“Frustrated to tears in nice hotel”

Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Medicine Hat
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Our family traveled to Medicine Hat to attend a fanily wedding. We were told a block of rooms were set aside for the wedding yet we were all on different floors. This was not a real problem. I had requested a room near an elevator since I had just had a knee replacement. They tried to find a room but were olny able to accomodate us with a third floor room half way down the hall. They were full, so we also understood that. The room, was fine, clean and in order.......... once we were able to get the keys to work to let us in. We struggled with it for quite some time. Each time we left our room we had to go to the desk to get new keys. It was very annoying to say the least. That evening after a wonderful time at the wedding reception held in the hotel, I ventured back to our room while my husband went to the casino for a bit. The key once again wouldn't work. Back down to the lobby for another key. The new key wouldn't work either. Back down I went again jackets and cameras in hand to get yet another key. Yes, again it didn't work. The next time I went down to the desk I was near tears and asked them to please, just let me in my room. They did so and I went to bed. I woke to the sound of my husband knocking on the door as his key wouldn't work either.
The next morning we took in their Sunday buffet. It was delicious and I would recomend trying it at least once. We were checking out that day and went back to the room to gather our luggage. As usual the keys wouldn't work. I asked a housekeeper to let us into our room. She called maintenance. The maintenance man came and fixed the lock in time for us to check out. I thanked him and he said it was nice of us to save the next guests the same frustration we had by calling him.
I just need to ask why the front desk people didn't send for maintenance the day before. Why did it take a housekeeper to finally get to the bottom of things.
Frustration aside, We would still stay there again. We slept well and it was clean........that is the biggest part of a hotel stay. It is amazing how many rooms wouldn't hold a candle to room 314 at the Medicine Hate Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Evan85, Rooms Division Manager at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. I completely agree with you that the front desk agent should have addressed this issue by sending our maintenance team in the first place. This experience was a lesson for the Guest Services Team to learn from and I apologies to you for your inconvenience. I certainly do hope that we can welcome you again and allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Regards
Evan
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2010

This hotel is quite pricey, especially compared to the numerous other hotels along the #1 highway in Medicine Hat but doesn't do anything extra to justify the cost. For example, check-out is 12pm and when we called to ask for a late check-out, they said "The latest we can give you is 12:15".

We were traveling with a three year old and the paddling pool had an "Out of Order" sign on it so we didn't get to take full advantage of the poolside room we paid a $20 premium for (we could still go in the bigger pool with him of course but had to keep his water wings on and a much closer eye on him than if he was in the paddling pool.)

Finally, the weirdest part of our stay. At a previous hotel on our trip, we'd been offered a free upgrade to a better room without even asking. So I thought I'd ask for an upgrade here from the pool view room we originally booked to a pool side one. The clerk said he couldn't do it since they only had a limited number of poolside room but he'd "make it up to me some other way". I saw him reach for some coupons and thought they might be for a discount on food (which would be good since we planned to order room service for supper.) Instead, we got a few "buy one, get one free" drink coupons, good for either of the hotel's two bars. "Can kids go in either of those spots?" I asked. "No, but you could leave your kid in the room after he goes to sleep" said the clerk who I'd just told we have a three-year old.

Maybe other guests visiting the on-site casino do this but I don't think that's good parenting and I definitely don't think clerks at a hotel should suggest that. It gives you the impression that the hotel is a sideline for the casino where they hope tipsy hotel patrons will go to drop even more money while leaving their kids in their rooms - yikes!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
medicinehatlodge, Manager at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Medicine Hat Lodge. We appreciate the feedback, but only wish we could have corrected the problems during your stay. We try to always accommodate our guests so I am sorry to hear we did not honor a late check out.

I did have a chance to look into the issue with the toddler pool and it was unfortunate it happened to be closed due to necessary cleaning & maintenance. The biggest concern is the conduct of one of our employees. I can ensure you this is not our hotel practice and again wished it could have been addressed at the time. I appreciate you taking the time to discuss your stay with me and look forward to meeting you on your next stay.

Denise Risk
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 31 May 2010

We had 7 roms booked for a family reunion the long week end in May with ages ranging from 13 up into the 50's. I'm really glad i choose this hotel for us to stay as We ended up spending more time at the hotel than planned partly due to the crappy weather. there is a variety of places to hang out and visit here. the 'young adults' had tons of fun in the pool/waterslides. The only complains I had from anyone in our group was a few meals were not up to par and service in restaurant/lounge was a little slow at times due to under staffed. Other than that, everyone thought the staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and we all enjoyed the week end.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Dorothy W
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I stayed at the hotel for a week. The room was clean and comfortable. The restaurant had good food and service. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank bob4425
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Took my new wife for a holiday, room was smelly, staff were rude, the food well lets just say eating at the malls food court is better.. but the worst was the casino, I make over 300.000.00 a year and to come to a place and play slot machines, then when it lands on the bonus the screen blinks and changes and takes away the bonus, so this casino has to scam you out of paying 1100 credits, thats 50.00 in real money,. after I reported the problem I got laughed at. and called a lier ..gee what a way to treat customers.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrP1969
medicinehatlodge, General Manager at Medicine Hat Lodge Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing the Medicine Hat Lodge as a choice of hotels to stay at while you and your wife were on holidays.

I am quite concerned about your opinion regarding your room, food and our staff. Perhaps you would be comfortable contacting me so I can get more details and address the matter accordingly.

With respect to the Casino, your concerns have been forwarded to the Casino Management / Ownership for their review. Unfortunately, I cannot comment on your casino experience, as the casino is a tenant of the hotel and we do not actively take a role in their operation. However, as our guest, we want you to have the very best experience while staying at our property. Therefore I would welcome an opportunity to address your concerns.

Thank you I will look forward to speaking with you soon. I can be reached by e-mail jfraser@medhatlodge.com or directly at (403) 502-8170.

Jason Fraser
Medicine Hat Lodge

Reviewed 25 January 2010

If you are looking for ammenities such as a waterpark or casino as part of your stay, this hotel might be for you. Otherwise, if you are a traveller who is looking for a clean, fresh room with reliable internet service, I would suggest looking elsewhere. The renovations scheduled for this hotel are long overdue. I would not recommend staying here especially considering the other options available in the city at similar rates.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandy2418
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Many things need attention at the hotel.....the Internet connection was only 1 bar, and I mentioned this to the front desk on 2 different days, and all I was told is "we have not had any other complaints". One of the 2 elavators was broke, the steam room was broke, most of the games in the game room were broke, my room had a smoke smell (it was a non-smoking room), and the staff seemed to be more concerned with talking on their cell phones than helping the guests. I usually stay at Marriotts, so perhaps I'm a bit jaded to a highly level of quality, but I expect at least to be treated with respect and have a facility that works!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo