“Don't forget the Dumpling House”
Review of Jiayuan Dumpling House - CLOSED

Jiayuan Dumpling House
Description: Welcome to Jiayuan Dumpling House, we serve authentic Northeastern Chinese food here at the restaurant. You can discover handmade dumplings, noodles, wontons and so much more!
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had been told by numerous people to go to the Dumpling House and it always slipped our mind until about a month ago.
It may be just a tiny little hole in the wall but that's part of its charm. Family-run and offering nothing but homemade dumplings and noodles, it's an outstanding experience.
We've been twice now and sampled two or three different kinds of dumplings, the deep fried won tons, noodle topped with pickled mustard and the fried rice. All have been excellent.
It's not the quickest meal you'll ever eat but that matters none. The waitress is helpful and eager to please, the prices are excellent and you really feel as though you are getting an authentic dish.
Get there early, they only open from 5 to 7:30 p.m. for dinner and the seating is limited.
They don't have a liquor license as of yet either, so if you want wine with your meal, order pick-up and take it home.
We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Trevor K
There are newer reviews for Jiayuan Dumpling House

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is a Lethbridge gem. It is a small elongated space, very simple but clean. I've been there twice and have been served by a very efficient girl whom I assume is the daughter of the owners. She is an excellent server, polite and efficient and very helpful. Both times I had the Handmade noodle topped with pickled mustard root and port meat sauce and cilantro. The menu is direct and to the point in what it says the dish has is what you get. As first glance you don't think there's enough sauce to cover the noodles but once you dig in and give the dish a good mix the balance of flavours is apparent, not too much sauce but just enough to coat the noodles with the pickled mustard and pork balancing everything and the cilantro giving a burst of freshness to each mouthful. I have also had the boiled dumplings with ground pork & bok choy but this time opted for the pan-fried. I also tried the Three-Delicious Dumplings, stuffed with ground shrimp, pork, & scrambled egg. The dough of the dumpling wrapper is perfect, pan-fried perfectly so that they were just crispy on the bottom while the rest had a slight chewy texture that this type of dumpling should have. They are served with the requisite black vinegar sauce. Of the 2 kinds the Three-delicious had more flavour & I think by scrambled they meant that the filling had beaten egg added to it as I couldn't really see "scrambled eggs" when I bit into one. The dumplings are small compared to the size one normally gets in Chinese restaurants but obviously made in house and not mass produced and brought in. I ended up eating the bowl of noodles and 12 dumplings. It was a bit too much but you know how it is when it gets to too little to take home and too good to waste. The last visit I opted to try pancakes stuffed with sweet bean paste as this is a favourite dessert from my childhood. They are basically a fried bread with a thin layer of bean paste spread in the middle, perfect bread, again just crispy on the outside & enough bean paste to sweeten it up without being cloying. This is a must visit any time I am in Lethbridge place, especially when you want authentic chinese dumplings. I found parking easily in front of the restaurant. I like the wide roads in Lethbridge that allow for angled street parking on both sides of the street.

1  Thank Eswina N
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Very good very fresh food prepared to order every time. It serves Dumplings!! A small menu but so good. We ordered a variety of steamed and fried and every one was just delicious. Charming waiter who I believe was the owners daughter.

2  Thank brobecs
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have eaten here on four occasions and what a treat it always is. Yes your order may take a little longer to arrive but that's because delicious food takes time to prepare. I've sampled all of the dumplings and a couple of soups and the wontons. The homemade noodles in the soups are a real bonus. I especially like the pleasant staff. One time my grandson was given a complimentary juicebox which was much appreciated. This restaurant is not licensed and the prices are very reasonable. Don`t hesitate to give Jiayuan Dumpling House a try.

1  Thank SharonLethbridge
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is a great spot for lunch or dinner. The space is small and often very busy over the lunch hour. I find it easier getting a table for dinner.
The menu is simple but sufficiently diverse and, as the name suggests, the dumplings are a crowd pleaser. I prefer the boiled dumplings, particularly the “wood-ear” variety, to the fried with pork. The noodle soup bowls are a little too subtlety flavored and are not my favorites. I do, however, think the sesame pancakes (only available for dinner) and the peanut and celery salad are wonderful!
I have heard people complain about the slow service but I have never found this to be a problem myself.

1  Thank melodytimeranch