Bear Hill Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$180
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
Filia Inn(Jasper)
Official Site
All reviewshomemade granolaqueen cabinheritage log cabinsingle bedhot tub and saunagas fireplacecentral heatingbreakfast was excellentminute strolla lovely place to staythese cabinsstay there againcontinental breakfastwithin easy walking distancestayed here for nightswalk into townroom was clean and comfortable
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This place is amazing and an oasis in the high-priced hotel market in Jasper. We chose this hotel randomly from a brochure as the tourist info office was closing and other hotels we had called were booked solid. We would have preferred a cabin but we got the last room available, in the main building. It was so much better than we had expected. It had a skylight, gas fireplace and large bathroom with jacuzzi tub. The room was clean and comfortable and breakfast the next morning was very good and healthier than I expected (loved the fresh-baked muffins!). The last time we were in Jasper we stayed at the Sawridge Inn, which was adequate but overpriced. The Bear Lodge is shangri-la in comparison. I would definitely stay here next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gneissone
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We decided to spend a weekend in Jasper. We found the Bear Hill Lodge online and though it would be a nice, quiet change from the typical hotels found in Jasper. Upon arrival, we checked in and went to our room. The key front desk gave us didn't work to our room. We were let into our room afterwards and given a different key. Once we got inside the room, we noticed a few things that seemed a bit off. For one, the television set would not turn on. I then went to open the screen door that led outside to our deck area, and it fell off the hinges. It was obvious that whoever stayed in the room last had jammed the screen door back into place just enough so that it would cover the door, but not really work. Also, my girlfriend noticed that there was a mess on the floor. We looked at each other and even jokingly asked if we though housekeeping had even been in the room prior to us checking in. Needless to say, the room was not the best we've seen and in rough shape. We decided to go for dinner later that day. We walked back to the lodge later that evening after dinner, and it was quite cold out. Once we got to our room, I realized our new key was not working and that we were essentially locked out of our room, for the second time. We tried for about 20 minutes to get in with the new key, by jiggling the handle and turning the key, but nothing. At this point we were quite frustrated being it was cold outside, and we had just walked about a half hour to find we could not get into the room we were paying to stay in. I decided to walk back to the front desk to get some assistance and when I got there I realized it was closed. No one was working at night and I had no idea who to contact for help. A neighbor told me to go back to the front desk area and to pick up the phone on the wall outside and that it would get a hold of the manager. I did just that. A short while after the manager showed up. Right away we told him the problem, and said that we were frustrated because this was the second key we were given that did not work on our door. The manager at this point got upset and started raising his voice, became very confrontational and told us to come with him and that he’d let us in. Once the door opened to our room, the manager became very unpleasant and rude. He told us to shut up and that we had woken up our neighbor. I apologized and asked him to see things from our perspective, and to realize we were paying guests at his establishment and that we would appreciate if he could speak to us as respectfully as we were speaking to him. He then threatened to kick us out of the lodge for the night and told us he didn’t have anything left to say to us. Even when we asked him to calm down and to talk to us, he refused and he would simply walk away.
Then next morning we heard a knock at the door before check out time. It was the same manager from the night before. He told me that he would like to come into our room and inspect it for any damages. I was shocked and had asked him why and if this was a standard procedure he did with all his paying guests. He did not respond but simply said, “I will be back in 10 minutes.” Please note that we are adults wanting a quiet weekend together, not a group of loudmouthed, unruly delinquents partying until all hours of the night. If I recall, we were asleep that evening by midnight at the latest, and were up watching a movie. He returned at that time with another employee. I let them into our room without any hesitation. He came into our room, even though we were still paying to stay there until 11:00am. The manager then walked around the room very intrusively, inspecting it for damages. He checked all the areas of the room looked in the washroom, living area and kitchen, and then said that everything looked fine and that we were now free to check out of the lodge. We packed up our belongings, and checked out. While I checked out I even asked the employee at the front desk whether or not we would be compensated for the inconveniences’ we experienced with the room and manager. She apologized and said unfortunately not. I assured her we would not be staying at the lodge again and that it was due to her manager’s behavior. About a week or so later, I checked my credit card history and saw that the manager had placed a very significant additional charge on to my credit card without any approval on my behalf. I contacted the Lodge to inquire about the charge and was told it was for damages to the room. I had no idea what the manager was talking about refused to pay. I even reminded him that he insisted on checking our room for damages during our stay, which was very uncalled for and unorthodox, and even then, he told us the room was fine and we could check out. I contacted my credit card company, told them that this merchant was attempting to charge me for some damages he claims were done to the room during our stay, and resolved the issue. Needless to say, the money the manager tried taking off my card without any consent was returned to me. I have noticed that along with this review, there are several others on this site that complain about the establishment and the manager, stating he was confrontational and very unprofessional. This manager turned a romantic, relaxing weekend into a nightmare for us. I will never return to this establishment again, and will never recommend it to anyone. Jasper used to be our favorite spot on earth to visit. We even contemplated moving to Jasper eventually, but I can now say, that due to this one person and so called "managers" behaviour and direspectful manner, we will not. We haven't returned to Jasper since because he has ruined it the overall experience for us. I'm sure one day we will return to Jasper, but I will be sure to stay at an establishment that demonstrates professionalism and respect for their guests.This manager made us feel threatened and has really changed our perspective and how we feel towards Jasper now. Its too bad that in situations like this, it only takes that one individual to ruin it for everyone. Please think twice, or even three times before thinking of staying here.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank deVonder
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We stayed three nights in the Bear Hill Lodge, we were in cabin 19. Each cabin has it's own allocated car parking which is good.

Our cabin had two beds, one double and one single, the single was good for the cases. There was a shelf with a hanging rail underneath for jackets and the like. The bathroom was a good size and very clean. In the corner by the door was a gas fire which would switch on automatically depending on where you set the thermostat on the wall.

Some of the cabins had a kitchenette, ours didn't (so breakfast was included), which we knew when we booked. On the table in the corner was a coffee machine with coffee. We had our breakfast in the dining room which is in the main reception building. Breakfast was great, home cooked muffins, cereal, toast and coffee on tap plenty to fill yourself up for a day out walking. Also in this room was a little lounge with some local travel books.

We used the Hot Tub a couple of times, it's clean and towels are provided.

In terms of a walk from town then it was about 10 or 15 minutes depending on your route. From the back of the grounds you could also link up with the well sign posted 'round Jasper' local walk which we did.

On the last night a special guest (elk) arrived and started eating the plants in the garden, pretty special.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MJButler76
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Nice tiny hotel with cabins (we had a room over the main reception level though), near the beginning of Jasper city, let's say at a 10-15min. walking distance from the center of the town.
Staff could be nicer but breakfast is original and changes a lot from very traditional North-American breakfasts (I mean, no eggs, sausages, etc. "just" homemade and fresh pastries).
Air conditioning and ventilation system is very noisy though. There is finally a small jacuzzi and sauna, which are nice.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andliibertyforall
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Good sized cabin, roomy. Good kitchen facilities. Staff all friendly, pleasant, & helpful. Location good- can walk to downtown Jasper as well as close to hiking trails. Quiet too.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family