“Jared Gant, the light of my life”

Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Naklo nad Notecia, Poland
“Jared Gant, the light of my life”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

After arriving in Medicine Hat with trepidation [because of its thoroughly odd name], I came to find comfort in Medicine Hat Lodge Resort. The Lodge, at first glance, may seem to be just like any other- I can assure you it is not. What sets this Lodge apart from the rest is its employees, one in particular. His name was Jared Gant, and he made my trip a pleasurable one. Mr. Gant works as a pool boy, but don't let his lowly title fool you; he is by far the best pool boy our Earth has ever nurtured. His impeccable dress, constant politeness, and charming smile made me feel as if I was still at home being served supper by old, old grandmother. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Gant is not like my grandmother [apart from his beautiful eyes], but it is the positive feelings he simply exudes from his body. Once again I must say thank you to the Lodge, and another big thank you to Jared Gant. You are the light of my life.

1 Thank Bob Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Room was good, plus free buffet breakfast, NOT continental. Room was clean, spacious and everything you need. They give you a coupon for a hot buffet breakfast, includes scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, plus pastries, and the rest of the stuff you normally get --but so much better than a regular continental breakfast. It was handy to have a liquor store right on the property, and the casino took some money from us too!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel while traveling through to Calgary. I have stayed here numerous times before and offered many suggestions on how this property could improve. This stay was the final straw. My room was the same as before, including no thermostat in the room. When I tried to adjust the fan, I was only able to get the unit to turn on, which took some time as well. There is no real temperature setting - either hot or cold. I noticed that the window had a gap even when closed. Thankfully it is summer, but I can imagine the room could get quite cold in the winter. I ended up not eating in the restaurant since the menu hasn't changed in a long time and I have had everything at least once. The pool and hot tub were okay. The thing that made me most angry was the wireless internet. I was unable to get on and called the front desk. They sent up a maintenance person, who told me that my computer was an issue (I have a Mac) and that my room in the back hallway gets poor reception. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I have stayed in many hotels over the years and have never had my computer as an excuse. When I complained, the front desk offered to move me to another room or accomodate me in one of the conference rooms to work in. It was 10 at night and I really wasn't interested in picking up everything and moving. At checkout, they didn't ask how my stay was or offer any compensation for my problems. I was very disappointed with the service received and am getting tired of waiting for this hotel to make changes that would bring them in line with other more similar hotels in the area. I am a Loyalty Express member which allows me a cheaper rate, but this doesn't make up for the lack of care to details. If you are a family that is just looking at the waterpark I guess you could stay here. If you are looking for other amenities and quality, I would advise looking elsewhere. I would suggest the Days Inn or the Holiday Inn which are in the immediate area. Though they don't have a restaurant on site, they do offer a free breakfast, have a pool/hot tub, and free wireless internet that works.

1 Thank PsychRN12
medicinehatlodge, Guest Services Coordinator at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you for your time in posting comments about your recent stay at the Medicine Hat Lodge. The feedback we receive from our guests is a great opportunity in helping us to improve.
I am very sorry to hear that your most recent visit with us failed to meet your expectations and assure you that all concerns address in your review have been passed along to the department managers.
I have tried to call and personally discuss your concerns with you, but was unable to reach you. Please contact me via jladouceur@medhatlodge.com at your earliest convenience to discuss your stay and some different options to prevent the maintenance issues you had noted in your review.
Thank you for your comments, and I hope to hear from you soon!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed at the Medicine Hat Lodge for one night on business. There are a number of things happening at this hotel (waterslides, small casino, small conference centre) but none are particularly impressive. I liked the free drink voucher I received as a corporate guest, and the included breakfast was fine, if not outstanding. The room was clean and large, though in the future I'd stay away from the poolside rooms and look to get something that at least has more natural light. The gym in the basement is small and really needs a few fans to get the air circulating. It's located across a street from a big-box shopping area, so there are options for big-chain eating close by. Montana's is not bad and just across the street.

Room Tip: Kids would probably love the poolside rooms. As a single business adult, I would have felt a little...
1 Thank Colwit
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay at the Medicine Hat Lodge. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and will pass along the concerns with the lighting in the rooms and air circulation in our fitness centre to our maintenance department.
Being located close to the Medicine Hat Mall and with the many restaurants including our own is a great feature for our guests to experience while staying with us.
Again we appreciate the review and look forward to your next stay.
Red Deer
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

The rooms were amazing..our stay was great and we got an awesome deal on our rooms...we had a balcony over looking the 2 waterslides and pool...with free late night cookies and milk for kids and a bar and casino for us adults it was great...

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your past stay with us at the Medicine Hat Lodge. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all of the amenities the hotel has to offer.
We have changed our weekend milk and cookies, to a Movie Night Under the Star for all ages to enjoy, and hope that you get to attend on your next visit to Medicine Hat.
I hope to see you and your family again soon.
NW Ontario
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We called while on the road to make a reservation, I requested adjoining rooms and was told they were all out, so we booked to rooms on the same floor, one of our party has medical issues and needed to be very close. When we went to our rooms the heat in the elevator and hallways was extreme, the elevator was slow and the other out of order, we couldn't wait to get to our room and turn on the a/c but it wouldn't turn on we called the front desk and they sent up maintenance, he arrived 5 min later and told us the motor was blown and it would take at least 2 to 3 hours to fix. I went back to the front desk and let them know and I was told that they would move us to another room at the other end of the hall, but it was far to distant from the other room. She then offered us two rooms on another floor, I asked if they were side by side and she said yes I then took a chance and asked if there were any adjoining on that floor and she said yes, what??? I asked for adjoining two hours ago and was told there were none, she sais "oh really" We went up to the higher floor checked our a/c in both rooms and opened up the adjoining doors, so total wasted time 2 hours and we finally got the rooms we asked for 4 hours earlier, I'm not sure why they gave us the run around? I was not happy. Also they put us in pool side rooms it's very noisy and considering we don't have kids with us it would have nice to be on the other side of the building not pool side. The hotel looks old and a bit dirty, walls, glass, windows etc are filthy, carpets are also dingy, air conditioning units are ancient and can barely keep up to the internal heat of this hotel. Towels are old and tattered looking. I'm still listening to screaming kids in the pool, did I mention its loud in this room and hot!. I am off to bed and will add to this in the morning.

Room Tip: rooms poolside are extremely noisy and check the room to make sure everything is in working order es...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kaatteeyy
Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay in the Medicine Hat Lodge.
I apologize that you encountered multiple problems during your stay; this is not an experience we want our guests to have during their vacation. I understand your frustration, having to move rooms and experiencing air conditioning problem, I have informed maintenance after speaking with you upon checkout.
I have discussed the miscommunication about the adjoining rooms with our front desk staff, to prevent the confusion with future guests.
Again I apologize that you did not have a wonderful stay, and would like you to contact me at your earliest convenience via jladouceur@medhatlodge.com.
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2013

As usual the hotel was fantastic food was great customer service was great everything was wonderful the only thing I would say is that we sat in the lounge in the Casino and did not get served we turned around and went to fountains lounge and had great service by Trina. That was minimal while we were there the flood was coming and the teamwork that the staff and management have at the Medicine Hat lodge is amazing. Great Job everyone

Room Tip: if you are staying with a family stay in the bigger rooms as they were very accommodating for our fa...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family