“Hearty Breakfast and Great Service”

Smitty's Pancake House
Ranked #43 of 93 Restaurants in Jasper
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were craving a big, hearty, diner-style breakfast without any pretense and unnecessary garnish. We found it at Smitty's, which offers a family-friendly environment for a bone-warming breakfast. Coffee cup is filled often by an attentive and international staff. Food came quickly, piping hot, and in generous portion. My eyes were bigger than my stomach, but I still managed to eat everything with husband's help. Got the big breakfast with all types of meats (back bacon, sausage, ham), eggs done perfectly over easy, and home fries. He got a big stack of blueberry pancakes that came with fresh blueberry compost and whipped cream. Nothing fancy, but everything right! Provided the right amount of fuel for a long day of hiking.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

When in Jasper we eat here for breakfast. Service is always quick and food very good. Coffee cup is filled frequently by attentive staff. We will be returning to Jasper next year and recommend it highly for breakfast. Smitty's is a chain in Canada and we like the one in Fernie, BC for breakfast as well.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a little gem in often overpriced Jasper. There is something for everyone - junk, healthy and small portions. My partner had an excellent salad with berries and chicken breast. I had a salmon fillet, veggies and a baked potato. Excellent value and good quality.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Four of of us ate here for dinner on our first night in Jasper. We'd travelled a lot of miles that day so just wanted to find somewhere not too expensive to have a quick meal before heading back to the hotel. We had a quick check on Trip Advisor and the reviews weren't too bad, but looking back afterwards all those reviews seem to be for breakfast.
The restaurant has a diner feel to it and we ate early as we have a toddler. We weren't expecting anything amazing, but even so we were horribly disappointed that we actually paid for the food we had!
I had salmon and it was the worst piece of salmon I've ever had. It was completely dry and had no flavour to it. The vegetables were swimming in water which was making all the other food wet and the jacket potato was not good and I couldn't finish it. My meal also came with garlic bread which tasted so strongly of margarine I couldn't eat it.
We had wanted a quick meal as we were tired, but the food came so quick that it must have just come straight out if the freezer, into the microwave for a couple of minutes and onto our table. We would have been better off buying ready meals from the supermarket - any microwave meal I've had before tasted much better that the food I had here, and that's saying something!
I wanted to say something, but my husband was so tired after a long drive that he just wanted to get back to the hotel so I had to hold my tongue.
If you're looking for a cheap quick meal in Jasper, do yourself a favour and go to a supermarket instead!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were met by Sarah, our delightful waitress who was very helpful at navigating the possibilities. The food was hot, delicious and plentiful. My husband and I took a carry out box along for the trip home. There were many choices and substitutions for regular menu items. I noticed that the servers made variations for visitors from abroad at tables behind and in front of us. The price was very reasonable and the service was excellent.