“LOVED THIS HOTEL!”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Canada
“LOVED THIS HOTEL!”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We stayed here one night for business and thought it was excellent value for our money. It is in a very central location Med Hat surrounded by restaurants and stores. However, we didn't leave and ate a breakfast and dinner buffet in their Jungle Cafe located in the hotel.

The dinner buffet was on special for $12.49 pp and had the largest selection of cakes, pies and squares that we had ever seen. Best part? They were all delicious. The dinner part included chicken, ribs, veggies, roast, Ginger beef, rolls, pasta, Yorkshire pudding, salads and more. We rolled out of there.

The casino being attached to the hotel was also very nice. We spent about an hour in there amusing ourselves.

Then we went to the pool and waterslides. Those slides are fun - and definitely not for kids only. We also enjoyed the big hot tub. They also had a kids pool, a regular pool and a steam room but we stuck to the slides and hot tub. Lots of fun.

The wifi and parking were also free which is a big plus to mention.

When I checked in I received 2 complimentary hot breakfast buffet passes which was very nice and unexpected. If you don't want to use them toward breakfast, they are worth $5.00 each in their restaurants.

The breakfast buffet was great - fruits, cereal, yogurt, waffles, French toast, toast, croissants, muffins, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, home fries and - the biggest, freshest most delicious cinnamon buns! Those buns won me over - they were comparable to Cinnabon.

We also ordered room service and the prices were very decent ($8 for a meat lovers pizza).

The service in the restaurant and at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Checkout was quick and easy.

The room itself was nice - we had a king room with a nice living area with sofa. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The TV was the biggest and nicest flat screen we have seen in a hotel in a while. Our room was not facing the pool area and was nice and quiet.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank sxacysxacy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This is my second stay at the Medicine hat lodge and hopefully not my last. I'll start by saying I could have stayed in a lot of other places that were much closer to my work but decided on this one simply because i had stayed here before and loved it. It is clean and the staff are extremely pleasant. This hotel has an enormous water slide, children's pool and hot tub all in one area. Don't let the word children fool you, i spent a lot of time on the slides. The hotel provided a coupon for a free breakfast or to use at the casino. The breakfast was excellent with a large selection and not just muffins and coffee. It really is self contained and everything you need is within the building. I really can't express enough gratitude to the staff. As I got home and realized I had left some clothing there. it is already taken care of and being shipped to me. Thanks for a great stay and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: A lot of rooms face the pool area. It may be a bit noisy through the day but shuts down at night. Yo...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank welltravelled2409
Victoria
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The hotel is renovating but doing their best not to inconvenience travellors. The hotel is well marked and close to HWY 1 and about twenty minutes away from the airport.

There are two restaurants and good food in either.

The waterslides and pool will keep children occupied.

Rooms are clean and have comfortable beds.

There are plenty of amenities in the area withn Tim Horton's across the street.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FergusVictoria
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I've stayed at the Medicine Hat Lodge on many occassions, and this one didn't disappoint. The room was comfortable, food was good, and ammenities plenty. My only criticisms are with the thermostat and the hot tub in the pool area. The rooms do not have individual thermostats, rather there is just a dial and a fan switch on a wall unit. It either blows hot or cold air, with minimal temperature control. The hot tub in the pool area could be a bit warmer and have more water in it. While I was there the hot tub was only luke warm. I would advise booking through travelocity.com instead of with the hotel directly since the price is about $30/night cheaper. I'm not sure why this is but it has been consistent each time I have stayed here. I would recommend this hotel for both business and family travelers.

Room Tip: Upgraded rooms cost a little extra but are renovated. If you aren't planning to spend much time...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PsychRN12
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2011

We stayed twice at this hotel in one week and booked a few hours before arrival. The first time we had a pool-side room, it was a bit noisy until 10 PM, then it was nice and quiet. We had a nice room with king size bed and used the A.L.M.discount card.
The room cost us $ 50 each night ($ 149 value), also the meals were half price. On our second stay we had an identical room , only the location was on the other side and without pool noise.
We did not use the pool this time, it was very busy (thanksgiving weekend) with lots of families with children enjoying it. They especially liked the large slide.
We were not allowed to use the discount card on the Sunday buffet, which surprised us. The card says that it is not valid on MAJOR holidays, Thanksgiving day was on MONDAY....we could not convince the restaurant manager that this was wrong. The strange thing was that the discount was given on the room without a problem, but not on the buffet. Good to know for next time!
All in all, we did enjoy our stay, the food was excellent and great value with our A.L.M. card. You can contact the hotel on how to obtain one.

Room Tip: Ask for renovated rooms, poolside when you have a children and other side if you like a quieter room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heinekengirl
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My wife and I had a poolside room and we were not happy with it. The room was old and in need of renovation. There were very long hairs all over the bathroom floor and tub. The next morning (Monday) we wanted to sit in the hot tub before we left and couldn't because it was cleaning it's self. I asked the attendent why they didn't do that at night and he said he didn't know. All the staff was very nice. The room was about $180 and certainly not even worth half of that.

Room Tip: I know they have new rooms and that might be something to ask for.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James C
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I was on a buisness trip, the rooms were big and clean. I was in a quiet area, I was not awaken by the people walking in the halls which normaly happen in hotels. I also ordered room service twice, the food was good, not over priced and it came within 20 min.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Nicole977
Evan85, Rooms Division Manager at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
We would like to thank you for such a glowing review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you once again for having contributed to the Trip Advisor community.

Regards