“Nice hotel - no complaints!”
Review of Tonquin Inn

Tonquin Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Galway, Ireland
“Nice hotel - no complaints!”
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of our Canadian honeymoon. It's a 10-15 minute walk into town from the hotel but it's a nice walk! At check in we were told that we could get breakfast for $12 instead of the usual $16 at the restaurant on site so that was good even though we didn't avail of it. The hotel was really quiet during our stay but then the whole town was quiet- apparently after thanksgiving everything pretty much shuts down 'til the ski season. Free wifi in rooms- always a plus.
Had a nice clean and modern room on ground floor right beside outdoor hot tubs! Room was a little stuffy at night but not too bad, nice big tv. Sink in room and not in bathroom. Had a lovely soak in the hot tub on our 2nd evening. Any staff we dealt with we're nice.
Enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to friends!

• Stayed October 2012
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Congratulations on your recent nuptials. I am delighted that you enjoyed the property with all of its amenities and that the staff met your expectations. Thank you for choosing the Tonquin Inn and allowing us to be part of your celebration. Be sure to contact me directly should you be coming to Jasper on your anniversary so that I can personally look after your reservation for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We arrived at the Tonquin Inn on September 9, 2012... Out of season maybe??? Don't know!
The room was smaller than expected but comfortable enough for just the two of us. The air conditioning unit is standing in the corner of the room turned towards the first bed and whoever gets that bed also gets the flow of air (cold or hot) right on their body and face. We were there for 2 nights and the room was never made up... So, it means that when we came back from visiting the beautiful little town on day two, we found the bed undone, the washroom not cleaned and the wet towels we had left behind after taking our shower in the morning. That also means the coffee bar had not been replenished. My husband had to go to the reception to get 2 bags of coffee as well as new towels and they didn't give him any 'facecloth'. The last morning we arrived to the restaurant downstairs for breakfast and were told that we had to rush to get something in the 'buffet' within 15 minutes because they were starting preparing for the lunch. It cost us $480.00 for the room - grossly overpriced.

Room Tip: The Tonquin is NOT centrally located and for us, seniors, it was a long walk from the shops, cafés...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
I appreciate your comments and feedback about your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am disappointed to hear that our housekeeping services were not up to the standard I expect for my guests. I will definitely address this with my housekeeping department, The restaurant is open for breakfast from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm, but as we do not manage the restaurant ourselves, I will pass on your comments to the Manager. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve on a return visit. Please contact me directly so that I can personally take care of your reservation for you.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed for only one night in a queen size room which looked to have been recently renovated. The room was small, but enough for one night and very clean. The gentleman that checked us in was lovely! He was able to provide some great information of the local area for us and told us of all the facilities at the hotel. The bed was comfy and we didn't hear any noise from other rooms. A lovely experience in Jasper.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
It;s always a pleasure to hear positive comments about the property in particular our renovated rooms, cleanliness and our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with my Front Desk and my Housekeeping Department. All of my staff and myself hope that you were able to take home found memories of your visit to Jasper and your stay at the Tonquin Inn.
GB
Reviewed 29 September 2012

When we got to the hotel at around eight both receptionists seemed to be quite fed up with all tourists and we got no other information than our room number. Next morning morning we found out that there was a restaurant serving also breakfast right next to the hotel, at that time we had already searched for one in the center (about one kilometer from the hotel). We payed another visit to the reception asking for other services and possible tips for our stay and this time we got a map of the area and basicly a suggestion to study it ourselves. Finally for the pros... the room was nice and quiet, small though, and location was ok though we were in the very eastern tip of town.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing the experience you had at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. I am, however, very disappointed about the service you received from my Front Desk staff. This is not the level of guest service I expect from my staff and I will definitely address this with my front desk department. Please be sure to contact me directly for your return visit and I will be sure to personally look after your reservation for you.
Salem
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We had corner unit with the step down living room. There was a real fireplace with couple of logs which we actually used. There is refrigerator and our kind size bed was superb. Although there was remodeling going one during our stay, our unit was very quiet. We were in Jasper during the longest day of the year and it was fascinating to join people strolling at 11 pm twilight.
We received breakfast coupons for the adjacent restaurant. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good, and well stocked. Luckily, we came in quite early, and just as we walked back to our table with loaded breakfast plate, the tour busses (yes, plural) arrived. The line was formed immediately, and there was no way to get any toast or whatever one forgot without cutting in line.
On the way out of town we found Bear Paw Bakery with excellent sandwiches to go.

Room Tip: Try the corner unit on the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
It's nice to see that you enjoyed our visit to Jasper. Jasper is a beautiful town and great for strolling at night. Did you know that Jasper has been designated as a Dark Skies Preserve, which is celebrated with a festival in October ? Our Junior Suites, all have fireplaces for guests to enjoy and we always get positive comments about our beds - very comfy! I look forward to your next visit.
Auckland
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Staff are very friendly, the hotel has good facilities, gym, hot pool etc. The rooms are quite good however the bathroom toilet is pretty small and it seems almost an afterthought. We got the rooms at around $120 a night so can’t complain for what we got.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room with 2 x double beds and see if you can get 2 queen beds.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Elisabeth B, Front Office Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
I appreciate your comments and feedback and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the staff and the great facilities we have at the hotel. Your point about the size of the room is well taken. We have many different room configurations and the staff is always available to explain the differences to ensure that we meet our guest's expectations. We look forward to serving you again on your next visit to Jasper. Please contact me directly to that I can personally look after your reservation for you.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I booked this hotel over expedia and originally booked a King Standard. However they had changed it to a Queen and I started out a bit peeved. Then we saw the room. It was a suite, complete with kitchen and living area. Yeah, I was no longer peeved. It was one of their remodeled rooms.

The staff was professional and nice.

Breakfast was so-so, fairly typical cafeteria style. Eggs were very strange.

One of the drawbacks was they wanted a credit card for checking in. Since I'm going completely credit card free, this is an issue. They wouldn't take a debit card (which was strange) and I didn't think about offering a cash deposit. This is a deal breaker, so I hope if I book another room, they will work with me.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you and that you enjoyed the upgrade that you were given. The suite you were in is one of my favourites. It is standard practice to ask for a credit card when making a reservation and upon check-in. We do accept cash at check-in but also require that a deposit be taken at the same time. I am somewhat surprised that you were not offered this option and will definitely address this with my Front Desk staff. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit and yes - we will accept cash. Please contact me direclty so that I can personally make your reservation for you.