“A very nice hotel with good facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tonquin Inn

Tonquin Inn
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
Great Britain
“A very nice hotel with good facilities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Although not in the centre of Jasper, this is a very nice hotel with good rooms and facilities. Remeber to ask about the Buffet Breakfast deal in the adjacent restaurant - cheaper if you book it at reception the night before.

Although there is a restaurant next door, there are many other good (and cheaper!) restaurants availble in the centre of Jasper, just a 15 minute walk away.

• Stayed October 2010
TIFOM, Front Office Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here and look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip through the Canadian Rockies!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grande Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

We liked the edge of town location of the hotel, and the staff at the front desk was friendly. When we checked in, the first thing I did (as I always do) was check the beds for bugs and cleanliness. No bugs were found, and one bed was good. The other bed however, was quite disgusting. The previous people must have had pets, for the pillows were covered in short dark hairs! You did not have to look hard to see them. I hated to be picky, and if we had not needed that bed- I would have kept quiet. However, I did not want to sleep in it, nor did I want my children sleeping in it. I called front desk and they had someone come check it out. He agreed that it was not acceptable, and removed the pillows from the room. He came back with clean bedding and pillows (or so I thought), and he had me come check it out when he was done. I found that the bottom of one pillow had dirty streaks, but I kept my mouth shut because that's the sort of person I am! lol. I hate to make a fuss. So anyway, we covered that pillow with a blanket we brought and we stayed. One positive thing I do have to say is that I found the beds to be extra comfy. I wouldv'e liked to bring it home! I have aches and pains due to Fibromyalgia, but this bed was very comfy to sleep in! :)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marjaydtt
TIFOM, Front Office Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2010
Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad to hear that the service at the Front Desk was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds. I apologise for the state of the second bed and have since brought this matter up with our Housekeeping Department. This is not something that is acceptable and I ensure you that this matter has been addressed. For further information on our comfy beds, please frequent our website as the Decore Store is coming soon.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

We booked because of good reviews on here and were disappointed, the rooms are old, tired and plain dirty, the staff are fine but the location is right on the edge of town, to be honest I think the standard is pretty low in Jasper so hotels just don't have to try too hard - all bad for the consumer but this place desreves to be nowhere near the top of the list. This place is really a dressed up motel with bad rooms, noisy pulic areas and noisy AC - best avoided.

The restaurant on the other hand is really quite good if a bit pricey, lovely steaks and good quality veg with an odd and slightly grumpy owner who kind of added to the experience - like it a lot

Rob

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Jasper hotels

Heilbronn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The Tonquin Inn has nice rooms, but also awful ones. So make sure when you book what kind of room you want. We had wanted a room with a kingbed, but were given a room of the size of a cupboard with a queenbed of kids size. This was the worst room we had during our 3-weeks-roundtrip through Canada. Upon our complaint, the very unmotivated staff told us that they are fully booked. In the very early morning a monotonous noise which nobody could specify, ended a horrible night. In the morning finally a very nice women at the reception told us that we would get another room for the second night, which turned out to be very nice and also had a kingbed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

My daughter and her boyfriend and myself stayed at ths inn on Sept. long week-end. Upon arrival everything appeared to bo clean. When awaking first morning I was concerned that my bed didn' seem clean. I noticed a spot of blood on the sheets and knew it wasn't from me,(or so I thought). We waited until after 5pm for them to put clean linnens on the bed.
We inspected the beds and they were white and clean so I felt more comfortable going to bed that night.The next morning after I showered I had another look at my bed to make sure nothing had changed. I pulled the covers back and the bed was full of blood spots!!Too many to count and a bedbug was crawling across the sheets! It was very disturbing and I have had nightmares everysince.
The hotel didn't charge us and they paid to have everything of ours drycleaned. It was a inconvenience in that we had to disinfect everything we had with us and deal with this unfortunate experience! The manager seemed very surprised and apologized.
Just a warning to check at any hotel you stay at, under the mattress, along the seems and the headboard. It will be a long time before I feel comfortable staying at any hotel again!!

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank taurus07
lissyb, General Manager at Tonquin Inn, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
As General Manager of the Tonquin Inn, I would like to express my sincere apologies for this incident and assure all our current and future guests that this is not a common occurrence at our hotel. We take the cleanliness of our rooms and comfort of our guests very seriously, and took immediate action to rectify this situatin internally as well as with the guest (as communicated in this posting).
Elisabeth Bahner
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

I had mixed feelings of staying here after reading reviews, but when we checked-in we were surprised. We had a renovated room on the ground level and it was nice. We had a room with 2 queen beds and a kitchenette. The beds were very comfy. The bathroom was alittle outdated, but other then that it was a good stay. I would ask for a renovated room if staying here though. We had supper at the lounge, it was great also breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Prince George, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed here because it looked inexpensive but pleasant and clean, and decided that we'd rather support what appeared to be a local business rather than another chain or franchise. Overall, it was good value for money and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple