“Not as advertised”

Sandman Hotel Lethbridge
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Lethbridge
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I selected this location based upon having stayed at other locations, this location was not comparable. The hotel is old and shows the age, the grout was coming away from the floor tiles in the bathroom, the air conditioner doesn't fit in the hole in the wall, you can see daylight around it. the pigeons land on the railings outside and you hear them in the room, the internet works sometimes, there is no business center was converted into a car rental location. Raised these issues with management 6 weeks later I received a gift certificate for one nights stay not at any location but the same location. LOL I travel and made that clear at the time I contacted customer services, the gift certificate was valid for 14 days.

Room Tip: The hotel is old and needs a lot of work, which management acknowledged, renovations were planed for...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
SandmanLethbridge, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Lethbridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

First I would like to opportunity to thank you for your feedback, Guests comments whether good or bad are opportunities for us to improve upon the service we bring.

I am disappointed to hear your stay with us was less than satisfactory, but am happy to tell you since your stay 10 months ago we have gone through room and service upgrades.
Some of these upgrades includes a new internet system (wifi & hard-line); Flat screen TV’s in all of our rooms, a guest computer station and much more has been done and we will continue with other renovations and updates to the building.

With these changes since your last stay I would encourage you to try us again, and please feel free to contact myself directly for your booking.
I thank you again for your feedback.

Doug Hayes – General Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We found this hotel to be reasonably priced for our one night stay. We did hear some hallway noise at night as well as some noise coming from the parking lot but it didn't go on for too long. There were two double beds and the room was clean and nicely updated.. The location was convenient as we were continuing on to Yellowstone the next morning. Would stay again if passing through town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This Dog Friendly hotel is on a major north-south highway that bisects the city of Lethbridge. The two queen-sized beds we were promised on the 5th floor were actually 2 double beds; updated (you could not call this a renovation!) with new bedspreads, jet-black counter tops in the bathroom and some newer furniture. The free breakfast at Denny's which is part of the hotel (included in our stay) was pancakes, bacon and scrambled eggs. No options, choice or substitutions.... couldn't even "pack-it-to-go" for us (the waitress clearly pointed out it is Dine In Only). Good stay with no surprises and certainly no WOW factor anywhere.

Room Tip: We really appreciated the fact that this hotel is Dog Friendly.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This is a good hotel with reasonable rates, clean rooms, and good staff. Pretty much what you'd expect from a hotel of this class. The biggest issue I found was the location. I stayed over the Street Wheelers weekend (did not participate, just happened to be in town) and there is a liquor store located right next to the hotel. Needless to say, this isn't an issue at most times, but over this particular weekend, it filled up the parking lot next to the hotel with lots of intoxicated people. Not really my cup of tea.

One other small issue I encountered was that the wireless did not work most of the time in my room, it seemed to cut in and out at random.

Overall, a decent hotel if you can get a good rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed at the Sandman in May for a hockey tournament. As it was just my son and I travelling, we accessed a great deal on the Junior Corporate King room. We had an overall good experience.

The rooms are modern and nice. Have been renovated at some point, our room seemed to have been done but some corners maybe cut? Would not receive my top rating for cleanliness, but nothing we couldn't deal with... Comfortable bed & pillows, plenty of towels. Microwave, fridge and coffee station were a nice touch in the room. Took advantage of the in-hotel 24 hour Denny's a few times and were happy with the service and food.

The kids used the pool, that was equipped with nice seating for us "observers"... there is no hot tub, but the kids didn't mind. If I were swimming I would have liked one...

The front desk was very accommodating to us in a late check out on our final day.

Elevators were slow and often picked up passengers going the opposite direction... I would have loved to take the stairs as an alternative but being on the 8th floor with a hockey bag didn't make this efficient.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed here in mid May for a hockey tournament and the location was great for staying near the arena we were playing at. The rooms are quite narrow and small and the beds are only doubles, not queens ( in your standard room). The beds have been replaced recently and are very comfortable, thus we slept really well. The a/c unit in the room was noticeable but did not wake us from our sleep. The carpets are quite outdated and quite dirty, as walking around the room caused our socks and feet to become very black.... The onsite pool is just a rectangular pool but a decent size. There is a Denny's on site (24 hrs) and the hotel staff are very courteous and helpful. There is also a lounge on site. We had a nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

I had an eye operation in february and had to stay in the sandman cause of other personel reasons, , they were just great for me in all ways ..
Room clean every day and also towels, sheets, ,and all what's belonging in the room ..
Had a good stay ...Thx