hot tubs are great - sitting warmly in the freezing cold air surrounded by the mountains is quite an experience. It also has a steam room and table and chairs in the 'spa' area which is a nice touch.

We didn't use the dining room, but we did go into the pub, which was great. Cheap good food, really cheap drink (well, compared to London!) and a nice atmosphere. Baseball and hockey on the screens - nice way to spend the evening.

The Rockwell paintings all around the hotel were a really nice touch, too.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. The car park isn't huge, but we got a space all but one time and there is street parking.

The thing about Jasper is that it's tiny. I mean, it makes Banff look like the centre of the universe! Whistlers is in a perfect location - just at the corner of the two main streets and almost opposite Earls (be sure to stop in for Clam Chowder and cocktails...!).

The restaurants vary in price quite a bit. We had a great meal in Something Special (something like like), but it cost about $60 each for two courses with a few drinks - a lot for Canada, but what you'd expect to pay in England anyway. BUT the food was AMAZING!!! The rib-eye steak was just incredible and worth every penny.

The Soft Rock cafe on Connaught Drive is great for breakfast and i'd really recommend it.

It's a great town and i'd absolutely recommend going to Jasper. If you want a decent hotel in a great location for not much money, Whistlers is perfect.

• Liked — Location and hot tubs
  • Disliked — Small car park
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Very centrally located the hotel had very friendly and helpful staff.

Although not part of the hotel the adjoining restaurant is well worth a visit.

We were given a large room near to the hot tubs/jacuzzi with two double beds at a very good rate. This seem to be offered as we enquired for a room directly with the hotel late in the afternoon.

Whilst parking is available in the hotel car park there isn't an issue with on-street parking next to the hotel. This hotel is also very handy for the train as the railway station is across the road.

Beware that the centre of Jasper seems to be a gathering place for an all night Elk party! It may be good for wildlife spotting but not necessarily for a good nights sleep.

• Liked — Location in the town
  • Disliked — Elks partying all night
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family