“Disappointing ”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Edmonton
“Disappointing ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

We booked online..checkin was efficient, room only had one back window and our view consisted of another row of rooms, walls were paper thin, could hear anybody walking in other rooms and could even hear them using the bathroom facilities, floor was squeaky, TV went out just as we started to watch it and they couldn't fix it..gave us breakfast vouchers to make up for it. :/

Stayed March 2014
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is with valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to address the concerns of our guests as we continue to try and improve our product. Thank you for posting your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Tonquin Inn in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stay here purely for the room layout but I think this will be our last stay here. We have 2 small kids and the family suite works well for us. This stay however is very conclusive of not staying here again. The walls are paper thin, we can hear the niehbors having a shower. The bed when we arrived had hair under the pillows. Walls are filthy, the entire hotel need a remodel. Stay elsewhere if you can.

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for informing us of the issues you had with your room during your most recent stay. Your comments have been shared with our Housekeeping Department and our Maintenance Department for them to address the issues. Please be assured, that the issues regarding housekeeping are not indicative of the high standards we have set. We are constantly upgrading our product and your comments will be taken into consideration as we move forward.

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Tonquin had a deal with Sun Dog tours for the ice walk. Stay two nights and get a free ice walk for two adults. So we stayed.
All in all it was good, the rooms where modern, clean and all you need. The deal as such, was debatable. In the winter, a hotel in Jasper can be had for around $89 - $99 CDN as of this writing (March 2014). If you have a vehicle with you, then this is a fine place to stay, however, we took the train, and it was 1.5KM to the train station, and most of the places in town. Normally I wouldn't have an issue, but at -15 celcius with the wind blowing, it wasn't a fun walk.
Lol, when I registered, the desk clerk said I would have a room with a view. When we got there we were right beside the elevator with no view. That was the only real disappointment with the place, as I had been to Jasper many times and expected to be facing the mountains.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at the Tonquin Inn. I am glad to read that you found your room modern, clean and all you needed at the right price. Although we do not have a shuttle, we will reimburse a guest for their taxi fare from either the train station or the bus station, especially in -15 !!! We hope that we can welcome you back to the Tonquin Inn on your next visit to Jasper.
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed there over New Years for a snowboarding trip. Got a room with a king size bed which was comfy and the room was clean but that's about where the upsides end.
They had so much furniture packed in the room there was no place to put your suitcases and you could barely move around. Not well thought out, sometimes less is more and in this case they needed less furniture! The room seemed updated but the bathrooms were not, tile was peeling.
As for the indoor Hot tub, it felt like you were sharing a warm bath with strangers, it was a gross feeling. And after a long day on the slopes, I want to relax in a HOT tub not a giant public bathtub. We didn't get a chance to try the outdoor tub but were told it was packed full, being there was only one outside. Saunas were separate male female, NOT COOL either way we enjoyed the relaxing heat in the guys sauna with some others we met. and the kids running round splashing people in the hot tub is always irritating and un enjoyable, parents need to control there children or hotels need to have adult only hot tubs. They did not want you to bring towels from the room and we were told there would be towels there. There was not and when they did bring towels after a brief phone call, they only brought 3 or 4 which were gone in minutes resulting in phone call after phone call. The change rooms are right through the door so if your changing and someone walks in, anyone walking outside could see in. Again not well thought out. Parking was a pain that time of year. Lots of cars had to park on the street wherever they could find a spot. Didn't eat at the Prime Rib house but was told by locals they had the best. They also took forever to get our room ready, we had to leave and come back. For a place with a restaurant I would think for the price you pay a continental buffet, not breakfast, should be included.
I've stayed at highway side motels that I liked better then this place, only thing boosting it to an average rating in my book being the pool, tubs and saunas.
All in all we have no intentions of staying here again.

Room Tip: A room with a smaller bed MIGHT actually have a little more space to put your things. MAYBE...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We normally receive very positive comments from ourr guests about our property and our staff. It is valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to address concerns of our guests and we will certainly take your comments under consideration as we move forward.
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

