“Good Overview”

Galt Museum & Archives
Ranked #3 of 36 things to do in Lethbridge
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We were especially glad for the professionalism of the staff and curator. We were doing some research on an old blanket and the curator was very helpful. We compliment the staff on presenting a good overview of the early days in Lethbridge and Alberta in general. We were visiting between exhibits, (the whirl-a-gig show was to start the next week) but that is to be expected in any museum. The lighting and seating for some of the exhibits could stand some improvement, and those details take time. Parking is nearby. View of the canyon is spectacular. One could take a picnic lunch and stroll around the nearby paths. I believe you could also take a lunch inside the museum lobby as well. Thank you.

All reviews
"receptions"
"gault"
"artwork"

Reviewed 23 May 2013

My family and I visited the museum on July 1st and holy wow, they had all sorts of games and activities set up for kids and their families. Excellent view of the Old Man River and coulee over to the west side of the city. The museum is a so-so collection but probably good for a small city like Lethbridge.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

The Galt Museum is an excellent venue to review the history of Lethbridge. And it is interactive - therefore children enjoy the exhibits as well. My grandsons couldn't get enough of sitting on the train and watching the pictures of Lethbridge. I think the Galt Museum has something for everyone and I want to go back soon. Thank you Galt Museum for all your hard work!

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I don't mind paying admission to a museum but when I pay admission and have to deal with about 100 kids running around doing crafts in one end of the building, and some type of event on the other end, and this isn't a long building by any stretch of the imagination, I just wanted to leave! I still went in to see the exhibits and was disappointed but at least it was a bit quieter, only because we were the only ones in the exhibit space! I thought this was a museum?

It was a strange experience to notice that everything going on was not related to the museum, giving us museum-goers a bad experience. But maybe that was why no one was there to see the exhibits, because they were smart enough to stay away.

Would be a nice venue to rent, and apparently they run a bit of a daycare on the weekend, but avoid the museum part of things as I think they forgot that that is what they are.....!?

3  Thank Chantelletiff
GaltMuseum, Public Relations Manager at Galt Museum & Archives, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thanks very much for your review; we're sorry we didn't meet your museum expectations. Weekdays [school tours, especially plentiful in May and June] and early Saturday afternoons are now indeed very busy at the Galt; our hour-long Saturdays at 1:00 program for families has certainly grown in popularity.

This weekly program moves to weekdays [Wednesdays or Thursdays] in June-September this summer, becoming a drop-in program from 1:00-4:00 pm. The topics are all based in history and related to our special and permanent exhibits in some way; program admission also includes Discovery Hall access.

Of course, it is wedding season, and because this is a popular wedding venue it is likely to see a wedding in progress on Saturdays and some Fridays.

Please let us know if you'd like to come back for a quieter visit; we may even be able to take you along on a behind-the-scenes tour: info@galtmuseum.com.