“Terrific”

Ranked #31 of 90 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our "cabin in the woods", Tekarra Restaurant, Jasper's fine dining experience since 1952. Chef Dale Nutt, and owners Mike and Cyndi Day, created a menu inspired by regional products such as Alberta bison and AAA beef, Wild Boar, free run chicken, and Arctic Char. Our appetizers feature small and shared plates and follow the same theme with meat and cheese boards, house smoked trout, and deviled eggs with bacon jam, to name but a few. Our service team, led by Jesse Lent, are here to ensure you have an enjoyable, relaxing dining experience. Cheers!
Calgary, Canada
“Terrific”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Tekarra restaurant is in a building that resembles a ski lodge with touches of mountain décor inside. it is located outside Jasper (but just barely) as part of a resort lodge. We managed to get reservations but only because we picked an early time - the place is a reasonable size but filled up during the time we were there. The more impressive thing is that two servers handled the whole restaurant and did it well. The service was very good and our waiter was very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and helped us pick a nice wine that went well with our eclectic food choices.
The food was great. we started with a complimentary amuse bouche of fried chickpeas with a mint sauce followed by stuffed Persian dates and savoury profiterole that could be ordered by the piece. All were good but the dates were sublime.
We chose appetizers that we thought were new and different - an elk tourtiere and scallops done with braised pork belly - both very tasty and very well done. The tourtiere especially considering that all the pastries and breads were done in-house. We then moved to a macadamia crusted rack of lamb with squash puree and crisp truffle mashed potato (outstanding) and a sous vide venison loin served with a blueberry sausage. I was hesitant to order a meat that was only going to be cooked to a med-rare but the chef was accommodating enough to give it a quick sear for me, making it just about perfect. though we were full we ordered dessert anyway - a ginger brulee and a shortbread tartlet - again our hats off to the pastry chef; what a marvelous dessert.
My only criticism on the whole meal was that the appies and the mains could have been served hotter. other than that it was a terrific meal and I will be happy to stop by there again on my next Jasper visit.

2 Thank Nick D

Portola Valley, California
“Tekarra Restaurant - a mixed review”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The Tekarra Restaurant is located at the Tekarra Lodge on Hwy 93A a few miles out of town. The Lodge is a series of rustic cabins dating back to the 40s and 50s and reasonably well maintained. The restaurant is very high end with a focus on food presentation of their ala carte menu with small, creative portions. My wife and I spent 4 days in Jasper and this was our first evening’s dinner based upon customer reviews. It was also our most expensive evening at just under $150 including dinner (no drinks or wine), tax and tip.

We started with the scallops and crab roll appetizers which were excellent. My wife ordered the beef filet which was perfectly cooked and had a delicious sauce. I debated between the venison tenderloin and the artic char. The waiter suggested the venison. I ordered it rare to medium rare knowing the venison tenderloin has almost no fat, needs to be cooked quickly and served very pink. It came medium well to well done and was a dry as shoe leather. The cinnamon based sauce was much to strong for the delicate venison flavor. We were dining at 8:30 and the restaurant was busy. My wife’s filet takes longer to cook and I suspect both entrees were started together or possibly my venison sat in a warming oven way to long. We finished the evening with the crème brule for dessert which was excellent.

So a very mixed review of the restaurant. Great service, small ala carte portions, very showy presentations, a very disappointing venison entrée and our most expensive evening in Jasper. We much preferred our other evening dinners while in Jasper.

canberra
“excellent service & food”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

there were many choices in the menu, even had a kids menu.
the food & service was very good .
it deserves to be the listed as the 2nd best in Jasper.

Visited July 2014
Banff, Canada
“Birthday beauty!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We went for girlfriends bday and had a wonderful experience! The food was exquisite, service from Tanya was spot on! We had a great table on the patio at dusk. Amazing scallops and crab roll appetizers. Sous vide venison and beef pampardelle pasta were delish! We will definitely be back. Great location, great atmosphere....a wonderful find only minutes from downtown Jasper.

Edmonton,AB
“Over the Top!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked the restaurant on line after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. Firstly; their web site was user friendly, we were able to read the menu online and reserve online. An email confirmation followed promptly. This dinner was to celebrate our anniversary and everything that night was superb. We were able to sit outside and enjoy the great weather (and no mosquitos). We started with appetizers; scallops for myself and the elk tourtiere for my husband. The scallops were done perfectly;served with crispy pork belly and a lovely seafood sauce. My husband loved his tourtiere; very flavorful. Then we shared the amaranth and spinach salad - maybe a little overdressed if I were to be picky. For the main course, my husband chose the Alberta beef filet - cooked exactly as he requested and he loved the "scalloped" potato dish that accompanied it. I chose the pasta with beef and was not disappointed. Great flavors. We had the crème brulee for desert and unfortunately were unable to finish it - just too much great food. My only small complaint was that the coffee was not as hot as it should have been. We could have requested a new cup but it wasn't that important to us. We will certainly (and already have) will recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank frenchtravellers77