This hotel is fine for a convenient place to stay while on a ski trip to Jasper, and the front desk staff was good. But the description from the hotel’s website: "All the cozy amenities and luxuries you might expect in high-end hotels can be found here at affordable rates" is greatly exaggerated and the rates I felt were too high for the quality of the suite, even given its location in Jasper. We have travelled around the world extensively, in a very wide range of accommodations so I think I have a good understanding of what should be expected for the price we paid in a destination like Jasper, and the description of the suite on the hotel website.
I read the Trip Advisor reviews for this hotel, and so we avoided a suite on the lower level (basement), and when I saw where it was I was really glad we had. While our suite had a balcony (that was so narrow you could barely open the door all the way), no outside chairs, and a terrible view, at least we were not eye level with car wheels. (I tried to find the Trip Advisor review today so that I could quote it correctly, but couldn’t find it……. has the hotel had it removed???)
We stayed in an Executive Suite (room #200), the description of the room on the hotel website indicated a “fully equipped kitchen” but it did not have a dishwasher (based on the description on the hotel’s website I wasn’t expecting to spend my getaway washing dishes), and the microwave was very small and not even in the kitchen (it was on the other side of kitchen wall, in the eating area). The suite did have a private in-room sauna, but it was in the washroom. There is only one washroom in the 2-bedroom suite, and in room #200 it was all in one space (no separate water closet or tub area) so having the sauna, tub, toilet, sink/vanity and sauna in one space was very awkward at times.
Our reservation was for 5 people, so I expected the room supplies and amenities to reflect this, but was disappointed to find only towels and amenities for 2 or 3 people.
The hotel website indicated the rooms had been recently renovated. While the suite looked to have been painted, and the washroom looked renovated, the furniture and fixtures were a very odd mix of new and very old. We enjoyed the fireplace, the kitchen and washroom were OK, but the other rooms were not. Almost none of the furniture matched and some of it was very old and not in good condition. It appeared that this suite was furnished using odd pieces of new furniture, with the rest being mismatched pieces left over from other rooms.
For instance the room with the king bed; The furniture was from at least 3 different sets. It had good closet space, but most of it was unusable because the night table (which did not match the bed) was in front of the small closet, and the dresser (which matched the nightstand but not the bed or bench at the foot of the bed, and was in VERY poor working condition) blocked opening half of the closet. (photos attached)
I noticed on Trip Advisor that the hotel manager had responded to some of the reviews and asked that guests should have contacted her with their concerns first. So I tried this within a day of our return home, what a waste of time…. Responses were very slow (several days between sending emails and getting a response), she did respond to my positive comments but ignored most of my concerns, and those she addressed were given a totally unacceptable response. To my comment regarding the mismatched furniture, some of which was in poor working condition she responded that they were meant to be “ eclectic”. I think I know what “eclectic” is, and this suite was just “mismatched”
I may or may not stay here again, but will defiantly not spend the money for a suite

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for posting such a thorough and helpful review of your stay at the Tonquin Inn. Responding to initial guest comments and concerns is very important to us. We received your first email on January 24, 2014 at 9:09 am and we responded on January 24,2014 at 9:49 am. As well, subsequent emails were responded to in a timely fashion. We are truly sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during your stay with us. As already mentioned, we take our guest comments very seriously and will take your comments into consideration as we continue to improve our property.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came for two nights just to get away from the city. We didnt book a room in advance, however this was not an issue. We arrives at 8pm, and the guy at the front desk was very friendly and helpful getting us a room and explaning the hotel grounds, services and hours. Our room was a standard room with one queen size bed. The room was overall very small but we didn't need much. The location was nice being only 5 ish minutes from main street. And the hotel lounge was quiet and decent.

However, I was not impressed by our stay. The light in our bathroom sucked. It either needs a new bulb or electrical work because it flickered and would take a while to turn on. Our room was FREEZING. My bf got up in the morning to take a hot shower because he couldn't feel his toes. Even with the extra blanket from the closet, it was still cold. There's an incredible draft from the door and what felt like no heat. There was also a constant sound of water running. At first I thought it was the toilet constantly running. I still dont know what it was but it was very irritating. Our second night, I hardly slept. The walls seem very thin...there was constant noises of vehicles starting, alarms going off, people yelling, people walking up as down stairs and you could hear the people in the next room everytime they showered or turned on water.

Overall, ive stayed in places quieter and warmer...but it wasn't an awful stay.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Amber S
Elisabeth B, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Tonquin Inn We are happy to hear the positive aspects of your stay - good location and helpful staff. We are disappointed to read your comments about the issues you had with your room. We have passed on your comments to our Maintenance Department for immediate corrective action where applicable. We take the comfort of our guest very seriously and when we are made aware of an issue a guest is having with their room, we make every effort to provide them with other accommodation if available. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We arrived after a long drive to find our booking had been cancelled! The internet company we used had gone bust, weeks before our holiday, and all their bookings were cancelled - and they didn't bother to inform us. Dave Stock, the front office supervisor, was clearly sympathetic and gave us a room anyway (at a discount). He and the Assistant General Manager - Clara Adriano - put together a document stating all the facts for us to use when we returned home to claim off our credit card. We duly did this and received a full refund within 2 weeks. The staff at the Tonquin could not have been more helpful!

The room we had was fine, standard sort of room we encountered in many places. The hotel has a large pool which we didn't use. It is within a reasonable (10 minute walk) of Jasper centre and is well situated. It's the quality of the staff that made it stand out for us!

Jeff and Megs B

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
"It's the quality of the staff that made it stand out for us" - that is quite the statement and one that I am very proud to hear. Customer service is a practice that we take very seriously at the Tonquin Inn. I am delighted to read that Dave and Clara were able to assist you with accommodation and were able to provide you with the documentation that you required. I have forwarded your comments to Dave and Clara on your behalf. All of the staff and management are glad that you were able to take home fond memories of your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Jasper.